• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    I'm booking a hunt for the Mrs. She wants to get an Axis deer and a 4 Horned Jacob Sheep. I asked the outfitter about minimum calibers for both critters and got a generic-sounding reply that you need a 300 Winmag for both. While I'm sure this guy is trying to maximize chance to kill, I'm detecting a strong aroma of bovine droppings, and a 300 Winmag is not practical for her to shoot.

I imagine any practical deer cartridge will work on Axis but no idea how tough a Jacob sheep is.
    ARJ Defense ad

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    My cousin has a lease in Sonora, lots of axis out there.

Sitting in the stand once he told me he won't shoot an axis with anything under 270. They are bigger, thicker skinned, don't leave blood trail like white tail.

We had a 22-250 and a 270 with us. I believe his wife had a 6.5 Swede.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Axis are no harder to kill than a whitetail. My wife killed hers with her 6.5x47 Lapua at 100’ish yards. It shoveled for about 15 yards before flipping tail over head and was done.

I haven’t shot a Jacobs but they aren’t overly large or tough from what I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    270, 308, 6.5cm & a few other calibers will work just fine. IMO shot placement is what counts. You shoot just about any critter in the neck & theyll drop. I know alot of hunters are about shooting shoulders & hearts but you end up loosing a lot of meat with a shoulder shot.

Heres what a 130ELD .270 will do to a neck. This doe dropped on the spot.

Image-1(3).jpg

Image-1(4).jpg

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    270, 308, 6.5cm & a few other calibers will work just fine. IMO shot placement is what counts. You shoot just about any critter in the neck & theyll drop. I know alot of hunters are about shooting shoulders & hearts but you end up loosing a lot of meat with a shoulder shot.

View attachment 244200

View attachment 244201
    That's one powerful Freaking staple gun!

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

contender buff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    ft worth tx
    I’ve never shot a axis deer but have killed my share of whitetails. My favorite gun over the years are 30-06 and 22/250. The 22/250 is my go to gun with Nosler 60 grain partition DRT! Very low recoil and a pleasure to shoot.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Ive killed alot of axis deer with my 308. Bullet always ends up on the inside of the hide on the side opposite of the entrance wound. Contrast that with whitetails where the exit wound is gnarly and blood trail extensive using the same rifle. They have thick hides but any deer caliber will work as long as you can shoot effectively

That goat will drop dead from just about anything. My wife shot a Texas dall with the same 308 and it died on the spot

These high fence guides always suggest 300 wm because they dont want to track anything, alot of people cant shoot worth a shit so they are hoping that a 300wm to the guts will get it done better than a smaller caliber. Idk its all horseshit. Just take your whitetail caliber of choice with you and dont miss

Last edited:

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin

View attachment 244200

View attachment 244201
    Are those them lazer beam 270s that you were punching holes through the ar500 plates with? Holy hell

c.tiberius

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 28, 2015
    Ive killed alot of axis deer with my 308. Bullet always ends up on the inside of the hide on the side opposite of the entrance wound. Contrast that with whitetails where the exit wound is gnarly and blood trail extensive using the same rifle. They have thick hides but any deer caliber will work as long as you can shoot effectively

That goat will drop dead from just about anything. My wife shot a Texas dall with the same 308 and it died on the spot

These high fence guides always suggest 300 wm because they dont want to track anything, alot of people cant shoot worth a shit so they are hoping that a 300wm to the guts will get it done better than a smaller caliber. Idk its all horseshit. Just take your whitetail caliber of choice with you and dont miss

This right here.... killed a few axis with a 308

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: MTA

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Are those them lazer beam 270s that you were punching holes through the ar500 plates with? Holy hell
    Yes sir, them 130s are going 3050fps ... hot little rounds. But 3/8" AR500 is only rated @ 2850fps. 150gr shoot 2850fps so youd be all good.

Reactions: MTA

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Throw some of these in her 6.5cm & you'll be good to go. They still got over 2000fps @ 500yards

Oh precious, you think there's still ammo on shelves. I handload 143gr ELD-X bullets for her 6.5CM AR. I just had a bad experience with that caliber, she shot a hog with it and it laid down to die. I decided to finish it, blew it's heart out at 10 yards with my 500 S&W lever gun, the bastard got up and charged me. Managed to put one in the spine at 3 feet using the Force.

Probably just a tough hog, but left me wondering if the 6.5 has enough ass.

Top Bottom