• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have a bit of an update and wow.. I didn’t know I was gonna fall this deep into the Humvee rabbit hole!

The rig is in good mechanical condition but me being me.. I wanted a clean slate on maintenance so I started doing inspections and making parts list to get it caught up.

In a short amount of time, this is what I have purchased.

Engine Oil and Filter
    Fuel Filter
    2 NOS GI replacement mirrors
    Complete set of tunnel insulation. This is the thick heavy rubberized sound and vibration mats that cover the entire floor area
    Complete set of radiator hoses
    ELC Coolant for a pending cooling system flush
    5/8 Napa coolant hose and clamps- I already replaced all of the by pass and heater hoses with new clamps
    The center rubber hood bumper (The hood is heavy asf and rest on a 3 point bumper system. One on each fender and one in the center of the hood)

Yesterday I climbed underneath and greases every fitting and there are 24 underneath and one under the dash for the steering. Son of a bitch… I bet I used a half a tube of grease. The good thing is that none of the fittings looked to be dry.
    The steering linkage looks to be in great shape as well as the boots on the half shafts. The front 2 were replaced by the previous owner.

The next fluid drains will be both diffs and the transfer case then the transmission.

I am actually having a damn blast wrenching on this thing and making a to-do list. There isn’t one damn metric anything on it. I haven’t had anything to “work” on besides just changing oil on the family cars which gets boring.

Last evening I took the wife and daughter out on a back road cruise. I know I’m in the honeymoon phase of this relationship but I want another one of these at one point.

My neighbor and his BIL were wrenching on his T Bucket yesterday and they saw the Humvee and walked over and we had some serious car guy bonding going on…lol

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    What are the date stamps on the tires? My '77 pickup runs the same ones and many sellers try to claim age doesn't matter on these but I don't buy it.

The coolant flush is a great plan. The 923 I have was full of water and rust. An army mechanic told me they just filled them with water and that's what I saw. ELC is what I replaced it with after many flushes until it turned clear.

It's a fun rabbit hole to fall down. Easy to work on but on my 923 everything was heavy and overbuilt.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    What are the date stamps on the tires? My '77 pickup runs the same ones and many sellers try to claim age doesn't matter on these but I don't buy it.

The coolant flush is a great plan. The 923 I have was full of water and rust. An army mechanic told me they just filled them with water and that's what I saw. ELC is what I replaced it with after many flushes until it turned clear.

It's a fun rabbit hole to fall down. Easy to work on but on my 923 everything was heavy and overbuilt.
    Tires are a mix of 2017/2016 dates
    There are zero weather cracks visible. They are going to work well for awhile yet.

Mine has red coolant in it..its fine but in need of changing.

The Humvee tires were only built by Goodyear or Michelin and built with Kevlar somehow

Tough SOBs

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    I want to pipe that sweet smelling diesel soot up AL Gores ass and back out into Greta's mouth.

IMG_0744.JPG

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    So I've found a few flaws doing inspections that I wish I would have known to look for so I'm posting here for others benefit
    Nothing horrible or nothing that would have made me not buy it but maybe could have given me some more negotiating fodder.

The passenger seat base serves as the battery box cover
    The originals are made from fiberglass
    They have a tendency to Crack in the rear where they wedge up into a slot that holds them
    Mine was this way and I ordered a new reproduction steel one for $200

It was missing the windshield metal trim that covers up the seal between the frame and the glass.

Just an appearance thing really and I found all 3 parts on ebay for $60

The 3/8 bolt that attaches the generator to the adjustment bracket was missing, probably backed out over time. I had a new bolt here and replaced it and adjustment the belt tension

All in all, it's been a fun an interesting project and I am going to paint it soon whenever my new top comes in and I have the old one off, that will be the best time.

I went to a paint store and had them mix the correct color so I'm excited about that.

Lastly I built a console of sorts out of 2 ammo cans.
    There aren't any creature comforts in these..so these serve as 2 cup holders and I installed the water proof Bluetooth controller for the speaker and a dual USB port for phone charging

I figured it looks military while serving a need.

20230310_175651.jpg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

All in all, it's been a fun an interesting project and I am going to paint it soon whenever my new top comes in and I have the old one off, that will be the best time.

I went to a paint store and had them mix the correct color so I'm excited about that.

If CARC is on it, be careful.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If CARC is on it, be careful.

Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah..pretty sure that's what's on it since it went thru a refurbishment in 2006
    I will not be sanding on it but maybe in a couple spots
    Other than that just cleaning the surface with some prepsol before painting
    But I will wear a good mask and goggles to be sage

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    This morning I took the lights off and taped it up and shot the hood with the new paint I got for it
    Looks great
    In about 3-4 weeks when the new top arrives I will remove the old top and paint rest of the exterior and the interior
    The shine is from the paint still being wet and the lights
    it's an industrial paint and will dry to a matte type finish.

20230318_123410.jpg

Top Bottom