• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm looking for anyone who has bought a surplus Humvee from the government auction sites or has first hand experience with this.
    I have a auto dealer who is registered to buy from the government (it requires a background check)
    I'd just like to have some insight on how it worked for you and what it takes to get one street legal and registered

Please only 1st hand information. I can and have read so much about it online myself so I'm just looking for someone I can talk to who has done it.

thanks
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Wish I could help but I haven't been following that market for a few years now.

I bought my 5 ton from a private individual that had already titled it. The process was very easy to get it road legal. It was just as easy to sell too.

At the time I could have saved a few bucks buying from an auction site but going that route you really have no clue what kind of mechanical shape they are in.

There are a few really good forums dedicated to the hobby but I'm guessing you have found them already. Back then they were a life saver. Not sure how they have held up though.

You can buy a whole lot of truck relatively cheap going military surplus but there is a learning curve keeping them on the road.

Good luck and enjoy!

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    My dealer friend will buy it and we will pick it up ourselves.
    He said he spends hours studying the photos looking for clues as to what is missing or needed
    Its a risky thing for sure
    You can get super lucky or have to spend more than you want

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The government doesn't sell them directly to the public anymore. DRMO was replaced by the Defense Logistics Agency's Disposition Services in 2010.

Instead of the old auctions, everything is now managed by a company named Ritchie Brothers who run a website called GovPlanet to auction items to the public. Currently there are 98 up for auction, most for between $5000-7500.

And no, you don't need to be "licensed" to buy a HMMWV from GovPlanet, just enough proven credit to show you will pay. You obviously can't export them without a license, but that goes with most military technology.

I am not licensed in any such way, nor did I ever go through any background checks; and can still buy one...

1615773665082.png

Buyers are required to submit an End-Use Certificate (EUC) to be reviewed prior to removal of the item. First-time buyers of Demil B, D, E, F, Q, or C items may experience an extended review period in the Trade

GovPlanet is only permitted to sell Demil B, D, E, F, Q, OR C items within the United States and only to U.S. citizens.

But note these are NOT road legal vehicles! Extensive modifications are required, as is paperwork; but it is possible to get one titled and tagged...

Are Hummers Street Legal? Rules Per State (With Examples)

Making Your Humvee Street Legal – All You Need to Know!

Think about it, if it were easy and cheap to make a HMMWV road legal, you would see a ton of them on Texas roads!

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I guess many here have completely lost their sense of humor

Yeah, I know we have an Alzheimer's patient as a make-believe President and the commie cancel culture is rampant, along with the bowel movement and anti-fag folks not being arrested for the criminals they are, but that's no reason to abandon all sense of humor...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I saw a Government auction for 180 Humvees at $500 total. You had to cut them up into 1” cubes or less per the government requirement with proof of destruction.
    Our government at work. Can’t balance a budget, but can throw money away.

It's not that simple...

Prior to 2014, all surplus military vehicles—even unarmored support vehicles—were under the jurisdiction of the State Department’s United States Munitions List.

Generally, as long as a vehicle remains on that list, it cannot be released from military control unless it is first crushed or scrapped.

In 2014, the Departments of State and Commerce—both of which have a say in managing exports of sensitive material—overhauled the system, with the intent of reserving the State Department’s list for “only those items that provide at least a significant military or intelligence applicability.” The military’s unarmed and unarmored vehicles were transferred to Commerce’s Commerce Control List, which governs items that might have dual military and commercial uses. It is less restrictive than the United States Munitions List, and is primarily for controlling the export of items under its jurisdiction.

In response to the 2014 regulatory change, the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA), which manages the military’s surplus equipment, sought and received an official determination from the Departments of State and Commerce that the two most basic Humvee models, the M998 and the M1038, were governed by Commerce’s list and not State’s. With that official determination, the DLA began selling and donating those Humvee models in 2015. In the years since, however, the agency has not sought the same interagency determination for any other Humvee models.

If a surplus Humvee is governed by Commerce’s list and meets the requirements for domestic sale, the DLA puts the Humvee through a surplus disposal process. That process begins by offering it as a donation to federal agencies and then to state agencies, and, if the Humvee is still in DLA’s inventory, finally offering it for sale through a contractor to the general public. This regular surplus process is distinct from the more controversial 1033 program, which loans armored Humvees and other restricted United States Munitions List equipment such as grenade launchers or Mine-Resistant Ambush Protected vehicles (MRAPs) to local police forces. While unarmored vehicles can also go through the 1033 program, they continue on through the rest of the surplus process when not selected. If restricted surplus vehicles are not selected for the 1033 program, they must either be demilitarized or destroyed.

The demilitarization process for Humvees generally includes removing any restricted weapons, armor, and communications equipment. All vehicles are assigned demilitarization codes indicating whether they must be destroyed, have “key points” that must be destroyed, have export restrictions, or have no restrictions. The military has a flowchart showing the various considerations for assigning codes, and it is possible for two vehicles with the same code to be governed by different lists. The military services are responsible for assigning the codes when vehicles are first procured, but the DLA manages the overall system and verifies that the codes are accurate during the disposal process. The services are not required to fully demilitarize vehicles before they are turned in to the DLA for processing, but they can if they choose to. Likewise, the DLA is not required to perform additional demilitarization work on the vehicles (since crushing also counts as demilitarizing), but it could also hire a contractor to demilitarize the vehicles, according to a 2015 study commissioned by the agency.

(Source)

Top Bottom