ARJ Defense ad

Mercedes E320 anyone have one or knowledge on them???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    Been helping my neighbor across the street get his sprinklers and plumbing in order. He mentions that he is going to sell his 2002 E320 as it just sits since he's working out of state. Didn't think much of it until I picked the older boy up from work and was pulling up to the house. He mentions that the MB across the street would be cool to have (16yo about to get his permit). I tell him go talk to Paul and ask him how much. Long story short, I pulled 5 Benjamins out of my pocket and received keys and a title :)
    I know nothing about these other than I'm sure they have expensive maintenance bills (used to have a Volvo S80 which was a money pit). I figured for the price, he can drive it a couple of years and flip it, then buy something else.
    What say you brain trust of TGT

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    In my former life, I worked at a company called AMCI and we worked on the launch that version of the E Class in 1995...MB snobs know it as the W210. Spent about a week at their former HQ in New Jersey, going over the car and tearing them down with German engineers.

The good:
    The E Class is perennially the top seller in the segment, it’s basically a Camry for wealthy people. Parts are plentiful. Major mechanicals can be reliable ***when maintained properly***. The 3-valve motor isn’t super powerful but can last a good while. Tranny is decent. Generally easy to work on. It’s also close to the last year of production for that chassis, so it’s probably as good as it gets.

And you’re only into the car for a few hundred bucks.

The bad:
    The previous generation W124 chassis is seen as one of the best vehicles ever made. Designed when MB engineered quality cars, and prices were what they were.

The W210 is the first generation of cost-cutting cars that were designed to a price point (you can thank Lexus for that). They weren’t built to the same standards as previous. While solid, it was a turning point for the brand.

That’s why we were with their engineers, they were trying to convince folks that the cars were great despite the cost cutting.

Some really good info here:

Common issues:

What to look for:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    In my former life, I worked at a company called AMCI and we worked on the launch that version of the E Class in 1995...MB snobs know it as the W210. Spent about a week at their former HQ in New Jersey, going over the car and tearing them down with German engineers.

The good:
    The E Class is perennially the top seller in the segment, it’s basically a Camry for wealthy people. Parts are plentiful. Major mechanicals can be reliable ***when maintained properly***. The 3-valve motor isn’t super powerful but can last a good while. Tranny is decent. Generally easy to work on. It’s also close to the last year of production for that chassis, so it’s probably as good as it gets.

The bad:
    The previous generation W124 chassis is seen as one of the best vehicles ever made. Designed when MB engineered quality cars, and prices were what they were.

The W210 is the first generation of cost-cutting cars that were designed to a price point (you can thank Lexus for that). They weren’t built to the same standards as previous. While solid, it was a turning point for the brand.

That’s why we were with their engineers, they were trying to convince folks that the cars were great despite the cost cutting.

Common issues:

What to look for:

Thank you for the info and the links. Looks like lots of learnin' for me and the boy.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS

The good:

The bad:

Common issues:

What to look for:

In my current life this post is true. I owned a 1995 "124" wagon. They continued to sell them into the new body style of the E class sedan. It was my second favorite mercedes I have owned. I currently have a 2009 E class wagon.

To the OP, if you have any questions feel free to post here and tag me or send a PM. If I don't know the answer I can have it in short order.

Here is the small gold colored reminder of time served.
    66e446407b7501ac6ea39e1f7c734c1f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    cvgunman,

While "pronstar' would likely describe me as a "Mercedes SNOB", I would tell you that "pronstar" & "Lost Spurs" are generally CORRECT, though I buy NO Mercedes model that does NOT start with a NUMBER, as in 420SEL, 560SEC, etc.
    (MY PERSONAL FAVORITE in MB cars is the 500, 540 & 560 series of cars, with the BRABUS & AMG cars being the PREMIER cars of that era.)

NOTE: I'm in the process of buying a one owner/very low mileage 560SEC, as "tuned" by BRABUS, out of Southern CA, that has always been garaged & "babied" by the older gentleman who bought it new..

While most of us "snobs" will say that the W210 is INFERIOR to the W124 that preceded it in every way, your son should get GOOD service from the car IF he maintains it WELL/CAREFULLY.
    (MB cars are NOT that difficult to maintain & do basic mechanical work on yourself.)

IMVHO, you NEED to find a GREAT independent MB shop in your area & expect to stay AWAY from service department of the dealers, unless you have "money to burn".

ADDENDA: The STRAIGHT SIX in the W124 (and some other "NUMBER FIRST" MB cars) is a MUCH BETTER ENGINE Than ANY of the MB V-6s are.
    (Even some S-CLASS cars were available with the TOUGH, SIMPLE & LONG-LIVED STRAIGHT 6.)

yours, satx

Last edited:
    Top Bottom