• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    What do you all recommend for out the top mechanical knives? I know Benchmade is top notch (and also expensive) Are there any others that are comparable and preferably made in Texas?

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    This might be of interest:
    Agree that Texas-made would be a huge plus.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    What do you all recommend for out the top mechanical knives? I know Benchmade is top notch (and also expensive) Are there any others that are comparable and preferably made in Texas?
    Expensive and worth every penny.

My EDC for the past 7 years has been a Benchmade. This is the longest I have ever kept a knife that I carry. I think it has a lot to do with the cost. I don't want to lose it and have to buy a replacement.

IMG_3042.JPG

I do not spare its use though and it does see wear and tear, so I send it back to the Benchmade mother ship ever couple years under the LifeSharp program. Every time it comes back with a zero cost invoice listing everything they did. Basicly it comes back with everything new except the nicely sharpened blade and the belt clip.

BladeZealot

Gotta love a 1911!
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 14, 2022
    Retired. I reckon a wanderer

The 2 I have are actually great quality and D2 blade steel. And I'm pretty picky lol.

Cheesy logo...but can't have everything lol.

These have served me every bit as well as any Benchmade or microtech OTF I've ever owned.

Last edited:

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX

The 2 I have are actually great quality and D2 blade steel. And I'm pretty picky lol.

Cheesy logo...but can't have everything lol.
    I just recently saw these at a gun show I was at. There was too many people there for me to stand there and inspect them and ask questions. I will have to check them out.

D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    Expensive and worth every penny.

My EDC for the past 7 years has been a Benchmade. This is the longest I have ever kept a knife that I carry. I think it has a lot to do with the cost. I don't want to lose it and have to buy a replacement.

View attachment 455597

I do not spare its use though and it does see wear and tear, so I send it back to the Benchmade mother ship ever couple years under the LifeSharp program. Every time it comes back with a zero cost invoice listing everything they did. Basicly it comes back with everything new except the nicely sharpened blade and the belt clip.
    I am open to and want to get a benchmade and that is probably the route I will go from all the research I have done. I was just curious if there was anything else out there maybe made locally by someone or a smaller less known company that doesn't have the reach of benchmade but makes exceptional knives.

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Some of their models are USA made. My EDC is a US Kershaw. If you go to Cabelas or similar, just look for the stars and stripes and Made in USA on the packaging.
    I think most others may be Japan...

Most of the under $50 Kershaw knives have a lesser quality steel and don’t hold an edge as well. Once you get to the $80 range and above you get much better knife. Zero Tolerance (ZT) is a sister company to Kershaw and also make excellent choices.

House of Blades in Fort Worth has many examples you can look at across most if not all that were mentioned here.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I am open to and want to get a benchmade and that is probably the route I will go from all the research I have done. I was just curious if there was anything else out there maybe made locally by someone or a smaller less known company that doesn't have the reach of benchmade but makes exceptional knives.
    Wait until you hear about Benchmade chopping up guns...

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    American made Kershaws are a great compromise of cost and quality blade steels. All the American made ones with have the flag on the blade.
    20240604_143745.jpg

justmax

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I don’t own any auto knives at all anymore. When I was repping for microtech guns, I had access to their knives at a pretty good price, but I lost the only one I ever paid big money for.

Currently, I have a Benchmade Griptilion that is an excellent knife. Most of my folders are multitools or Swiss armies. My fix blades are mostly KaBar or Becker/KaBar.

Top Bottom