• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark2Cars

Never ever give up !!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Sanderson Texas
    I realize that I am asking a very opened question.....sort of like which is your favorite salsa !! Way in the past when I was reloading I used a beam scale as my only scale. I have procured a decent digital scale and am looking to buy a beam scale as a way to double check the digital. I picked up an RCBS 5-0-5 off GB and it arrived with the beam bent !! It goes back today. From my research it appears that there are no really good beam scales available as "new" that are made in the USA. I am really tired of supporting the Chinese ! Do any of you know of a decent beam scale made in the USA ? Suggestions on what older scales you like ? Got one for sale ?? As always thanks !!
    Military Camp

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I realize that I am asking a very opened question.....sort of like which is your favorite salsa !! Way in the past when I was reloading I used a beam scale as my only scale. I have procured a decent digital scale and am looking to buy a beam scale as a way to double check the digital. I picked up an RCBS 5-0-5 off GB and it arrived with the beam bent !! It goes back today. From my research it appears that there are no really good beam scales available as "new" that are made in the USA. I am really tired of supporting the Chinese ! Do any of you know of a decent beam scale made in the USA ? Suggestions on what older scales you like ? Got one for sale ?? As always thanks !!
    I picked up a medical antique balance scale with weights for $35 plus 11 shipping on Ebay, Calibrated with two digital scales of friends and it is spot on...looks like a minature analytical balance scale

Mark2Cars

Never ever give up !!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2021
    Sanderson Texas
    1642810385622.png

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    40 cents! To check digital scale accuracy, you need 40 cents. Keep a dime, a nickel and a quarter with the scale. If their weights are the same the scale is accurate. Use the same 40cents every time. By using three different weights you know it will be accurate over a range, not just with one weight.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    A beam scale is just that, a calibrated beam and a knife edge bearing. The beam markings won't move but the bearing can get sticky or worn.

Esoterix

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    RCBS, Lyman and Cabelas sell check weights to insure that your scale is reading properly. A much cheaper and simpler way to verify your scale or caliper is reading the correct measurements is to get some new coins from the bank.

The United State Mints are very exact on their weights, thickness and diameters of each coin they produce.

For the scale, the coins weight is measured in grams out to 3 decimal places 1/1000 or .001 grams !! Much better than your scale's accuracy or need for reloading gunpowder. This is better than weighing a 240 grain bullet that can be out of specifications for comparison. If you throw 10 charges of powder and weight it and divide by 10 you will also be able to verify your consistancy using the powder drop as well.

For your caliper, the thickness or diameter for each coin can be measured to be sure your caliper is reading to correct specifications. This will insure that when measuring your rifle cases for length or diameter, they are correct to SAAMI specifications. Meaning they will load and chamber from a magazine properly. If not, then you need to trim to proper length or full length size the case or chuck the cartridge if showing a bulge or head separation issues, etc...

Stay safe and ask questions when in doubt.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    RCBS, Lyman and Cabelas sell check weights to insure that your scale is reading properly. A much cheaper and simpler way to verify your scale or caliper is reading the correct measurements is to get some new coins from the bank.

The United State Mints are very exact on their weights, thickness and diameters of each coin they produce.

For the scale, the coins weight is measured in grams out to 3 decimal places 1/1000 or .001 grams !! Much better than your scale's accuracy or need for reloading gunpowder. This is better than weighing a 240 grain bullet that can be out of specifications for comparison. If you throw 10 charges of powder and weight it and divide by 10 you will also be able to verify your consistancy using the powder drop as well.

For your caliper, the thickness or diameter for each coin can be measured to be sure your caliper is reading to correct specifications. This will insure that when measuring your rifle cases for length or diameter, they are correct to SAAMI specifications. Meaning they will load and chamber from a magazine properly. If not, then you need to trim to proper length or full length size the case or chuck the cartridge if showing a bulge or head separation issues, etc...

Stay safe and ask questions when in doubt.
    Thanks for posted some very useful information

Top Bottom