WTS Mauser Chileno 1895 With Correct Bayonet (Near Texarkana)

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
Up for sale is a Mauser Chileno 1895 with correct bayonet and with a cloth sling (please note, I have no idea why the word sling was linked to an Amazon advertisement, I did not do it purposefully and see no way to eliminate that link). As for the sling , I do not believe it to be the correct sling but it is dated in the early 1900's. The rifle has all matching numbers except for the bolt - there is no serial number on the bolt. Serial number appears on receiver, stock, mag floorplate, and the cleaning rod. It is in excellent condition. probably retaining at least 90% metal finish up to possibly 95% except for the butt plate. There is no evident rust except on the butt plate and it's not all that bad. The wood has some minor digs but no cracks. Wood finish is very nice. The bore looks pristine to me; it is bright and shiny with excellent rifling. It is a good shooter too. The headspace has been checked with a field head space gauge and was okay. As for the bayonet, it is in excellent condition and comes with the proper scabbard and the proper frog. See the pictures as for condition.

Price is $475.00 with the bayonet. I will not sell them separately. Shipping additional and will be $45.00 flat rate. I only ship via UPS so make sure they can and do deliver to your address. No sales or shipping to: post office boxes, military addresses such as APO or FPO, foreign or overseas, and the following leftist strongholds because of their anti-firearms laws & regulations: Alaska, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Washington DC, or any other state/locality that overly restricts firearm sales in general. If this applies to you, please do not bother trying to purchase it.

Price of the rifle & bayonet is $475.00 with the bayonet. I will not sell them separately. Shipping will be additional and will be a $45.00 flat rate. I only ship via UPS so make sure they can and do deliver to your address. No sales or shipping to: post office boxes, military addresses such as APO or FPO, foreign or overseas, and the following locations: Alaska, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Washington DC, or any other state/locality that overly restricts firearm sales in general. If this applies to you, please do not bother trying to purchase it.

If you like the rifle but are concerned you will not be easily able to find ammunition for it, I have 5 boxes of 20 rounds each (100 rounds for the arithmatically challenged) plus a partial box with 4 or 5 rounds. The ammo is $30 per box (the partial is free with purchase of the rest of the ammo). I will not sell the ammo separately unless the purchaser of the rifle does not want it. If shipped, the ammo must be shipped separately, shipping fee $15.00 flat rate.

The only form of payment I will accept is a U.S. Postal Service money order if shipped, or cash if a FTF sale.

This offer will remain in place here until it is sold or a bid has been made on GunBroker where it also will be offered in the near future. If you decide you want it, it will be subject to whether or not an offer has already been made on GunBroker. If an offer has been made there, then must sell it through that site.

This gun is not considered an antique by ATF standards and thus if shipped it must, by my terms, go through an FFL or be sent to the holder of a C&R. In any case, if shipped, the buyer must supply me with a copy of government issued ID such as a driver's license showing the buyers full name, date of birth and current shipping/mailing address and the buyer must also supply me with a completely legible currently valid copy of his dealer's FFL unless the buyer is the holder of a currently valid C&R in which case I must receive a completely legible copy of that. If FTF sale, I will need a copy of your government issued ID for entry of your info into my C&R book. The buyer must be 18 years old or older - or of an age as required in your locality/state. Buyer must also be either a U.S. Citizen or a legal resident alien who is not restricted in any way, shape or form from purchasing and or possessing firearms. If a legal resident alien you must provide me with a copy of your alien registration card as well as something like a driver's license issued in the United States. The buyer's purchase of this firearm is the buyer's affirmation that he/she will abide by all terms and conditions as set forth herein and that you are making a legal purchase.

If interested, please send me a PM.

20210214_130818.jpg
20210214_130849.jpg
20210214_131202.jpg
20210214_125431.jpg
20210214_130038.jpg
20210214_125522.jpg

20210214_125506.jpg

20210214_125729.jpg

20210214_125552.jpg

Last edited:

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
Did you turn down the bolt or was it that way when you got it?
I did not turn it down, it was like that when I got it. I do not screw around with guns except maybe to change pistol grips, refinish wood, add glass optics or make small repairs. This gun has not been altered in any way by me.

No clue if the bolt is original but some of these same guns sent to South Africa had turned down bolts for the cavalry or so I read on the all knowing Intraweb of happiness and all knowledge. Even Oz was not as well informed as is the net. Anyway, as I pointed out earlier, there is no serial number on the bolt that I see; or maybe I should say at least not a complete one. I have read somewhere that experts claim the 88 should be the last two numbers of the serial number but also have read other experts saying that two digit number is a parts or parts group number. My guess would be it is the last two numbers of a serial number but that is my guess based upon other manufacturers and how they did it. I have no clue as to how Lowe built & stamped serial numbers on Mausers at the end of the 19th century.

There are the crossed hammers on the bolt that are common on Chilean Mausers and, as I recall, I read somewhere meant that rifles so marked were assigned to an engineers group (but that is as best I recall, I can swear to any of it). See the bolt pic above.

I guess I should mention it again, I did check this rifle with a field headspace gauge and the bolt would not close on it which as I understand is a good thing. It shoots very well.

Last edited:

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
Target shot at 30 yards, the 4 shot group is 1 9/16th", with the one flier. This was during my first shoot with this rifle. One of the reasons I am selling this one is because the sights (especially the rear notch) are so small (see the pic) I find it difficult aiming with my old eyes. No glasses seem to help with this one.

1613761444810.png

mauser sight.jpg
mauser sight 2 copy.jpg

Truth be told you need better eyes than mine for this one if you plan to shoot it.

Last edited:

Glenn B

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sep 5, 2019
Texarkana Area
So another Intranet maestro of all firearms knowledge has posted herein this thread. Look at what he wrote: Nice rifle BUT... That seemingly implies something is not right and he left that here in the thread and he wrote me a PM stating this rifle is a Mauser 1893 not a Mauser Chileno 1895 as I stated it is in fact. The reason I am posting this is because it upsets me that he posted that post which anyone easily could think implies something is not right with my rifle or with what I posted about it! So here I will post his reasons for essentially saying, in sum and substance, it is an 1893 and my reply about why I am certain it is in fact an 1895. I do not want anyone having any doubts because he hung his BUT out there for all to see:

I didn't want you to think I was calling you out, so I edited my OP and will give it to you privately.
" Nice rifle, but FYI the M1895 long guns had straight bolt handles. Those that had turn down bolts were actually modified M1893s that were for the Boers, but got turned around by the British blockade. They were DWM rifles which got the crest applied and sent to Chile. Their bolt face will have a flat bottom, also. The crossed hammers are a standard Chilean inspection/acceptance mark. The bolt parts will also have the last 2 digits of the serial number. The interwebs have a lot of bogus info, as you may have noticed. "
Nice rifle, but see my PM.
Amazing - he is giving it to me.Well I gave it right back with this:

The rifle is without a doubt a Mauser Chileno 1895. You seem to be assuming that the bolt is in original condition as when produced; however you never heard me say that. The bolt handle indeed may well have been a straight bolt handle at one time. I made that quite clear, I thought, in post 12 when I replied to post 11 in which I was asked if I had turned down the bolt handle. I did not turn it down, I do not screw with parts on my guns. It well could have been turned down after original production by any of the previous owners including the Chilean Army for all I know. Then again, it may have been original production, poorly documented, for a special order for the Chilean Army's Cavalry just as the South African Boer's cavalry and the Orange Free State had requested. I do not know and have been unable to document turned down bolts on Chilean Model 1895 rifles that were original. Still that does not mean it was not original but my guess is it was turned down after production. It is definitely though not an 1893.

The bolt is exact in every way that I could see to that of another Mauser Chileno Modelo 1895 that I previously owned except that other one had the straight bolt. I examined them side by side during different stages of taking them down for cleaning and all looked to be the same to me except the bolt handle being turned down on this one. The remainder of those two rifles also were exactly the same.

Anyway, as can be seen in the photos in my original thread and some new ones here, 1895 is included in the model information stamped onto the receiver of this rifle as is the fact that it is a Mauser Chileno. That is opposed to South African contract rifles that had a generic set of stampings on the receiver with no country name included. By the way, as far you saying that 1893 rifles were produced by DWM, for the Boers, then turned around, restamped and sent to Chile - as I am aware: Loewe as DWM was not in business until 1896. By then the 1895 models were already well into poduction and you will note mine does not indicate DWM. Also note, the serial number on mine indicates, by way of the B prefix, the second production run as I understand.

Mine:
View attachment 245707

DWM Production:
View attachment 245706

Those stampings show a stark difference between a Loewe manufactured rifle as opposed to a later DWM manufactured rifle.

Another thing that you told me is that the bolt face on an 1893 has a square bottom and on the 1895 the bolt face is round. The bolt face on my rifle is as round as round can be on a bolt. It is markedly different than the bolt of an 1895.

Mine:
View attachment 245705

1893 Bolt face:
View attachment 245708
Source for this photo is the below link.

There is a seemingly good write up on the differences of the 1893 and 1895 Mausers here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?69157-1893-v-1895-Mauser. I do not know how accurate it is being it is on the Intraweb but the author seems to be knowledgeable as opposed to being a 12 year old with too much time allowed by his/her parents on the net instead of playing in the dirt outside with friends, going fishing, riding a bicycle or whatever. If the author is 12 and faking it, he is pretty convincingly good at it.

I, as well as some collectors who have handled and inspected this rifle, are certain it is an 1895. By the way, had you posted that info in a for sale thread, I am fairly certain that the mods would have deleted it and possibly given you a warning. They frown on such in for sale threads, even the stuff already there saying how nice it looks is sometimes frowned upon. Thanks for letting me know your thoughts on it though, always appreciate such.

All the best,
GB
Now you may have noticed, he/she assumed the bolt was original as from the factory the day it was manufactured and thus had to be from an 1893 because the handle is turned down. It seems he did not for one minute consider that it was turned down after manufacture as is done on many older rifles. In fact, posts 11 & 12 of this thread already addressed that.

One other thing, I never would have posted this reply here if indeed he had PM'd me and left it at that. I truly do appreciate such info if someone honestly thinks something is not right with one of my sale threads/posts but I do not apprciate poison pen type of posts within my for sale threads. He hung his BUT out for all to see with the words "Nice rifle but..." and said that way, those words would probably lead some folks to believe there was something not right about it or about my for sale post for it. Once I saw that post, which was after I wrote my PM reply to him, I admit I no longer appreciated his butting in. So, I decided to assure putting an end to anyone possibly thinking there were any buts about it. This rifle is - without a doubt - an Mauser Chileno 1895 and not an 1893.

Last edited:

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads