• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Two keys kept as spares off the key chain and in a wallet kept floating out of the wallet. Looking for a solution I came across this on amazon:
    31Kbd5NgR8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Unfortunately the only review states that the plastic broke after a month of useage.

So, I thought I've got some plastic that's hard to break and I can DIY this.

So, Attempt #1

img20110929104530.jpg

img20110929110737.jpg

Keys held in well, looks good but I think it could be made better.

Attempt #2

img20110929111214.jpg

img20110929111909.jpg

img20110929122551.jpg

img20110929120320.jpg

These hold much tighter than I expected. I was pleasantly surprised. To test I threw them across the room and didn't loose a key.

Much better as it's more secure.

Some notes. Measure twice, cut once.

Cut from the outside of the cut to the center or you'll go over the lines easy.

Watch out for those fingers. Slippery plastic and razor sharp blades skip over each other.

Score your line first very very lightly and then bend the card. It'll crack down into the card more than cutting it for 15 min will accomplish.

Cut from the back of the card. It's flat.

When you've bent the card look for a line in front. It helps a bunch if you cut the thin film in front. Don't try cutting the front film from the back as it'll take a lot of time.

Practice on a card you don't care about first. I'd have rather had the AMEX teaser card as the one I carry and not the QT gift card.

Post your end results here, pictures or experiences making.
    DK Firearms

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I used to keep spare keys in one of the photo holders, but now they are on a keyring in my pocket. I just have too many for the wallet.

It is a good idea though, and the best use for a credit card I have seen in a while.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    That's a great idea man. You are correct about the commercial version not lasting; I had a similar one that didn't last a few weeks.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I learned this back in 1995 when I bought a used BMW 318i in Germany. The previous owner gave me a flat key and told me to keep it in my wallet. That tactic has saved me numerous times over the years.

The wallet I am currently using has two leather tabs to hold keys, I have one for the two vehicles I drive (my Toyota and the Jeep). Both have manual locks so it's easy to accidentally leave the keys in them (although with the softtop on the Jeep, it's not really an issue getting in). Still, many times I have gone out to the garage or outside to get something out of them only to realize I've left my keys inside. This saves me from having to go back and get them.

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom