• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hah!

Never know when a rattler will jump out at my place. Mowing the back is almost as good as a safari.

Wolfwood,

In the area of NETX where our family farm is it is NOT "rattletails" that are the MAIN problem of poisonous snakes. - Instead it is COTTONMOUTHS.
    (I killed on under the picnic table in our front yard that was about 5 feet long & nearly as fat in the middle as the calf of my leg.)

Because he is a CARRION EATER, the Water Moccasin MAY be the most deadly snake in the Western hemisphere. = IF bitten, you WILL get a RAGING & DIFFICULT TO TREAT INFECTION, even if you are NOT envenomed.

yours, satx
    Capitol Armory ad

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The story i read was they didn't have the German tanks at the beginning of the program and used old t-whateve

The story I read said they had used Russian training tanks and ended up losing some of their own tanks when they tried it for real, cause the dogs would only go under the Russian tanks.

Also neat video in OP.

Wolfwood,

Mr. Wills said that the dogs could NOT distinguish between German & Russian tanks & that after ONE "bad experience" that the Red Army saw to it that NO friendly tanks were anywhere near where they were planning to send in the "anti-tank mine-laden dogs" on the Eastern Front.

Mr. Wills said that "- - - - a LOT of DAMNED Kraut b@st@rds got theirs", from a dog running to eat under a tank & "going BOOM".

yours, satx

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    Wolfwood,

In the area of NETX where our family farm is it is NOT "rattletails" that are the MAIN problem of poisonous snakes. - Instead it is COTTONMOUTHS.
    (I killed on under the picnic table in our front yard that was about 5 feet long & nearly as fat in the middle as the calf of my leg.)

Because he is a CARRION EATER, the Water Moccasin MAY be the most deadly snake in the Western hemisphere. = IF bitten, you WILL get a RAGING & DIFFICULT TO TREAT INFECTION, even if you are NOT envenomed.

yours, satx
    And the cousin says they are attracted to trotline bait. LOL! He should buy a boat.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    now i know "the rest of the story"

thanks @satx78247 informative as always.

Wolfwood,

FWIW, I truly WISH that I had been SMART ENOUGH to tape record my Dad's WWII comrades, as some of those 1st person stories SHOULD HAVE BEEN PRESERVED, for the next generations.
    (Mr. Wills, for example, was one of a VERY FEW American GIs who actually SAW & PARTICIPATED in some actions on The Eastern Front.)
    Fwiw, Mr. Wills was "marooned" in the USSR for about 8 months after he had a Liberty Ship "shot out from under him & his shipmates".
    He once told me that, "I had a chance to got out to the front with some Red Army friends & "- - - do some dirt to the Waffen SS b@st@rds". = He told me that there was nothing so purely evil & disgusting that the SS would NOT do to the ordinary/innocent civilians in the USSR & after he witnessed the results of some WAR CRIMES by the SS that "I got to do some stuff to get even with" the SS DEVILS..

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    And the cousin says they are attracted to trotline bait. LOL! He should buy a boat.

Coop45,

FYI, I have had several cottonmouths IN my 14 foot "tin" trotline boat over the years, when cat-fishing on OLIVER LAKE.
    (Fyi, .38SPL shells loaded with UNIQUE & #8 shot, out of my old circa 1955 Colt's Police Positive, "does the job" & quick.)

My late cousin "Little Will", who died at age 22 in a TA in 2016, said VERY QUIETLY to me one evening about about dark, "Would you will kill a snake for me??" - I said, "WHERE" & he answered, "by my left boot" & then whispered, "PLEASE don't hit me.".
    (BYE-BYE, Mr. Cottonmouth.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom