• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, you don’t have to know before trying as long as you have a spare to use if you **** it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Correct! As the rod is fairly malleable, I'm sure it's a carbon steel of sorts - unlike cast iron or similar. It's inexpensive enough to try the tempering "experiment". Thanks for that.

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Numrich must be using a different schematic. Part #47 on theirs, is a takedown screw, rear. But the picture of the part you posted is the recoil spring guide, which is the part I was referring to.

According the part numbers, the part number is the same from the "Old" style Model 60 to the "New" style Model 60. If you decide you want to try an OEM part to replace yours.
    Yes, it does get a bit convaluted..... All Glenfield 60's are the old style, Marlin 60's prior to 1981 or 1982 are considered the old style. After 1982 are considered "new style". The "old style" have a flat end with larger shoulder as a spring stop so to speak. The "new style" are pointed.

Added: Right or wrong, my thought is because they are so malleable, that is what's causing the bending issue - whether by operational use, or self damaged by spring replacement. I'd just like to avoid the whole rod bending issue completely by finding/fabricating a stronger rod.

Last edited:

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Here's a pic of the "trouble maker". 2001 Marlin 60. I disliked the cheapy stained birchwood stock so I stripped it, contoured the fore end and air brushed it in tiger stripe camo. Added a Mcarbo action spring kit and polished all internals. It runs like a clock except for the darn guide rod thing (of which I have replaced twice now. Hence the post). It is a great .22 rifle and one of my favorites. Accurate as all get out. Thanks everyone for your input!
    Marlin 60.JPG

Last edited:

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Hi folks - seems that with every Marlin / Glenfield model 60 semi-auto .22 I've owned, the recoil spring guide rod is the absolute worst. Probably made of soft steel, they deform rather quickly and cause cycling issues because the bolt block can't slide correctly. I'm sure the rockwell hardness of the OEM guide rod is the same as a hot dog......;-) (I hope I'm not the only person that has experienced this. Beating them back into form and submission is just not working for me).

The question: Has anyone found an aftermarket guide rod made from stainless steel or tool steel? If not, I'm off to the machine shop to have one made. Thanks.

Check Home Depot, Lowe's or your local hardware store. Where I'm at, we have an ACE Hardware and they have steel rod in that diameter. Bought a 3ft piece some time back to replace the guide rod in my Model 60. Didn't really need to, but had it apart to do a deep clean.

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Check Home Depot, Lowe's or your local hardware store. Where I'm at, we have an ACE Hardware and they have steel rod in that diameter. Bought a 3ft piece some time back to replace the guide rod in my Model 60. Didn't really need to, but had it apart to do a deep clean.

Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest. I have 2 great possible solutions now. I didn't think about tempering the OEM rod or going to Home Depot and buying a steel rod (I just didn't figure they would have the diameter). Both are simple and great suggestions. This is exactly why I posted the question. Thank you!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well going by that thought process, the OP making a thread about this problem seems rather pointless, don't you think?

Not really. He doesn’t want to keep having issues. He asked for advice. Heat treating was suggested. He can get a replacement cheap and attempt to heat treat the old one. If it doesn’t work he’s out 10 bucks. If it does, he’s found his solution.

Not sure how that makes the thread pointless? He’s got an idea to try and may learn a new skill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Maybe buy a spare and try tempering it yourself?
    Pretty simple I'd think.
    Heat the rod with a MAP gas torch to just barely red.
    Quench in an oil bath.
    Then re-polish the rod using some very fine emory paper.

Tempering worked FANTASTIC!!! The guide rod firmed right up. Polished it brite, lightly oiled and installed. Bolt block slides very nicely - as it should. Thanks for the suggestion Moonpie! We'll see what happens in the long term.

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    The spring gets kinked and the rod bent when installing. I'm sure marlin use a special spring compressor tool. Else it's a 5 handed monkey trick to get the bolt back in. Fixed SIL's OLD one and mine after I bent the first one. Older ones, probably from the 60's had a tight chamber - cheap bulk stuff doesn't chamber well. Stingers will also beat the buffer up real fast. Also look for a notch at the hold back point in the Al. receiver. Break the front edge of the bolt and the edges of the bolt stop thingy. I had trouble with the scope rings moving in the rail so I JB'd small roll pins in the grooves.

Lildoodad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2021
    Spring Branch, TX
    Ya, I found out how to bend them when I was very much younger. A call to Marlin's tech support got me to an old timer that instructed me on proper guide rod and recoil spring installation. For those that may be wondering...you install the spring, guide rod and bolt block vertically with the rod end at it's receptical. Carefully push straight down making sure everything align's and then tilt / lower into place. (This technique prevents bending the rod upon installation). Once installed, slide the bolt block back a bit, tilt up and install the charging handle.

My only issue here is the soft steel guide rod deforming over time, not upon installation. Buffer is replaced every 1000 rounds or so. As previously stated, I tempered a new rod this morning (thanks again Moonpie) and it stiffened right up. Hopefully this will take care of all my worries and this particular issue.

You would think Marlin would have provided a harder rod. However, with all guns made in recent history, apparently cheaper is better. I call it planned obsolescence. But that's a whole nuther subject of discussion.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Uh, because the OP just completed the "fix" this morning...and has yet to get to the fun spot to run it through the paces. LOL. Ya, I'm "slackin'"....Love the coffe cup BTW, my son's favorite expression!
    No excuses! Its a beautiful day out there. Get busy Mister.
    LOL

Top Bottom