• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    brass and bullets are there if you hunt a bit. it's always been a seasonal thing with this caliber. check out the "Marlin Owners Forum" for more...
    ARJ Defense ad

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Old Marlins sometimes have a damaged muzzle due to ramrod damage because of not cleaning from the breech, and regularly get shortened to "Marauder" length. I have 2 actually. 18" bbls so they'd shoot straight again. a 30-30 and 35. Both now look more like guide guns. Handle nice too. LOUDER... you can even get creative and do a straight wrist mod with a little work if you don't like the pistol grip. again Marlin Owners Forum is awesome. it'll be fun.. :)

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Deaf Smith, that's a nice 336 you picked up in 35 REM.

I bought most of my current 700 rounds or so of 35 REM when it was between about $20 & $28 a box. I am happy about that because I have ammo for my Remington 141 and my Marlin 336 to last a fairly good amount of time.

thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    Ah... brass coming in.. and I found a box of 200 grain Remington .35 shells! I'm pining now for that Lyman sight to come in and the dies.... but I might shoot 5 rounds tomorrow just to see what it does!
    Welcome to the 35 club! Now your journey for collecting brass and bullets will never end.
    :cowboy:

Deaf Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2022
    Texas
    .35 Remington brass came in... now I have 78 cases plus 21 loaded rounds...

Still waiting for the dies.. rats!

And the Lyman 66a sight came in and it's on the Texan 30/30 now...

Gotta go to the range this weekend!!!

Deaf Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2022
    Texas
    A day at the range!!! Yea....

I had a bunch of 30/30 reloads made by a guy I did a trade with (I still have maybe a 100 of 'em!) 180 grain Remington round nose soft points and who knows what powder and what charge.

1670115271653.jpeg

I first aimed at the dirt bank and see just where the sight was.. it shot high. I adjusted..

Now the first shot was the bottom right. Adjusted and the next is the bottom left!!

Adjusted again then the top right!

One more adjustment and 'fire for effect'... 9 rounds at 75 yards. Target was used at that distance cause the 25 & 50 yard places had people using it.. Yes that is 75 yards with Lyman aperture sight. I will make my own handloads and later adjust it to hit a bit higher and slightly to the right.

Now the .35 Remington:

1670115456769.jpeg

The ones at the bottom are the first shots. Yep shot low. I adjusted the rear 'V' sight up one notch and it shot the last round. I stopped there cause these were factory Remington loads that didn't kick as much as my 30/30 loads!! Yea underloaded. Those 200 grainers should have kicked more!

I will make some 180 grain Speer reloads using LeveRevolution powder when my dies come in AND I get another Lyman receiver sight.

Both rifles functioned perfectly. Slick levering.

Deaf Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2022
    Texas
    A cleaning and a cleaning...

First Marlin 30/30. I used Breakfree bore cleaner first... fill the bore and wait 15 min. I then used a patch, then brass brush, patch, brass brush... till nuthen there!

Then Hopes 9 to clean the bore thouruly.

Then Sweets 7.62 to get the copper out... done deed! Cleaned up with breakfree!

1670173797890.jpeg

In afternoon repeat it on my .35 Remington!

1670173850238.png

.35 is ready to clean!

After that I have to wait for my .35 dies but... I can shoot that 30/30 and I have lots of brass, primers, slugs, etc.... ready to go!

Deaf Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2022
    Texas
    That was exhausting!! Done.

Now why the Sweets 7.62?

See these Marlins have microgrove rifling. I feel they cannot take a lot of copper fowling without losing accuracy.

And most hunters don't clean their guns well...

I have rehabilitated several real good hunting rifles, and bull barrel long range rifles, by doing a real thorough job of cleaning!

30/30 is to bat and soon back to the range. We will see if there is an improvement in accuracy.

Top Bottom