• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    Last summer I read or heard on local news or talk show that the number of ICU beds is flexible but what they really run out of is nursing staff.

Virtually any room that has the hookups for O2, ventilators etc can be made/designated an ICU room.
    Capitol Armory ad

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    The $64K question is what was normal for this day in 2019. That data isn’t available. Could be that normal is 2 Adult and 0 Ped ICU (maybe due to lack of ped ICU nurses…I don’t know). Few elective procedures require ICU, by the way.

Until valid comparative data is produced the only thing I’ve see about ICU capacity is that 80% to 90% in use is ‘normal’.

Despite have been an ICU patient before and having a NICU child that had to be transported 4 hours away (1995) because that part of the state didn’t have any NICU capability at all, I don’t really know much about them except that IC departments seem to be really dependent on particular skillsets and really, really sensitive nurse staffing levels. Like 1:1 IC trained/qualified/certified RN nurse to patient ratio is the standard, unlike other wards that may have 1:8 nurse/pt ratio with CNAs/LCNs doing most of the patient work.
    I can't speak to the large facilities that are taking covid patients. We are smaller and specialized. I do not know if our icu beds are part of the numbers in the stats/ numbers y'all are discussing. I can say that on any given day of any given year our unit is near or at capacity. Covid ain't got shit to do with it. We're the best at what we do and we are busy as a result of that

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I can't speak to the large facilities that are taking covid patients. We are smaller and specialized. I do not know if our icu beds are part of the numbers in the stats/ numbers y'all are discussing. I can say that on any given day of any given year our unit is near or at capacity. Covid ain't got shit to do with it. We're the best at what we do and we are busy as a result of that
    Curious, you don’t take Covid patients? If you do and fill up where do the non-Covid go?

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Perhaps you are right and maybe 80% of ICU beds are always filled but the chart you referred me to shows most of those beds are Covid and if ICU is normally 80% precovid than what normally goes into ICU isn’t getting in. Which I suspect is post surgery needing ICU. Whether you agree or not the data you have provided implies a ICU bed shortage because of Covid. If we believe the numbers.
    So I get in a serious car wreck and am transferred to the local ICU due to trauma suffered from the wreck. I test positive for COVID. Does my ICU bed count as COVID even though the reason for admission is due to other non related events?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So I get in a serious car wreck and am transferred to the local ICU due to trauma suffered from the wreck. I test positive for COVID. Does my ICU bed count as COVID even though the reason for admission is due to other non related events?
    That's a good question.
    I would expect them to treat you differently, due to covid, so you would probably be in an area designated for covid.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yep. Just like a relative of mine that tested positive one day and negative the next ( zero symptoms) and later tested negative for antibodies still gets listed as a positive case.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Or a coworker that tested positive ( actually did have it) about 6 weeks ago, has been completely over it for 5 weeks ( zero symptoms) had to have a kidney stone zapped and got tested for Covid before the procedure. He tested positive even though he was told by regular doc you can test positive for a couple of months after getting over it, he will be counted as a “getting it twice” case.

Any numbers that the powers that be are giving you are bullshit. Period.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Or a coworker that tested positive ( actually did have it) about 6 weeks ago, has been completely over it for 5 weeks ( zero symptoms) had to have a kidney stone zapped and got tested for Covid before the procedure. He tested positive even though he was told by regular doc you can test positive for a couple of months after getting over it, he will be counted as a “getting it twice” case.

Exactly my thoughts and exactly why I don’t trust a word the media, docs or govt say about it.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Curious, you don’t take Covid patients? If you do and fill up where do the non-Covid go?
    We do not take covid patients where I work. Didn't make that clear in my previous post. We are part of a larger multi hospital system. There are 3 other facilities that are designated for covid patients. We received a EMS scene call STEMI the other day. They covid tested them in our ED. While we were fixing them up we found out they were covid +. When we were finished we shipped them back to the ED. They were then were transferred to one of our covid facilities.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    We do not take covid patients where I work. Didn't make that clear in my previous post. We are part of a larger multi hospital system. There are 3 other facilities that are designated for covid patients. We received a EMS scene call STEMI the other day. They covid tested them in our ED. While we were fixing them up we found out they were covid +. When we were finished we shipped them back to the ED. They were then were transferred to one of our covid facilities.
    So your experience with lack of beds is not because of Covid but all of the other things that normally fill up an ICU. Obviously there are times where your unit is full too and what do you do when you can't find an accepting unit? What would you have done with the covid positive patient you just had? You can't dump them if nobody has space.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    So your experience with lack of beds is not because of Covid but all of the other things that normally fill up an ICU. Obviously there are times where your unit is full too and what do you do when you can't find an accepting unit? What would you have done with the covid positive patient you just had? You can't dump them if nobody has space.
    Our sister hospitals do have space. If they didn't we would stop elective cases. We did that for a few weeks last year

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    This reminds me of a comment my father-in-law made about a year ago. He was, in a past career, a pharmaceutical rep. He is 100% inline with the Dr's view on medicine "we got a pill for that". He had made a comment after talking to a Dr. Friend that there wasn't a hospital bed within 150 miles. Where he is in northern Wisconsin it is less than 150 miles to Minneapolis / St Paul.

I asked him about that. He got back to me a day or two later and said they were just really busy.

My wife was just in a North Houston ER. Big joint with a couple huge hospitals around town. Once they determined the visit was not covid, it began a 9 hour tour of neglect ending in her removing her own iv line and walking out. They were so busy that they had dozens of rooms empty on the floor with the ER. It was like 3 counter folk and a small handfull of nurses that were so short staffed it barely functioned.

To be a working stiff paying hundreds and hundreds a month on health insurance and still getting stuck with huge bills for routine shit I am ready for this health system to collaps under it's own weight of fraud and greed.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin

We found out last year that some people continually test+ for weeks after the initial infection. Iirc our current policy is 10 days from symptoms onset you are clear.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The vaccines do work mostly at least in keeping most out of the hospital but when the hospitals are filling up with Covid victims there is no room for people that need ICU’s for other serious health problems. In my area 90+% of Covid admissions are unvaccinated, at least that’s what we’re told.

Yes, that's what you're being told.

Here's my insider information and just to add I'm not medical but have conservative friends that are and don't buy the bullshit numbers.

Hospitals are admitting healthy unvaccinated Covid patients and releasing less healthy vaccinated Covid patients to fudge the numbers. They want it to seem like the unvaccinated are way more susceptible to Covid and are sicker from it.

While not true they need the numbers to match what they're selling you.

Believe what you want. I'm just reporting what I have been told.

I miss the days when the healthcare system cared about your health and money wasn't their biggest concern.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Yes, that's what you're being told.

Here's my insider information and just to add I'm not medical but have conservative friends that are and don't buy the bullshit numbers.

Hospitals are admitting healthy unvaccinated Covid patients and releasing less healthy vaccinated Covid patients to fudge the numbers. They want it to seem like the unvaccinated are way more susceptible to Covid and are sicker from it.

While not true they need the numbers to match what they're selling you.

Believe what you want. I'm just reporting what I have been told.

I miss the days when the healthcare system cared about your health and money wasn't their biggest concern.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Amen.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Maybe I should read the article, but why would someone who is asymptomatic seek hospitalization?
    Because people are scaring themselves retarded listening to the news. Friend of mine is a nurse and she was telling me the other day how people will come in saying they have covid wanting to be admitted, but their symptoms are mild. She tells them to take cough syrup, tylenol, and get some rest at home :laughing:

Top Bottom