Lynx Defense

Man sentenced to 2 years for building cannon.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    What I gather is, that the violation was not on bore alone, but bore of a cartridge gun, being over 1/2"... this cannon apparently using a cartridge or case, maybe just to hold a primer, to fire the charge.

In a common sense world, LE at whatever level, would have recognized this guy misunderstood the law, confiscated the cannon, or given him a chance to correct the violation, and that would have been the end of it.

It seems obvious that this and other recent power plays, including such as the imprisonment of the Kansas silencer guys, are intended to terrify, and the timing of this news release 18 months after the arrest is just another warning.

I have to think, rather than the goal of encouraging trust and support for government, the intent is to incite the people to insurrection by a thousand cuts, with martial law and suspension of the writ of habeus corpus the goal, ostensibly still operating under the Constitution, while subverting it.

Henryseale

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2017
    Texas City, Texas
    I am a Civil War reenactor. I know several people who privately own full scale reproduction, fully functional cannons. No special paperwork or permits required whatsoever to own or shoot them. No age limits, either. However, I THINK there is a restriction on explosive artillery shells, but none that I know of use any such things. Also, period correct friction primers are commonly used instead of fuses. I have seen a reproduction priming mechanism based on an original found on a Federal sunken gunboat that used a .22 cal blank for a cap. None of these items are regulated by the BATF. BTW - I do not own or possess any of these items.

jcriswell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I am of the age that remembers things but not specific dates...
    But more than 70 years ago when I was a kid, we all had Carbide Canons.. Dump a little Calcium carbide into the barrel, squirt of water and wait for a few moments until the mixture creates acetylene gas.. little spark and the toy guns we had would shoot a bb several feet.. Our mothers made us get rid of them because we all also had miner's lantern head lamps on elastic straps.. Somebody's mother freaked out that we were going to shoot somebody's eye out.

Last I checked, there's an outfit selling the things on Amazon as a "substitute for fireworks".

Wulf202

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2021
    Canton tx
    There's no wa laws against black powder cannons. This is being charged as an unregistered DD because of bore size and it uses a blank instead of a cap or fuse...

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I am of the age that remembers things but not specific dates...
    But more than 70 years ago when I was a kid, we all had Carbide Canons.. Dump a little Calcium carbide into the barrel, squirt of water and wait for a few moments until the mixture creates acetylene gas.. little spark and the toy guns we had would shoot a bb several feet.. Our mothers made us get rid of them because we all also had miner's lantern head lamps on elastic straps.. Somebody's mother freaked out that we were going to shoot somebody's eye out.

Last I checked, there's an outfit selling the things on Amazon as a "substitute for fireworks".
    Yep. I am hoping to add a carbide cannon to our little place to celebrate New Year's and the Fourth. I think our dogs will hate it. I even have a book that shows how to build one out of PVC parts. Yeah!

Top Bottom