• ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Moonpie,

MOST ANY "deer rifle" .30 caliber or larger is fully suitable for the BIG CATS.
    (FYI, MORE lions, leopards & tigers have been taken with the old-school .303 British FMJ service ammo than with all other calibers COMBINED.)

IF I can get a CITES permit to take/import a LEOPARD trophy (as well as a Cape Buff & assorted "plains game"), when we make the Africa trip next year, I will use my Model 760 with GCCB, that Jessie at JES reformatted for me in 9.3x62mm.

ADDENDA: In the event that I decide to take TWO rifles to Africa, the other rifle will be one of my Model 760 in .30-06.

yours, satx

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Moonpie,

(FYI, MORE lions, leopards & tigers have been taken with the old-school .303 British FMJ service ammo than with all other calibers COMBINED.)

IF I can get a CITES permit to take/import a LEOPARD trophy, when we make the Africa trip next year, I will use my Model 760 with GCCB, that Jessie at JES reformatted for me in 9.3x62mm.

yours, satx
    Make sure you have a export permit on the african side! The one my BUDDY shot ended up not have an export permit. Without it his import cites was worthless!
    Lots of leopard are shot & killed under the problem animal permit. Even more a shoot, shovel, shut up! We were told in a couple of place if we saw cheetahs sling lead at them.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Moonpie,

IF I can get a CITES permit to take/import a LEOPARD trophy (as well as a Cape Buff & assorted "plains game"), when we make the Africa trip next year, I will use my Model 760 with GCCB, that Jessie at JES reformatted for me in 9.3x62mm.

yours, satx
    Make sure you have a export permit on the african side! The one my BUDDY shot ended up not have an export permit. Without it his import cites was worthless!
    Lots of leopard are shot & killed under the problem animal permit. Even more a shoot, shovel, shut up! We were told in a couple of place if we saw cheetahs sling lead at them.

baboon,

EVEN though the outfit that I'm planning the hunt with says that they take care of EXPORT permits for all trophies, I'll carefully check on that. = THANKS.
    (CITES import permits are the HUNTER's responsibility.)

PERSONAL COMMENT: I keep thinking that ALL of the African nations & CITES will "smarten up" & figure out that ALL of the nations NEED the "foreign hunter's money" that lawful TROPHY HUNTING brings in from abroad, considering that when compared to the whole that the total of ALL of the "lawfully collected" hunting trophies is INSIGNIFICANT.
    (ONE such nation is KENYA, which in 2021 has MORE of the "DANGEROUS 5" than were alive in the 17th Century.)

yours, satx

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I’ve seen and been within rock throwing distance to a few mountain lions on my adventures. I’ve shit my shorts or close to several times. Came upon a cat with a fresh kill deer while working in the hills and that cat didn’t like me there. I felt my socks filling up fast.
    Seeing these animals in person is neat and scary experience at the same time. I’ve yet to find me a nice Cougar

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Too All,

PLEASE JOIN my "one-man crusade" to get MOUNTAIN LIONS "listed as GAME ANIMALS" in Texas, so that people can no longer kill them year round "when & where seen". = We need an OPEN & CLOSED season, just as WT deer & other game animals have.
    (Regardless of anything that some people call them, the COUGAR is NOT "vermin".)

ADDENDA: Additionally & on a "similar subject", I believe it is NOW time to allow taking GREAT WHITE SHARKS & SEALS "on permit", as is SUCCESSFULLY done with alligators in the USA.
    (IF "on permit" seal hunting was again allowed, I would buy my lady & I a sealskin "stroller" or jacket. = I had a seal jacket for years until some "Sweet Old Boy" broke out the rear window of my PU & took it away.)

The TRUTH is that IF "on permit trophy fishing" for GW & "limited 'on permit' seal hunting" was allowed, that pile of money could be wisely spent on SHARK RESEARCH & HABITAT RESTORATION, W/O significantly changing the number of individuals in the environment.
    (I would "bet everything in my checking account" that the Northeastern states, where there is a "hunt-able number of GW" could charge 5,000.oo for a permit to take a single GW & would quickly subscribe all the available "trophy permits".)

yours, satx

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I’ve seen and been within rock throwing distance to a few mountain lions on my adventures. I’ve shit my shorts or close to several times. Came upon a cat with a fresh kill deer while working in the hills and that cat didn’t like me there. I felt my socks filling up fast.
    Seeing these animals in person is neat and scary experience at the same time. I’ve yet to find me a nice Cougar
    Very interesting. I’ve never seen one in the wild. We’re you armed when you came upon the kill?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Too All,

PLEASE JOIN my "one-man crusade" to get MOUNTAIN LIONS listed" as GAME ANIMALS in Texas, so that people can no longer kill them year round "when & where seen". = We need an OPEN & CLOSED season, just as WT deer & other game animals have.
    (Regardless of anything that some people call them, the COUGAR is NOT "vermin".)

yours, satx

I'm not a fan of sport hunting, or killing any animal for the sake of killing, but mountain lions, cougars and such, are still a danger to livestock.

So having a season for them is not a bad idea, as long as if they are a threat to a rancher's livestock they can be killed without going through a bureaucracy and burdensome hoops to protect an investment in those livestock.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Very interesting. I’ve never seen one in the wild. We’re you armed when you came upon the kill?
    That’s only time I was not. I was working and pre occupied to think about it. Caring in that state is hard to do though I always carried in my truck. That cat had torn out a baby from the mom and buried it away from the kill. But had come back to feed. I thought from a distance it was two dead deer. Well one was a large lion. I get chills writing this.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

A whole 'nother lifetime ago I did private security work. We had this thing called the "Street of Dreams" where home builders would go all out and build these nifty modern mansions, and then sell tickets to the public to come in and look at them. They had a food court (open air) and other little crap. Back in IIRC '03 the show was held in this new development outside of town, out in some rolling hills. Beautiful area. There was a small lake, which drew a big herd of deer and some elk. Those drew in big cats.

That food court I mentioned earlier? It drew the cats too, because the damn hot dog vendor would leave the prior day's unsold dogs out in the warming tins (which I couldn't complain too much of, as they let us eat 'em for free since they couldn't be sold the next day) - I was sitting in the shitty patrol car they set out there (a Toyota Corolla with a spotlight on the roof and about half a million miles on the odometer) watching the main road leading up, listening to Art Bell with the window down, when I caught movement to my left in my peripheral vision. I turned my head and saw a *big* kitty cat sauntering by, close enough I could've reached out and petted her as she walked by. Her back was almost to the bottom of the window. I didn't bother getting out of the car for the rest of that shift. Pissed me off when I alerted my supervisors and the show manager to it the next morning, and I was told "stop spreading lies, there's no cougars around here" and "don't speak of this again" - funny enough not long after that, my relief officers would show up armed (was supposed to be an unarmed post) and on edge about Princess.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I've seen one in the wild.
    Many years ago I was out on a night time varmint hunt.
    Had the tape recorder on doing the wounded rabbit thing.
    Suddenly there was a most horrifying scream nearby!
    It scared the beejabbers out of me. I ain't lying either. I thought I knew what it was tho I'd never actually heard one. A cougar scream. They aren't lying when they say it sounds like a woman being murdered.
    I turned on the red light and shined it up the hill and there bigger than life was a full grown mountain lion and he was headed right towards us. Its eyes were glowing from the light. A most impressive animal.
    I sat there holding that .22lr gun thinking I'm toast. One of the guys with me had a .22-250 sitting in the truck. I whispered GET THE RIFLE OUT OF THE TRUCK NOW! in a very firm voice. Rifle Dude was panicked. He jumped up and tore open the door, instead of reaching thru the open window, grabbed the rifle, and SLAMMED the door shut! As soon as that door went THUMP! the cat vanished.
    It was over just that quick.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    It scared the beejabbers out of me. I ain't lying either. I thought I knew what it was tho I'd never actually heard one. A cougar scream. They aren't lying when they say it sounds like a woman being murdered.
    I turned on the red light and shined it up the hill and there bigger than life was a full grown mountain lion and he was headed right towards us. Its eyes were glowing from the light. A most impressive animal.
    I sat there holding that .22lr gun thinking I'm toast. One of the guys with me had a .22-250 sitting in the truck. I whispered GET THE RIFLE OUT OF THE TRUCK NOW! in a very firm voice. Rifle Dude was panicked. He jumped up and tore open the door, instead of reaching thru the open window, grabbed the rifle, and SLAMMED the door shut! As soon as that door went THUMP! the cat vanished.

Moonpie,

100% FUNNY & I don't care who you are. =====> ROTFLMRAO.

I'm reminded of an "incident" from 1988 when I was the PM at a VA Army post. = A civilian called us from his car, on his "car phone" & wanted the MPs to come rescue him.
    Upon arrival, the 2 MP units found that the man had been "treed inside his Oldsmobile 98 4-door sedan" by a VERY LARGE feral boar hog.
    (After one of the MPs shot/killed the boar, he asked the man, "Why didn't you just start the car & drive away?" - The man responded, "I was JUST TOO SCARED of him." ===> Back at the PMO, we had a "good laugh at" the expense of the panicked fellow.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

I wish that was on video you yelling "get the rifle out of the truck now" all hoarse and disturbed. That would be priceless.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    That’s only time I was not. I was working and pre occupied to think about it. Caring in that state is hard to do though I always carried in my truck. That cat had torn out a baby from the mom and buried it away from the kill. But had come back to feed. I thought from a distance it was two dead deer. Well one was a large lion. I get chills writing this.
    Man, I bet you just about filled your drawers. Looking around for a big rock or pointy stick while slowly walking backwards downhill must have been interesting.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

Lonesome Dove,

While cougars in the USA are GENERALLY unlikely to attack an ADULT human, a female "protecting her kittens" OR any cougar "protecting their kill" MAY WELL be a SERIOUS DANGER to a person.
    (According to the USFWS, there are LESS than a DOZEN such "actually dangerous incidents" each year.)

yours, satx

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    My son had a youth mule deer hunt in Arizona at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. My buddy, his daughter, and brother in law had gone up earlier in the day. It was about 9pm when we arrived at the area where Game & Fish had a camp set up for the kids. We were going to camp away from the group and my buddy had given me directions and told me he would not be camping South of the big camp (he lied). I drove all over creation looking for him pulling my 20' toy hauler with ATV's and never found him. I ended up going South of the encampment for a ways just for the heck of it. About a 1/2 mile or so past it the road started getting ugly and I decided to turn around (another 1/2 mile and I would have found my buddy). As I as looking for a place to turn around the road on either side had Volkswagen size boulders lining either side. My son was asleep and it was getting a little warm in the truck, I rolled the window down and looked to my left and on top of one the rocks was pone of the biggest mountain lions I had ever seen crouched and ready to pounce. All I could think of is if it dove in the window how would I protect my son. I could not get the window up fast enough. I found a place to turn around, went up the road and found a campsite. Rolled the ATV's out of the back and lit the heater and we went to bed.

Top Bottom