• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I'm probably going to pick up a Draco AK, and i'd like to add the foregrip...thus turning it into an AOW.

I hear that it can be done for $5, but it's according to state. This possible in TX? I take i'd have to call a Class III dealer?
    Target Sports

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    This is possible in Texas. First thing is you will need to decide how the weapon will be owned; trust, corporation or individual. Take a look at the FAQ for this section regarding ownership and give Talon Arms a call on Monday for pointers.

Many folks buy NFA items with a trust and if you decide to go that route give Sean Cody (he's on this board) a call to get started.

Doing this by yourself is possible but make sure you move slowly while learning the ropes. The process is easy but take time to work through everything properly.

ducksps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Austin, Houston
    WOW? I was not aware that an individual had to pay a 200 tax instead of 5 to make an AOW. Appears that a manufacturer is exempt however. If making as an individual I would instead go the SBR route. Call Talon and ask to speak with Rob. He may be able to help.

Note from ATF letter below and original at this link; Adding a Vertical Fore Grip to a Handgun

=========================

To lawfully add a vertical fore grip to a handgun, a person must make an appropriate application on ATF Form 1, “Application to Make and Register a Firearm.” The applicant must submit the completed form, along with a fingerprint card bearing the applicant’s fingerprints; a photograph; and $200.00. The application will be reviewed by the NFA Branch. If the applicant is not prohibited from possessing a firearm under Federal, State, or local law, and possession of an “AOW” is not prohibited in the applicant’s State of residence, the form will be approved. Only then may the person add a vertical fore grip to the designated handgun.
    A person may also send the handgun to a person licensed to manufacture NFA weapons. The manufacturer will install the fore grip on the firearm and register the firearm on an ATF Form 2. The manufacturer can then transfer the firearm back to the individual on an ATF Form 4, which results in a $5.00 transfer tax. If the manufacturer is out of State, the NFA Branch will need a clarification letter submitted with the ATF Form 4 so that the NFA Branch Examiner will know the circumstances of the transfer. Questions can be directed to the NFA Branch or the Firearms Technology Branch.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I emailed the ATF, and they sent me this...

Good afternoon.

Attaching a vertical pistol grip to a firearm classified as a pistol/ handgun/or revolver would place that weapon into the Any Other Weapon category and require registration under the National Firearm Act.

Richard Vasquez
    Assistant Chief
    Firearms Technology Branch

Pretty ridiculous IMO, the Draco comes as an AOW from the factory....

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Pretty ridiculous IMO, the Draco comes as an AOW from the factory....
    The ATF is always ridiculous... How is it an AOW from the factory, tho?

Personally, I've been thinking of getting one to make an SBR out of with an under-folding stock. I think that'd be pretty sweet.

Top Bottom