• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    It's been a few years since I reloaded some 45 ammo. I remember having a nice fireball load with blue dot and a punchy hardball recipe with AA#5. Right now I've got over a half dozen great choices including universal, aa5, titegroup, unique, blue dot, wst, 231 and bullseye. In the past I never used magnum primers.

As it happens, all of my 45s are hammer fired solid steel guns. They can all handle full pressure rounds and I plan on making some hunting/SD as well as paper punching ammo. For now I'm staying away from lead and hoping to use magnum primers. Mostly because I have a bunch.

When I experimented years ago in the 9mm I had very little variation going from sp std to sp mag. I even used cci Sr primers and had no issues at least using titegroup which is notoriously peaky. I'm hoping for the same results in the 45 auto.

I'm confident enough to go for it even if told otherwise but I appreciate some opinions all the same. Is there a best or better powder choice among those I listed ?
    Texas SOT

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I’ve had good luck reloading 45 AARP with Bull’seye, Blue Dot, and Unique. Haven’t tried with magnum primers yet, but if primer availability doesn’t get better soon I’ll be right there with you.

AgedWarrior

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2021
    Lamb County, TX
    I use Winchester WLP primers for .45 ACP. They are rated standard or magnum loads. I also tried CCI large pistol magnums some years back; variation was insignificant. I have used Universal, Accurate #5, Blue Dot and CFE Pistol in .45 ACP…yeah and unique too. Don’t have my data handy at the moment, but I am fairly certain I tested the CCI mag primers with Universal under 230 grain RN.

I mostly work with Universal for target ammo and CFE Pistol for SD.

Last edited:

rpwilson

Single Action Army Activist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    Seems the biggest difference in magnum pistol primers is cup thickness.
    Not really a measurable ignition difference.
    This is my understanding as well. Some pistols may not have enough power to the firing pon/striker and wont reliably strike a magnum primer.

You might have to upgrade the hammer/striker springs in your guns to get reliability back to standard primers, but then with the new springs you can puncture standard primers if you go back to standard and not change the springs back

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I've experimented with magnum primers in .45 ACP and did not see any significant differences versus LPP. One caveat: I don't load my 45s up to max. I load for accuracy, not power, so my loads are probably mid-range.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I’ve only loaded LP primer cases. Mostly AA#5 or Unique. It’s been a few years. I feel like I’d be starting from scratch. Please post your findings.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have bought the Winchester LPPs rated for regular and magnum loads since I started reloading. Never had any issues with 45 AARP and pounds of Unique over the years. No problem with Magnum cartridges either with any powder.

Use whatever you normally use with the new primers.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Depending on the primer you will see between 0 and 30FPS delta from standard primers. CCI will be at the top end followed by Winchester. Remington delta will be small and Federal you will see statistically no difference based on my testing. Load them appropriately and they will be fine.

Top Bottom