• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoustonDave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2021
    Texas
    Think if you want to try this, you should first cut the longer case back to the length of the shorter case and weigh the two. If there is a significant difference in weight, that should tell you something. That said - I know Skeeter Skelton wrote about loading near-.357 loads in .38 cases, and we know .44 Magnums were developed in .44 Special cases. A .45 Colt is a pretty thin-walled case, and Elmer Keith stopped trying to hot-rod it in favor of the .44... now, a lot of that was due to the thinner cylinder walls of the .45 Colt cylinders compared to same-gun .44 Special cylinders, but this was a case designed around black powder pressures. Me, I would think you are adding a potential level of problems by attempting it - very little upside and a whole lot of potential downside.
    Gun Zone Deals

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    IMO, it is not a good idea to load .45LC to magnum (.460) pressures.
    The cases will fail and may cause damage to the cylinder.

So what I gather, you don't want to shoot a full-power .460, but would overcharge a .45 LC instead?
    Why not load up some.454 Casull and that should put you there.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    IMO, it is not a good idea to load .45LC to magnum (.460) pressures.
    The cases will fail and may cause damage to the cylinder.

So what I gather, you don't want to shoot a full-power .460, but would overcharge a .45 LC instead?
    Why not load up some.454 Casull and that should put you there.
    No. More along the lines of opposite really:

Shooting 45 Colt from a 460 S&W revolver would be akin to putting grandma behind the wheel of the Corvette.

And yes, I have a lot of 45 Colt brass so I'd like to reload them "spiced-up" as much as i can, safely of course.

Lastly, 45 S&W and 454 Cassul brass are hard to come by and those who have it are really proud of it.

Last edited:

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Sorry OP wasn't more specific. Question is mainly for 460 magnum revolver because I have plenty of 45 Colt brass - loading 300 grain and heavier bullets, with 460 powder charges, into 45 Colt brass.

But I'd also like to know the considerations for 357 and 44 magnum.
    Case head thickness might not handle the higher pressure being in the 45 colt brass. 17k is max on 45c and 460smith it's almost 62k. Even if the colt is for newer/stronger revolvers, it ain't that strong!

Top Bottom