• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    Thank you all for the replies. It’s good to hear that it’s a good field to work in and I like to create things. I like to learn new things and have done great in my career by being a “go to guy” cause I seem to absorb knowledge. I’m sure the same will apply moving forward.

I realize the equipment is expensive and I appreciate the heads up on what to look for and expect.

I have been looking at YouTube videos on “crash course machinist” and “how to” videos to get a feel for what I might possibly be doing. I plan on taking a day off work soon to visit their business and talking with their HR to get a better feel for what I might be doing. Ask questions about hours worked, expectations, etc. (seems like a really weird way to potentially apply for a job, but I think it’ll also show how committed I’ll be)

The engines are a hobby I picked up from my grandfather and keep me entertained when I have time to play. Unfortunately with the changes in the company I’ve neglected a lot of things for 2 years and have done nothing but work. I hate to leave something I’ve been so good at for so many years to start over at the bottom, but I feel change is something I need in my life. I have worked out a 90day time line and plan to break the news to my director in the next 30 days. If they demote me and put me back to what I was doing I’ll stay, but I can’t take much more of my current position.

Thank you all again and stay safe.
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I have always been very interested in machining and follow a few groups about it.

It sure seems like most of those guys are working a lot of hours but at least most are paid hourly.

Good luck on your decision. Making things with your hands is very rewarding.

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    Making things with your hands is very rewarding.

I agree and I think that is why I’m very distraught with my current role. We are catering to a report and corporate requirements that hinder what I have been doing for the past 19 years due to a company merger. I tell the techs, at least in the field they can get a since of accomplishment when they’re working on projects. Where I sit I get told I’m doing a great job, but I’ve also noticed that if you do something rather well it will now be your task even if it was never meant to be. Unfortunately I realized this after I’ve been overwhelmed and people now seek me for all kinds of stuff. I joke with my counterparts now about say things like “good job”. I reply “shhh, they’ll hear you and give you something else to do.” lol.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I agree and I think that is why I’m very distraught with my current role. We are catering to a report and corporate requirements that hinder what I have been doing for the past 19 years due to a company merger. I tell the techs, at least in the field they can get a since of accomplishment when they’re working on projects. Where I sit I get told I’m doing a great job, but I’ve also noticed that if you do something rather well it will now be your task even if it was never meant to be. Unfortunately I realized this after I’ve been overwhelmed and people now seek me for all kinds of stuff. I joke with my counterparts now about say things like “good job”. I reply “shhh, they’ll hear you and give you something else to do.” lol.

Left unchecked, work will flow to the competent man until he drowns.

Sparsky

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 27, 2013
    San Antonio
    Just a little update in case anyone wants to know. I talked with my director (two bosses up the chain) this afternoon and laid it ALL out on the table. (I kinda fell bad cause it looked like he wasn’t expecting this from me at all.) There will be a position opening up and he would rather have me step down than step out, respects me for saying something instead of just walking out, but understands I have to do what’s best. He also wants to meet with other members at my level to understand how it’s become so (in my words) “daunting”.
    I’ll keep machinist in mind if things really go south in the company, but I think I’ll be breathing a lot easier once I step down.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Left unchecked, work will flow to the competent man until he drowns.
    A friend of mine was a GS-12. He spent 10 years telling his superiors that there was too much work for him to do. He put in ridiculous hours and basically wrecked his health but things got worse and worse and worse until he literally faced a choice between leaving or dying. He was eligible for retirement so he gave notice and retired. It only took him a month to push the paperwork through and he was gone.

Management replaced him with two GS-12s and three GS-9s and they still couldn't match his work output. The replacements complained that there was too much work for them to handle...and they were right.

tl;dr - QFT, fer sure.

Top Bottom