• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I am trying to find a .22LR carbine that uses the standard M4 style handguard, stock, and handgrip. It seems like many of them on the market are now using some sort of railed fore end, and you couldn't put a standard handguard back on it very easily. The goal is to swap out the furniture with pink furniture already in hand, to make a nice first rifle for a young girl.

I found Walther makes one for Colt, but it seems like it's out of stock everywhere. They even have a "muddy girl" camo version, which would be perfect. But every store that is advertising it seems to be one of the fake storefronts that look like an official Walther company. I don't see how the fraud storefronts are allowed to stay around for so long, but thats another topic.

The Chiappa like a possibility. Any feedback on it? Are there any other brands to look at?

Thanks,
    Target Sports

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    You could get a cheap Anderson ar and run the cmmg 22 conversion.

I have a couple Anderson receivers, that is plan B. It's going to wind up costing a lot more if I add a 22LR conversion to a 223 AR, so I'm hoping there's a 22LR out there that ready to go.

Have you checked out the S&W M&P 15-22? From what I understand you can use a lot of AR gear with it.

It has a free float fore end. Adapting it to a standard front handguard would require several parts. A pink paint job would probably be cheaper.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I am trying to find a .22LR carbine that uses the standard M4 style handguard, stock, and handgrip. It seems like many of them on the market are now using some sort of railed fore end, and you couldn't put a standard handguard back on it very easily. The goal is to swap out the furniture with pink furniture already in hand, to make a nice first rifle for a young girl.

I found Walther makes one for Colt, but it seems like it's out of stock everywhere. They even have a "muddy girl" camo version, which would be perfect. But every store that is advertising it seems to be one of the fake storefronts that look like an official Walther company. I don't see how the fraud storefronts are allowed to stay around for so long, but thats another topic.

The Chiappa like a possibility. Any feedback on it? Are there any other brands to look at?

Thanks,

Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22. I own one and it's literally my favorite gun, I even like it more than my Caniks.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    The Chiappa's are no as reliable as they area polymer upper. I helped two of my friends tune theirs up by putting the Chiappa barrel on Anderson stripped upper and adding the CMMG charging handle and shortened ejection port cover. I have a CMMG that is a much better unit all the way around. The Chiappa also had a flash hider that is set screwed on.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park

IIRC the stock/grip/rail are all interchangeable with any AR15 parts
    The tippmann seems to be highly regarded for quality. The downside on that is that to put on a standard style handguard, I'd need to swap out a new gas block with the handguard retainer, the spring and retainer at the barrel nut. That's assuming the barrel nut is standard AR compatible.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    The Chiappa's are no as reliable as they area polymer upper. I helped two of my friends tune theirs up by putting the Chiappa barrel on Anderson stripped upper and adding the CMMG charging handle and shortened ejection port cover. I have a CMMG that is a much better unit all the way around. The Chiappa also had a flash hider that is set screwed on.
    Sounds like a good reason to avoid Chiappa, thanks. I looked for the CMMG parts, haven't had any luck finding them in stock anywhere.They seem as hard to find as the Colt/Walther

10-96inTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2022
    Cooterville
    The S&W 15-22 is a great rifle to get the kids started on the AR platform. We (me and the grandkids) run through several hundred rounds in a weekend with me doing the mag reloads and this rifle has been ultra reliable and pretty accurate with a mid priced red dot on it. You can't go wrong with it.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I'd avoid the Colt/Walther like the plague. They don't share any interchangeable parts with a AR and are essentially a toy in a plastic chassis. Even the barrel is a small steel tube with a plastic liner around it. My friend has had one for several years and it has been a hunk of junk.

Zapp

Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2021
    Cedar Park
    I'd avoid the Colt/Walther like the plague. They don't share any interchangeable parts with a AR and are essentially a toy in a plastic chassis. Even the barrel is a small steel tube with a plastic liner around it. My friend has had one for several years and it has been a hunk of junk.
    Thanks for that info. I was under the impression they were built better than that. They are selling for good $ on gunbroker, in case he wants to get rid of it.

If the complete Colts are junk, and the reliable ones like Tippmann all seem to have railed fore ends, maybe I can find a M4 style 22LR upper. and slap it on a cheap lower and call it a day.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Thanks for that info. I was under the impression they were built better than that. They are selling for good $ on gunbroker, in case he wants to get rid of it.

If the complete Colts are junk, and the reliable ones like Tippmann all seem to have railed fore ends, maybe I can find a M4 style 22LR upper. and slap it on a cheap lower and call it a day.
    Something to think about CMMG is REALLY proud of their stuff and honestly I believe over priced for at this point. What I paid for my complete upper vs what they want for them today is ridiculous. The most cost effective way to do what you are looking at well still getting a quality firearm that is going to last is the MP-22. Tippman is new (they used to make firearms), the colt/Walter stuff is trash. Uremax ATI or how ever you spell that company is also way over priced for what you get. They are a pain to maintain and use weird parts.

Last edited:

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Isn’t that the polymer upper?
    Uuph... Oh, well...

I was looking for the Tactical Solutions upper, but they must be out of production... not sure if it was polymer either.

Midwest says discontinued...

AR-22 uppers are easy, A2 style AR-22 uppers... not so much...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom