• ...and so much more!
  • Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Lots of research to do and plenty of time to do it. Got ahold of the CMP today and I'm on the waiting list for their Custom Shop. According to Miss Tiffany, it will be 6 months before I can expect my number to be called.

I have one lead on an alternate M1 gunsmith. Any other leads on quality M1 gunsmiths are greatly appreciated.

Before I put another round through this rifle it will need to be completely torn down and inspected front to back and top to bottom ... every component will need to be in spec or replaced with a component that is in spec.

The ammo issue is beginning to look pretty dim. Given what's noted on the CMP forums, I may have some real crap ammo with this MKE 65.

Anybody know about MKE 78? That's the other lot that I purchased.
    Ask the CMP Forum.
    Military Camp

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I would ditch the brass too. Could very well be brittle.

M1's are stupid tough. Other than the op-rod, an M1 can take absolutely insane levels of pressure.

Glad the shooter was safe.

I had good experiences with fulton armory, but it was a bit of a long wait

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    FWIW, Springfield tried to blow up an M1, they got to 125k PSI (iirc) when they had a bolt lug shear and a stock blow out.

They replaced the stock and shot 5k rounds of M2 ball with no issues. Realistically the rifle should be fine, especially if it passes a function check, but i understand wanting to be cautious

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    FWIW, Springfield tried to blow up an M1, they got to 125k PSI (iirc) when they had a bolt lug shear and a stock blow out.

They replaced the stock and shot 5k rounds of M2 ball with no issues. Realistically the rifle should be fine, especially if it passes a function check, but i understand wanting to be cautious
    That’s insane

jeepercreeper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2012
    DFW
    Glad that nobody got seriously hurt. I always have my beautiful face a little further away from receiver when i shoot foreign surplus ammo

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Never trust consistency of old durka durka ammo.

Man I ran some old Egyptian 9mm in a glock once. Not one round was consistent.
    If not for Glock's superior metal treatments and coatings, you'd have found out what 'corrosive' means.
    I was never a motor head, but have often equated the firing of a gun to some on pushing a motor on the quarter mile. Either way when a gun or motor lets go, its something spectacular.

I remember watching a buddies M-2 carbine bolt disintegrate, while on full auto. He tore it apart inspected it then replace the bolt & got back after it. It aint always the ammo.
    My father had an M2 Carbine bolt fail, with the extractor getting embedded in his brother's forehead. They didn't realize the bolt had failed - Dad was firing busts when his brother started screaming, they thought it was a ricochet or something - and had a hell of a time explaining to the hospital (and cops) about the 'accidental gunshot wound' until the doctor extracted the errant extractor!
    Egyptian is hot and corrosive.

Found out the hard way.
    My father fired a bunch of that crap in a Sten, the barrel corroded before he got home to clean it.

Eli

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My father had an M2 Carbine bolt fail, with the extractor getting embedded in his brother's forehead. They didn't realize the bolt had failed - Dad was firing busts when his brother started screaming, they thought it was a ricochet or something - and had a hell of a time explaining to the hospital (and cops) about the 'accidental gunshot wound' until the doctor extracted the errant extractor!

Eli
    I was at a MG shoot were one guy caught 3 ricochets in one day, one being a .50bmg. The rest of the weekend no one wanted hin anywhere near them.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Well that’s a shame.
    Always sad to see a wonderful old rifle get blowed the *uck up.
    Looks like you can harvest most of the parts to build out another.
    I’d be very suspect of the barrel. May as well replace it with a fresh one.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Well that’s a shame.
    Always sad to see a wonderful old rifle get blowed the *uck up.
    Looks like you can harvest most of the parts to build out another.
    I’d be very suspect of the barrel. May as well replace it with a fresh one.
    I bet the barrel is fine. If you blow the barrel everything else would be totally trashed, and the shooter would have a higher metal-to-flesh content

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    Update ... Turkish ammo will soon be traded.

While I await the call from the CMP to return my H&R rifle for repair, I went ahead and purchased another U.S. Rifle, .30 Cal., M1.

The new rifle is another CMP rifle; a Springfield with all original parts, including stock. Throat measures 1+ and the muzzle measures 1. The serial number puts this rifle being manufactured in 1957 and the barrel is dated June 1956. This rifle was made right near the end of Springfield's production of M1's.

Also picked up some newly manufactured Prvi Partizan ammo to run through the newly acquired M1.

Pictures of the new rifle.

20220704_083247.jpg
    20220704_083343.jpg

Now to find some time to get this rifle out and sighted in.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    Update on the MKE ammo.

The fellow who I traded it away to finally got around to pulling apart the MKE 65 ammo. He reports that the powder was fine and all weighed in at 51.5 gr. +/- 0.2. gr., the bullet sealant was broken down extensively, but the most damning item he found was that around 20 percent of the cases would not seat in a case gauge. Apparently the cases weren’t sized all the way to the base and protruded out of the gauge. Most around 1/32”, but some at almost 1/8”.

His conclusion is that the round that did in my rifle didn't get into full battery when fired. Given what the kaboom case looks like, I'm inclined to agree with this conclusion

He did resize some of the cases that didn't pass the case test, then reloaded using the same powder and charge and the same bullets and they fired fine out of his old $100 beater Garand.

So there you have it … if you have any MKE ammo, I strongly suggest that you drop it into a case gauge before firing it. Pull apart any that don’t pass and resize the case before reassembling and shooting.

This might just be some good advice for any surplus ammo.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Never trust consistency of old durka durka ammo.

Man I ran some old Egyptian 9mm in a glock once. Not one round was consistent.
    The Turkish 8mm stuff is horrible. It will destroy any semi auto you stick it in, and I have seen it crack a K98 stock.

I don't know what powder they used or how it was stored, but it has obviously degraded and is now overpressure. The best thing to do with the stuff it to pull the bullets, dump the powder, and reload it with new powder. The primers are still corrosive, so you have to deal with that though.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Update on the MKE ammo.

The fellow who I traded it away to finally got around to pulling apart the MKE 65 ammo. He reports that the powder was fine and all weighed in at 51.5 gr. +/- 0.2. gr., the bullet sealant was broken down extensively, but the most damning item he found was that around 20 percent of the cases would not seat in a case gauge. Apparently the cases weren’t sized all the way to the base and protruded out of the gauge. Most around 1/32”, but some at almost 1/8”.

His conclusion is that the round that did in my rifle didn't get into full battery when fired. Given what the kaboom case looks like, I'm inclined to agree with this conclusion

He did resize some of the cases that didn't pass the case test, then reloaded using the same powder and charge and the same bullets and they fired fine out of his old $100 beater Garand.

So there you have it … if you have any MKE ammo, I strongly suggest that you drop it into a case gauge before firing it. Pull apart any that don’t pass and resize the case before reassembling and shooting.

This might just be some good advice for any surplus ammo.
    I don't know if i agree your rifle fired OOB. The M1 has a really good OOB safety.

I don't have the rifle or ammo in front of me, but my guess is brittle brass caused a case head failure. That old turk ammo is known to have brittle brass

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom