• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    Got a call from the CMP today. After tearing down my rifle and inspecting it, all that was found in need of replacement is the extractor and (of course) the stock.

Their theory on what caused the kaboom is that the ammo case ruptured (brittle Turkish brass) as it was being extracted allowing the remaining gas to be vented into the action which is what destroyed the stock.

One other item we did discuss was the barrel. I was informed that there was a slight drag felt when a .30 cal. rod was passed through the barrel. They asked what the rifle was used for. I informed them that it was used 2-3 times a year to allow new rifle students (mostly Scouts) an opportunity to enjoy the experience of firing the "greatest battle implement ever devised." They agreed that the barrel is in perfect shape to continue doing that. However, if I had been participating in competition with this rifle, they would advise on replacing the barrel.

They're going to make the necessary repairs and test fire the rifle. Then, I'm going to get a call from Miss Tiffany to make payment before they send my rifle back to me.

All-in-all, things have turned out very well for my rifle. Really looking forward to getting it back and getting it out to the range.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    Miss Tiffany called today. Credit card information was shared.

Now to wait until the rifle shows up at my door. Then to the range to verify my zero with some nice new Prvi Partizan ammo made specifically for the M1.

It's taken longer than I first expected, but knowing that the Pros from Dover inspected and rebuilt this rifle gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    My M1 arrived home from the CMP and promptly got put on the back burner until yesterday. Had an opportunity to check it out and I am so glad to have my baby back home. Here's the first 6 rounds through it using Prvi Partizan, M2 Ball, 150 grain, FMJ (PP3006GMC).

20230522_201704.jpg

The CMP told me that they test fired it, but they obviously didn't zero it. I posted up the target above at 25 yds, and after the first 3 rounds, I did some gosintas and put 11 clicks up and 2 clicks right, and tightened up the sling! After the next 3 rounds, I threw on another 2 clicks up and 1 more click right, called it good and went on to shoot some steel at 100 yds. For those wondering, my hold point for both groups was at the base of the center stamp.

Did I mention that it's good to have my baby back home?

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    V-Tach:
    The old .303 POF from Pakistan - which I used - has some Click-Bangs (just delays in ignition, or no ignition), which are very common.

None of my buddies have experience with M2 Ball from Pakistan or Turkey, but some recent Z-'something' (?) .308 / 7,62 NATO from Turkey had some known issues, which I read about on "AKfiles" and possibly "M14forums".

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    V-Tach:
    The old .303 POF from Pakistan - which I used - has some Click-Bangs (just delays in ignition, or no ignition), which are very common.

None of my buddies have experience with M2 Ball from Pakistan or Turkey, but some recent Z-'something' (?) .308 / 7,62 NATO from Turkey had some known issues, which I read about on "AKfiles" and possibly "M14forums".

There have been reports of brittle brass on the turkish M2, similar to what the OP had.

Seemed like it was confined to earlier lots, but I'd definitely do research before shooting it.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    There have been reports of brittle brass on the turkish M2, similar to what the OP had.

Seemed like it was confined to earlier lots, but I'd definitely do research before shooting it.
    I'm taking a new tack with the ammo I feed my M1's. I've had great success with all sorts of surplus ammo until I ran into the Turkish surplus. Fair or not, that experience has soured me on ALL surplus ammo. If it's not newly manufactured or reloaded by me, it won't be run through my M1's.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    So, broke out the M1 to share with a bunch of Scouts and Scout Leaders this past weekend. First person up runs a clip through with no issues. No other immediate takers, so the first person starts in on another clip. He gets to the 7th round (15th overall), and he feels the stock push out against his trigger hand and then a sharp pain. He thinks his finger is broken. All that happened is that his hand got pinched between the broken stock.

Broken stock you wonder. How does an M1 stock break while firing? Well, you live and learn ... we all lived (only casualty was the rifle) and learned that Turkish surplus is some bad juju (MKE headstamp).

Working with the CMP to get the rifle repaired. Here's some pictures for your viewing pleasure.

View attachment 320336

View attachment 320337

View attachment 320338

View attachment 320339

The culprit.

View attachment 320340

View attachment 320341

Only found 13 of the 14 cartridges that were fired before the split case. Here's what they look like.

View attachment 320342

View attachment 320343

View attachment 320344

Anybody know if I can pull the bullets on the remaining cartridges add some new powder and have safe rounds to shoot?
    im sorry about your rifle, but you should of been using an aftermarket gas plug and not turkish ammo.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    I'm taking a new tack with the ammo I feed my M1's. I've had great success with all sorts of surplus ammo until I ran into the Turkish surplus. Fair or not, that experience has soured me on ALL surplus ammo. If it's not newly manufactured or reloaded by me, it won't be run through my M1's.
    I would reload. Here is some PPU M1 ammo with the bullet depths all over the place.
    20230421_205109.jpg

It shot 6 to 8 moa. I usually shoot some 1975 Korean ammo and it's about 2 moa and won me 1st place in a Garand match. New stuff sucks, but I gave the brass to a reloading friend and he said the PPU brass was excellent and consistent at least.

wbblazer90

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2014
    If no one has mentioned, modern commercial 30.06 may be too hot for a surplus M1 Garand per the CMP. Ammo with specific specs for the Garand should be used. Greek ball from the CMP is pretty good.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I would reload. Here is some PPU M1 ammo with the bullet depths all over the place.
    View attachment 389663

It shot 6 to 8 moa. I usually shoot some 1975 Korean ammo and it's about 2 moa and won me 1st place in a Garand match. New stuff sucks, but I gave the brass to a reloading friend and he said the PPU brass was excellent and consistent at least.
    I shoot a lot of ppu, and i mean a lot, I've never noticed inconsistent depths, i think you're seeing an optical illusion there since the cartridges never sit totally flush on the back of the clip. Oll check some random boxes here in a bit.

I get a little over 2 MOA on my Garands with PPU

xsefan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2022
    Whitney
    Wow look at the primers pushing out! Are you sure it's not a head space issue? To tight ofva chamber ? I'll bet it kicked more than you remember!

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2022
    Not Texas
    Wow look at the primers pushing out! Are you sure it's not a head space issue? To tight ofva chamber ? I'll bet it kicked more than you remember!
    I wasn't behind the rifle when it went Kaboom, just reported what the shooter said afterwards.

The CMP inspected and rebuilt this rifle, I'm not concerned about head space or tight chamber issues ... that's what I paid them to inspect, and my rifle got a clean bill of health.

We put about 100 rounds through the rifle the day I sighted it in. Not a single issue other than I couldn't miss the 8" steel plates at 100 yds. ... others not quite so successful, but to be fair, I have had more time behind this rifle than the others.

Top Bottom