• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Again from the Small Arms Solutions YouTube channel this video presentation is all about the first M-16s used in Vietnam; development, initial issues to USAF, books about the rifle, myths/rumors, mechanical setup, ammo production problems and differences with current models.
    Texas SOT

Attachments

• m16.jpg
      m16.jpg
      8 KB · Views: 58

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    An overview of the M16 during the Vietnam War including it's feature in war movies. Video provides some tips how to spot which M-16 model is featured if you watch fast and close.

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    It sucked then. Sucks now. Political coverup. Greedy contractor payoffs. I lost a couple friends when their weapons failed. Know some who traded Aussies for FALs. picked up AKs common, even SKS preferred. Still won't have one. Still same problems. YMMV. Won't risk for my kids either.

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    It sucked then. Sucks now. Political coverup. Greedy contractor payoffs. I lost a couple friends when their weapons failed. Know some who traded Aussies for FALs. picked up AKs common, even SKS preferred. Still won't have one. Still same problems. YMMV. Won't risk for my kids either.
    so you are gonna blame the gun for the faults of contractors and the military brass lmao.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Only M14 I saw was with the metal heat shield on the fore-end. Buddy I'm going to dinner tonite with has the M1A tanker, 308. IIRC, McNamera got mad at congress when they said they wanted the Big Mo out of mothballs when he just got finished mothballing it.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    We called the "black rifles" "Stoners" and HATED them.

leVieux
    My late father was an FFL/SOT from the late '60s through the mid-'80s, and sold a lot of AKs to VN Vets that despised the unreliability of the Stoner.
    Care to explain why the M14 was out-dated when it went out the door?

And if it's so out-dated as you say, why is the M14 still be used to some extent by several branches of the military currently?
    The M14 was obsolete when it was adopted, it competed against the AR-10 which was sabotaged.
    A late friend who taught me CQC was a LRRP in Vietnam, he was first issued the M-16, after the first 10rds the rifle jammed, after he cleared it he finished the mag

This happened so often that he captured a AK and used it until the CAR-15 was issued, he declined and used the AK through 3 tours

He had no problems with the AK what so ever
    I heard a lot of these stories as a kid.
    I don't know if it sucks, but it still requires a LOT more maintenance than a lot of other designs.
    The AR platform has improved into something good now.....

.....the 5.56 round, not so much.
    SS109/M855 5.56 is pretty amazing for what it is.

Eli

WAA

Sir, I decline to answer, respectfully.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    IMR4475 vs WC846 are the droids you’re looking for.

Olin effed up, but I want to believe no one there knew how important using IMR4475 powder was to making the ammunition for the M-16.

Go to their website today and the big splash says, “Integrity In Everything.” Follow the link to their Winchester division and there are currently two ammunition recalls listed.

Oh, well.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    I do remember reading about the 308W deer rifle Stoner invented, about '57 in a hunting mag. Was to be THE deer rifle. IIRC it was just called the Armalite 308W. Advertised to change hunting in the US completely. Guess they were right.

Top Bottom