• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Whos had good luck with hunting by moon phases?

I've always notice good hunting during a full moon and a few days after. I downloaded an app to the phone that rates hunting for the day hour by hour. Im not too sure how much weight I give the app. Its a lite version so weather isn't taken in account.

What phases have any of ya'll had the best of luck. Small game, rabbit, squirrel, grey fox?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Due to limited opportunites, I don't have the ability to hunt by the moon phases; I hunt when I can. But, I do know that if it's a full moon, I'll be in no rush to be in my stand by the crack of dawn...the deer won't be moving until midday at the earliest, generally speaking.

There's an old belief that animals feed more at night during a full moon, hence them not being out in the early morning, and waiting until later in the day to feed again. I always believed this until I read research that points more towards the full moon determining when animals come into heat, and how that impacts their movements.

Yea, you were talking small game and you hate deer hunting, but the same theories might apply.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    The moon does affect hunting. However it is not the only factor, you have humidity, temp, wind, cloud cover, as well as tons of other variables that come into play as well. So you cannot go by moon phase alone.

Top Bottom