• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RangerDoc275

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greater Austin, Texas
    So I've owned a Dillon RL550B for many years. Here in TX I was able to dedicate an entire room to reloading (rather than the garage space I had in Washington). So I added a second RL550 to the new room. This one came from Dillon as the RL550C. For years, I've maintained my 550B by annually disassembling it to clean and lubricate it and I just used basic 'gun' grease or a tube of assembly grease (the black stuff).

The new RL550C has built in grease fittings, but alas, I have zero experience with grease guns and these fittings. So I'm hoping some of y'all do and own RL550Cs. Dillon's FAQs don't call out specifics about the 550C.

1. What is a good quality grease gun and what fittings do I need? I can see there are holes and nipples (is that the right term?) on the 550C. Obviously I need something that goes into the holes and something that attaches to the nipples. (Did I really just type that?) Amazon has way too many choices for someone with zero experience.

2. What grease should I use for said grease gun? I'm assuming that with the new set up I can forgo the annual disassembly because I can grease it directly now.

3. How does one put grease into the "holes" on the 550C and not have it just squirt right back out of the hole? Seems there would be some sort of fitting for these too.

4. Anything else about grease, grease guns, fittings, or the sort you'd like to share will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Lynx Defense

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Get a mini grease gun at Home Despot or Lowe's. The grease that comes with it is fine. That will fit the Zerks.

For the holes make sure you're not supposed to put oil in them. If it is grease just use a needle attachment for the grease gun.

How to find out if it's oil or grease in the holes? RTFM or call Dillon.

Skee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2015
    Melissa
    So I've owned a Dillon RL550B for many years. Here in TX I was able to dedicate an entire room to reloading (rather than the garage space I had in Washington). So I added a second RL550 to the new room. This one came from Dillon as the RL550C. For years, I've maintained my 550B by annually disassembling it to clean and lubricate it and I just used basic 'gun' grease or a tube of assembly grease (the black stuff).

The new RL550C has built in grease fittings, but alas, I have zero experience with grease guns and these fittings. So I'm hoping some of y'all do and own RL550Cs. Dillon's FAQs don't call out specifics about the 550C.

1. What is a good quality grease gun and what fittings do I need? I can see there are holes and nipples (is that the right term?) on the 550C. Obviously I need something that goes into the holes and something that attaches to the nipples. (Did I really just type that?) Amazon has way too many choices for someone with zero experience.

2. What grease should I use for said grease gun? I'm assuming that with the new set up I can forgo the annual disassembly because I can grease it directly now.

3. How does one put grease into the "holes" on the 550C and not have it just squirt right back out of the hole? Seems there would be some sort of fitting for these too.

4. Anything else about grease, grease guns, fittings, or the sort you'd like to share will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Lincoln heavy duty gun with flexible whip. Mobil 1 grease, XHP works like a champ. Nipples are called grease fittings or more commonly, zerks Make sure you get on the fitting tightly (screw up or down on the whip fitting to I crease or decrease tension), align parallel to the fitting, then pump. If grease comes out around the fitting interface instead of the joint you aren't on enough or straight enough.

YouTube has a ton of videos on the subject of greasing things.

RangerDoc275

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greater Austin, Texas
    Lincoln heavy duty gun with flexible whip. Mobil 1 grease, XHP works like a champ. Nipples are called grease fittings or more commonly, zerks Make sure you get on the fitting tightly (screw up or down on the whip fitting to I crease or decrease tension), align parallel to the fitting, then pump. If grease comes out around the fitting interface instead of the joint you aren't on enough or straight enough.

YouTube has a ton of videos on the subject of greasing things.

Thanks Deavis. This is what I’m looking for. A specific model and recommendation for the actual grease and fittings so I know what to buy.

Other comments above just show some folks can be ass-hats just because they want to be. I know WHAT a grease gun is, which is precisely why I asked what gun and fittings to get. Just because I have never used one doesn’t call for insults. I’m sure there are a ton of things I’ve used that no one here has but I’d be happy to share my knowledge.

Care to discuss the pros and cons of a salpingo-oophorectomy?

Nowhere in the Dillon videos does it say what gun or grease or fitting to use. The only specific call out is for 30 weight motor oil.

Here is the ENTIRETY of the lubrication section of the RL550C owners manual...

“Use 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft and bearing grease on the pivot pins. Do not use spray type penetrating lube such as WD-40 or Break Free as you run the risk of contaminating powder and primers.”

I’ve read the manual and watched YT videos. But not knowing where to start just leaves too much to chance. Thus my reliance on folks that do know.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I really like the 1134 model and I throw on these tips, Alemite 308730-A, they grip better and have lower tendency to "leak" grease o tough to reach fittings.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Thanks Deavis. This is what I’m looking for. A specific model and recommendation for the actual grease and fittings so I know what to buy.

Other comments above just show some folks can be ass-hats just because they want to be. I know WHAT a grease gun is, which is precisely why I asked what gun and fittings to get. Just because I have never used one doesn’t call for insults. I’m sure there are a ton of things I’ve used that no one here has but I’d be happy to share my knowledge.

Care to discuss the pros and cons of a salpingo-oophorectomy?

Nowhere in the Dillon videos does it say what gun or grease or fitting to use. The only specific call out is for 30 weight motor oil.

Here is the ENTIRETY of the lubrication section of the RL550C owners manual...

“Use 30 weight motor oil on the main shaft and bearing grease on the pivot pins. Do not use spray type penetrating lube such as WD-40 or Break Free as you run the risk of contaminating powder and primers.”

I’ve read the manual and watched YT videos. But not knowing where to start just leaves too much to chance. Thus my reliance on folks that do know.

Bilateral or unilateral?

RangerDoc275

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2018
    Greater Austin, Texas
    Lincoln heavy duty gun with flexible whip. Mobil 1 grease, XHP works like a champ.

Thank you again Deavis for actually answering, without condescension. :-)

To pay it forward for the next person who uses a 550C...

The Dillon manuals and videos do not currently cover the upgrades to the 550C. And what they do cover is minimalistic at best.

Here’s what’s needed and how to lube the 550C...

Grease gun https://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Lubrication-1134-Pistol-Grease/dp/B0002NYDZ8
    This model is overkill for just using it for your press, but it is a quality product and seems like it is adequate for any intended use. It comes with a Zerk adapter but that is the lowest rated aspect of this grease gun. If you only intend to use a grease gun for your press you could definitely use the smaller 3 oz. models.

LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler
    https://www.amazon.com/LockNLube-fittings-best-selling-Long-lasting-rebuildable/dp/B00H7LPKKU
    This is the highest rated coupler. Again, probably overkill, but should last a lifetime for your press.

Grease Injection Needle
    https://www.amazon.com/Plews-05-037-Grease-Injector-Needle/dp/B000FMO6XU
    You need this for the upgraded Link Arm Pins.

Grease
    https://www.amazon.com/Valvoline-Automotive-Multi-Purpose-Grease-14-1oz/dp/B000CQ4DIM
    https://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-10005-Tacky-Grease/dp/B000ARPVO8

https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose-Grease-XHP-SPECIAL-14-1/dp/B009VGEEM4

As per the manual and videos use only 30 weight motor oil for the shaft. Just keep the shaft clean and oiled. This is the same for all Dillon presses and should probably work for any other brand of press.

Now for the specifics of the 550C.

Use the grease gun with the LockNLube coupler and attach it to the Crank grease fitting on the left side at the very bottom linkage of the press. The Crank is the linkage assembly that the handle connects to. Squeeze the grease gun handle to inject grease until old grease starts to come out of the small exit hole on top of the Crank. Disconnect the gun from the Zerk. Done with this linkage.

Now attach the needle to the LockNLube coupler. The needle has a Zerk style fitting. Insert the needle into the Link Arm Pin hole on the right side of the press. Insert it as far as you can and hold it in. It will fall out unless you hold it. This is the upper linkage just below the Shell Plate. Squeeze the gun handle to inject grease until old grease comes out of the exit hole on the front of the press. Remove the needle. Done with this side.

Repeat the above step for the Link Arm Pin on the left side. However, if you have the Dillon Bullet Tray on the Strong Mount it will interfere with the access to this pin hole. The needle will bend just enough for you to insert it but it will be bent. You can remove the Bullet Tray if you’d rather not bend the needle. Once this side is done you are finished.

The whole point of the B to C updates to the 550 press is to allow one to apply grease to the linkages without having to completely disassemble the press. The 450/550 models prior to the C update requires you to hammer out the Link Arm Pins. One pin is hollow (right side) and the other is solid. And you need a long rod to hammer these out. Don’t try to inject grease into the hollow Link Arm Pin of the older presses. There’s no way for grease to get to the outside of the pin. And there’s simply nothing you can do with the solid pin other than removal to apply grease.

Dillon sells an updated Crank with the grease fitting and exit hole and an updated frame with the new Link Arm Pins and their associated exit holes. I can confirm that these updates are a huge improvement. I load at least 10,000 rounds a year on my 550 and not having to tear it down just to grease three pins is a Godsend.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Nope. That’s also the exact same quote out of the older 550B manual. Which works fine if you do what I used to do and completely disassemble - clean - lube - reassemble method.

The whole point of the 550C is the ability to lube without disassembling the press.

ZOOM!

It went right over your head. You worry about the type of grease. It states bearing grease.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    RangerDoc, you will never regret spending the $30 on the LockNLube. It takes SO much frustration out of greasing my farm equipment.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom