• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimijames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Texas
    Hi There, cant seem to get specificity on this matter. I recently moved to Texas from California. I have a CA firearms permit, it has no reciprocity here. Thats fine and not where I need clarity.

I purchased a Glock 19 recently, and want to go to the range with it for some target practice. I thought Texas was lenient with gun laws, but now I am reading you need an LTC to conceal carry / open carry etc.

Do I need an LTC to go to the range with my pistol if its in its case unloaded?

What are the laws surrounding owning a handgun in Texas and transporting it without an LTC?

How was I allowed to purchase the handgun without an LTC, but now I need one to possess it? I don't understand.

Thanks,
    Jimi
    DK Firearms

jimijames

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2020
    Texas
    Welcome! 'Don't believe you need LTC if you're not carrying it on your person. You do not need an LTC to own the gun, only necessary if you plan on carrying it on your person.

Thanks for the reply. "Carrying" means on your person (jacket, pants, holster,) not in a case right? If I have it in its case to and from the range that should be fully legal right?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thanks for the reply. "Carrying" means on your person (jacket, pants, holster,) not in a case right? If I have it in its case to and from the range that should be fully legal right?

Yes.
    You may transport "almost" anywhere in your vehicle.
    Keep it out of sight, and you are good.

Don't carry it on your person, as you said.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Unless the range requires you bringing it in unloaded you do not have to unload it taking it from your car to your house or wherever your destination is. You may legally have a loaded hand gun concealed in your car (glove box) and it does not need a lock as long as you can legally own the gun and are the owner of the vehicle. Remember, post office and other federal property is off limits including their parking lots (who ever checks parking lots) and technically within 1000? feet of a school unless you have a license to carry (who ever checks cars driving by schools?). This is definitely not California. We don't have firearm permits. I do recommend getting a license to carry now that you are away from the PRC.
    You can also have a loaded rifle in your car and it is legal for you to walk the street with a loaded AR15 and a 30 round magazine. Legal does not mean that you should.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Here’s a good place to get started. As stated, - loaded handgun that’s not in plain sight in a vehicle is permissible under the Motorist Protection Act.

Also, you may carry on your own property/ property you control. Beyond that, you need an LTC for open or concealed carry.

Rifles and shotguns are a completely separate set of rules.

https://www.dps.texas.gov/internetforms/Forms/LTC-16.pdf

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    This is definitely not California. We don't have firearm permits.
    While TX does not have a permit to possess firearms, it certainly does have a permit to carry firearms. License to carry = permit to carry, no two ways about it except for spelling. Heard the same in NY over and over again that you did not need a permit, because all you needed was a license. In reality a license and a permit are the same thing but only by different names. What they cover, I suppose makes some difference. It would be best and following the 2nd amendment if all such nonsense and infringements of our RKBA were dropped into an abyss never again to see the light of day.

'permit
    noun (1)
    per·mit | \ ˈpər-ˌmit , pər-ˈmit \
    Definition of permit (Entry 2 of 3)
    1 : a written warrant or license granted by one having authority'
    (Source)

'permit
    noun

an authoritative or official certificate of permission; license: a fishing permit.'
    (Source)

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I purchased a Glock 19 recently, and want to go to the range with it for some target practice. I thought Texas was lenient with gun laws, but now I am reading you need an LTC to conceal carry / open carry etc.

Do I need an LTC to go to the range with my pistol if its in its case unloaded?

Transporting from point A to point B is not the same a "carrying". Not only can you trasnport a firearm without a license, you can have a concealed, loaded pistol within reach in your car without a permit any time you're driving.

It's going about your daily business outside your vehicle or property with a pistol concealed or openly carried on your person that you need a permit for. You're reading too much into the law and getting confused on terminology.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Welcome to forum comrade. Kali bad place for gun lover. I know, grew up there.
    Its amazing how much trouble new members have with the Penal Code. And apparently only people from here ever call a lawyer or Texas Law Shield. Maybe the Internet is a good source of legal advice elsewhere but it is a bit iffy here.

ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Welcome to Texas, and the forum. I moved 10 years ago from the PRC. You might want to get a LTC here, just because it saves the dealer a phone call when you purchase, and many private sellers prefer to see an LTC.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom