• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Has anyone had the opportunity to see Lt. Dave Grossman speak? He is a dynamic speaker for LE groups, civic leaders and school employees. I saw him at Texas A&M a few years back and can't tell you how impressed I was. He has written numerous books on violence among the youth in our society, and was a West Point professor. He focuses on violence in the media and video games.
    If anyones hears of him coming to Texas anywhere, I'd love to see him again. If you get the chance to hear him, dont miss it.
    Texas SOT

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I have an autographed copy of 'On Killing' from when he spoke to our Squadron Officers School course about 10+ years ago. I still remember him as being one of the best speakers from our month in that school...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Nope, but I did read On Killing. I have to disagree somewhat with some of the conclusions he drew about violence in video games and especially with his conclusions about the ready availability of firearms and "assault weapons" and the role they play on the violence in our society. He also put a lot of stock in studies by S. L. A. Marshall which are very questionable to say the least.

Interesting book, and I do agree with what he says about the mindset needed to successfully employ lethal force, and the way that training can come into play to aid in that mindset and how it and the support a person receives can affect the person afterward.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Nope, but I did read On Killing. I have to disagree somewhat with some of the conclusions he drew about violence in video games and especially with his conclusions about the ready availability of firearms and "assault weapons" and the role they play on the violence in our society. He also put a lot of stock in studies by S. L. A. Marshall which are very questionable to say the least.

Interesting book, and I do agree with what he says about the mindset needed to successfully employ lethal force, and the way that training can come into play to aid in that mindset and how it and the support a person receives can affect the person afterward.

On Killing and On Combat were great books for those who have or who will take a life.

Contrary to M. Sage, I did agree with LTC Grossmans observations about violent video games as I have broken myself from a video game addiction a few years back. It had an effect on me and I was in my damn thirties!
    Regardless of whether you agree or disagree with everything he says, the books area a good read.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm a gamer, and have been playing violent games forever. I've been playing first-person shooters since I played the very first one that was made.

I'm about as non-violent a guy as you'll ever meet (so long as everybody else is the same ;) ).

Meanwhile, I don't mind my game addiction - I've met a lot of great people (though a ton of useless turds, I'll admit) online through gaming. Violent video games don't get the same kind of cultural impact as something like rap music does. There isn't a whole lifestyle that matches what goes on in the games, while there is a whole culture of death and violence that surrounds rap and matches up with the content of the lyrics and videos.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I think its like alcohol. Not everyone that drinks is an alcoholic. But all alcohlics drink. I tend to agree with most of his conclusions, not all of them. He is very pro LE and a big supporter of officers who have to kill in the line of duty. Great speaker too.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I'm a gamer, and have been playing violent games forever. I've been playing first-person shooters since I played the very first one that was made.

I'm about as non-violent a guy as you'll ever meet (so long as everybody else is the same ;) ).

Lt. Col. Grossman doesn't say that video games make you violent. He says that continued use conditions individuals to handle stressful situations in a certain way. Affected gamers on not inherently or continually violent, but may be more likely to become violent in response to certain stimuli.

Top Bottom