• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I used to enjoy perusing the self service junk yards looking for cheap parts for my ride. Usually it’s a trim piece or something minor, although I did pull an engine for clunker commuter car when I was in college. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a self service yard because I’m older now, and and it’s just easier to find something on eBay. However, ebay doesn’t work so well when you need to ship wheels. Craigs list is an option, but assuming you can find what you want, pricing is very optimistic from the seller and it’s usually a full set. Background: I was after a single 5x5 Chevy truck rally wheel to use as a spare for my trailer. Add to that, I wanted a full size spare for the Camry. They use to be a decent deal, but not any more. The wheels were $70, but they have added a warranty charge to everything. There is no option to opt out, then there’s a core charge, and environmental fee. All the extra charges were almost as much as the wheels. I wish they would lump everything together and say “here’s what the price is for item X“ instead on tacking on these extra charges at the end. Seems disingenuous, and I won’t be going back.
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I used to enjoy perusing the self service junk yards looking for cheap parts for my ride. Usually it’s a trim piece or something minor, although I did pull an engine for clunker commuter car when I was in college. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a self service yard because I’m older now, and and it’s just easier to find something on eBay. However, ebay doesn’t work so well when you need to ship wheels. Craigs list is an option, but assuming you can find what you want, pricing is very optimistic from the seller and it’s usually a full set. Background: I was after a single 5x5 Chevy truck rally wheel to use as a spare for my trailer. Add to that, I wanted a full size spare for the Camry. They use to be a decent deal, but not any more. The wheels were $70, but they have added a warranty charge to everything. There is no option to opt out, then there’s a
    lot missing, evidently.....

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I used to enjoy perusing the self service junk yards looking for cheap parts for my ride. Usually it’s a trim piece or something minor, although I did pull an engine for clunker commuter car when I was in college. It’s been a while since I’ve been to a self service yard because I’m older now, and and it’s just easier to find something on eBay. However, ebay doesn’t work so well when you need to ship wheels. Craigs list is an option, but assuming you can find what you want, pricing is very optimistic from the seller and it’s usually a full set. Background: I was after a single 5x5 Chevy truck rally wheel to use as a spare for my trailer. Add to that, I wanted a full size spare for the Camry. They use to be a decent deal, but not any more. The wheels were $70, but they have added a warranty charge to everything. There is no option to opt out, then there’s a
    A what?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Did Grumps fall asleep while typing?
    Oh my.. I was having problems posting when I wrote this up. The screen locked up so I copied what I had written, opened a new session, and pasted it in. In my haste, I apparently didn’t copy everything. I fixed the original post with the completion of my rant.

.. core charge, and environmental fee. All the extra charges were almost as much as the wheels. I wish they would lump everything together and say “here’s what the price is for item X“ instead on tacking on these extra charges at the end. Seems disingenuous, and I won’t be going back.

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Sorry about your experience. Been there too, similar situation but the owner (probably having a bad day) started yelling at me because I dared ask about dropping the price maybe a little.

And glad that you did not get Sopranoed. :D We were worried.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Oh my.. I was having problems posting when I wrote this up. The screen locked up so I copied what I had written, opened a new session, and pasted it in. In my haste, I apparently didn’t copy everything. I fixed the original post with the completion of my rant.

.. core charge, and environmental fee. All the extra charges were almost as much as the wheels. I wish they would lump everything together and say “here’s what the price is for item X“ instead on tacking on these extra charges at the end. Seems disingenuous, and I won’t be going back.
    Not to worry Grumps. I think I fell asleep after posting my reply!

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX

So now there is Junkyard Math like there is Tire Math and Airfare math

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    So now there is Junkyard Math like there is Tire Math and Airfare math
    Yep, it’s give a low upfront price then niche and dime you with added fees at the end. I mean I figured on the core charge even though I think it’s a money grab. $10 on a wheel with scrap valve of a couple of
    bucks? I’ll never collect my core back simply due to the distance. It’s 30 minutes to any of their 3 locations, and even if it were $20, not worth an hour of my time plus gas and mileage. As fun as it is to peruse the wrecks, this will likely be my last visit

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I thought core charges were only put on items that are rebuilt or remanufactured.
    Well apparently LKQ never got that memo. Like I mentioned earlier, I really do think it’s a cash grab because they know that nobody will waste their time over $10

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Beat 'em at their own game - have an old part that just MIGHT be similar to what you're buying an' hand it to 'em, greasy side first.

BTW - most folks forget, the bus will ship damned near anything for a LOT less than anyone else.

Top Bottom