• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Both of the ones I mentioned are FFP. Any others reasons not to consider them?
    I really don't recall why I dropped Trijicon from my list. I do know in the beginning they were at the top of my list and I honestly thought that is what I would end up buying. My decision process revolved around three things. Rifle - optics - shooter/owner. I wanted a good rifle, I got a LaRue. I did not want the capabilities of the rifle to be limited my choice in optics. I bought the Vortex Razor HD Gen III. I wanted the shooter/owner the be the weak point of these three points. I succeeded in that. The owner can be made better with dedication and practice. I do not know what shooting conditions I may encounter whatever it is I want the equipment to not be the reason I could not make that shot.

If someone thinks the glass is as good in a $600.00 optics as it is in a $2,000.00 optics - they are only fooling themselves. Clarity, brightness, sufficent illumination of the reticle for bright daylight condition there are a multitude of reasons why one optics cost more than 3 times as much as a low cost optic. granularity of elevation/windage adjustments. If one is happy with a low dollar optics I'm happy for them. But they should not fool themselves into thinking 600=2,000 because it does not!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    alright y'all... I am finally going to "pull the trigger" on upgrading my AR's optic from an eotech to an LPVO. I would really like to keep things under 2K and I know I will be relatively happy with any of them but if spending on the high end I want it to be perfect.

A few of my considerations... I love the NightForce NX8 reticle (I am a huge fan of the horseshoe or circle style center rather than just a dot in crosshairs) but the eyebox/field of view makes me want to go a different direction. Vortex razor HD Gen 3 is perfection but a little too "busy" with the extras for wind and range going on in the reticle for my type of usage and would 100% go with the razor HD gen 2 lpvo if it can the same center as the gen 3 but rather its just the dot and crosshairs (their eyebox/field of view seems to be AMAZING). I do like the PA ACSS reticle and also considering the Sig tango6T but not a whole lot of reviews on it yet. with the consideration of a more horseshoe or circular center reticle over just a dot like the NF or Vertex Gen 3 and a good field of view/eyebox, what would y'all recommend? any and all opinions/advice are welcome!
    US OPTICS has a 1-6(or 8?) That is a "simple cross hair" reticle and within your budget.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    alright y'all... I am finally going to "pull the trigger" on upgrading my AR's optic from an eotech to an LPVO. I would really like to keep things under 2K and I know I will be relatively happy with any of them but if spending on the high end I want it to be perfect.

A few of my considerations... I love the NightForce NX8 reticle (I am a huge fan of the horseshoe or circle style center rather than just a dot in crosshairs) but the eyebox/field of view makes me want to go a different direction. Vortex razor HD Gen 3 is perfection but a little too "busy" with the extras for wind and range going on in the reticle for my type of usage and would 100% go with the razor HD gen 2 lpvo if it can the same center as the gen 3 but rather its just the dot and crosshairs (their eyebox/field of view seems to be AMAZING). I do like the PA ACSS reticle and also considering the Sig tango6T but not a whole lot of reviews on it yet. with the consideration of a more horseshoe or circular center reticle over just a dot like the NF or Vertex Gen 3 and a good field of view/eyebox, what would y'all recommend? any and all opinions/advice are welcome!
    I see I’m a little late jumping into this thread, but here goes. I assume from the OP you are looking at at least a 1-8.
    This narrows the field, as the problem with a lot of these optics, as you have mentioned, is the eye box.
    Any Vortex less than a Razor is not great. Strike Eagle is absolute trash.
    PA SLX is shit. The platinum is actually not bad, and you get the ACSS.
    I have never used the Kahles, but they consistently get great reviews.
    The ATACR is great glass with a great reticle, but damn $3K for a 8x!
    I have an IOR Valdada 1-10 that, with its 26mm objective, has the greatest eye box I’ve ever seen on a 10x. My only complaint with it is I wish the dot was just a little bigger on 1x.

Last edited:

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot

There are certainly some outstanding LPVO’s for over $1000, but personally I think you can meet 95% of all needs with a sub $600 optic. I think the price around $500-$700 is the spot where you really get the best value.

My suggestions include the Vortex Viper 1-4 (this is my first LPVO and has been flawless for several years):

Amazon product ASIN B08JHSFRBH
    My most recent purchase is this Burris, and I really like it:

Leupold scopes are GTG as well.

I understand that you get what you pay for, but I have a hard time understanding why guys who are happy with a $35K truck (versus a $90K truck) think they need the top shelf scope.
    I own 2 RT-6 and a RT-8, and FOR THE MONEY, they simply can’t be beat. Great values.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    If someone thinks the glass is as good in a $600.00 optics as it is in a $2,000.00 optics - they are only fooling themselves. Clarity, brightness, sufficent illumination of the reticle for bright daylight condition there are a multitude of reasons why one optics cost more than 3 times as much as a low cost optic. granularity of elevation/windage adjustments. If one is happy with a low dollar optics I'm happy for them. But they should not fool themselves into thinking 600=2,000 because it does not!

I’ll assume your referring to me here. Guess either I wasn’t clear or you didn’t read what I wrote.

I never said a $600 optic was as good as a $1000+ optic. My point was most shooters will get by fine with something less than top of the line.

But whatever...buy the glass you think you need. Your money.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I own 2 RT-6 and a RT-8, and FOR THE MONEY, they simply can’t be beat. Great values.
    I think a lot of people are sleeping on Burris. I run an RT-6 on my 3 gun rifle and it has made 2 years of being thrown into dump barrels. The reticle isn't quite daytime bright, but none are in that price range. It hasn't held me back at this point.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

W_kemp

Life is hard, it’s harder if you’re stupid
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    There are certainly some outstanding LPVO’s for over $1000, but personally I think you can meet 95% of all needs with a sub $600 optic. I think the price around $500-$700 is the spot where you really get the best value.

My suggestions include the Vortex Viper 1-4 (this is my first LPVO and has been flawless for several years):

Amazon product ASIN B08JHSFRBH
    My most recent purchase is this Burris, and I really like it:

Leupold scopes are GTG as well.

I understand that you get what you pay for, but I have a hard time understanding why guys who are happy with a $35K truck (versus a $90K truck) think they need the top shelf scope.
    I actually love the reticle on the vortex striker eagle 1-8 and much cheaper, the biggest difference really is glass quality and durability from my understanding and if you've ever used or just looked through a top end scope the difference is pretty significant. still in consideration on the lower end mid range optics though!

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I actually love the reticle on the vortex striker eagle 1-8 and much cheaper, the biggest difference really is glass quality and durability from my understanding and if you've ever used or just looked through a top end scope the difference is pretty significant. still in consideration on the lower end mid range optics though!
    Don’t do it. The eye box is terrible!!
    Burris RT-6 blows it out of the water for same price.

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    Don’t do it. The eye box is terrible!!
    Burris RT-6 blows it out of the water for same price.
    I just like the reticle definitely not going with that option though, If I do go cheaper I may consider the Trijicon Credo FFP 1-8 seems fairly good from what I am seeing looking into it!

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    Let's not gloss over this. Leupold is my go to for scopes. Anything else has to offer a better value, which doesn't mean cheaper.
    I love the leupold 1-6 and 1-8... the price is just so damn high. I don't think Leupold has ever made a bad optic haha

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    The Leupolds are also not true 1 power. Most are around 1.2x, some are 1.5x
    To some it doesn’t matter. Personally, if I’m paying the big money for a 1-8, I want a true 1x for both eyes open red dot speed.

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    The Leupolds are also not true 1 power. Most are around 1.2x, some are 1.5x
    To some it doesn’t matter. Personally, if I’m paying the big money for a 1-8, I want a true 1x for both eyes open red dot speed.
    That's something I really like about the Razor Gen2-E 1-6 - almost perfect 1x...I leave the illumination on all the time (battery change every 6 months), and with only the dot lit up, it's just as fast as an RDS - (even with the ffp reticle, which is preferable for anything out a bit further)

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    alright I have narrowed it down to 4 options... higher price range is vortex Gen 3 and leupold Mk6... lower price range is PA plx 1-8 and trijicon Credo 1-8..

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    alright I have narrowed it down to 4 options... higher price range is vortex Gen 3 and leupold Mk6... lower price range is PA plx 1-8 and trijicon Credo 1-8..
    With those choices it's six one way, half-a-dozen the other. You really can't go wrong. If I had those sitting on a table, I'd go for the Vortex...

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    With those choices it's six one way, half-a-dozen the other. You really can't go wrong. If I had those sitting on a table, I'd go for the Vortex...

If I hear back from my email i sent to BDU to see if they are carrying the vortex Gen 3 that they do have it I think that is my likley direction

W_kemp

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2020
    Hugo, OK
    I’d pick the Razor or PLX, depending on price point
    I think the only thing holding me back from plx is the picture on 1x, if they just added crosshairs outside of the reticle to draw the eye in I feel like it would be perfect

Top Bottom