ARJ Defense ad

Low Power Variable Optic - What's the latest/greatest?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NETSEO9

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Paris Texas
    I’m very happy with my Steiner P4Xi. B&H Photo has them for $560 right now. Can’t get better glass or construction for that price.
    Venture Surplus ad

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    I have been single-handedly making Flannel Daddy's YT page popular with all the LPVO reviews I've been watching (plus other sites). I was set on a 3.5 or 4x ACOG, but with what these optics can do, they seem to make a lot more sense for a 'do it all' solution.

Can someone explain in 'real world' terms what's called (I think) the first vs. second field of view plane? Probably have that wrong, but it's where you're zooming in on the reticle that stays in place, vs. the reticle zooms/enlarges as you zoom. I see why people would have a preference for either, and mine I think would be the former, in that the reticle 'is' the reticle, no matter how far/close your magnification is. Of course I think those are the ones in the $1300-2000+ range, depending on who makes it.

Will be putting this on a KAC SR-15.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have been single-handedly making Flannel Daddy's YT page popular with all the LPVO reviews I've been watching (plus other sites). I was set on a 3.5 or 4x ACOG, but with what these optics can do, they seem to make a lot more sense for a 'do it all' solution.

Can someone explain in 'real world' terms what's called (I think) the first vs. second field of view plane? Probably have that wrong, but it's where you're zooming in on the reticle that stays in place, vs. the reticle zooms/enlarges as you zoom. I see why people would have a preference for either, and mine I think would be the former, in that the reticle 'is' the reticle, no matter how far/close your magnification is. Of course I think those are the ones in the $1300-2000+ range, depending on who makes it.

Will be putting this on a KAC SR-15.

First focal plane v second focal plane. On a LPVO, I don’t see a compelling reason for FFP.

I also don’t see a compelling reason for most shooters to have use an LPVO instead of a fixed 4x or 5x on an AR, unless you’re routinely going to be reaching out past 300 yds and need a precision (not battle) capability.

Back in ‘12-‘13, one of my men had a successful one-shot engagement with a combatant at 417 yards using an ACOG. He was an average shooter back then, just knew how to use the tool provided to him.

If that’s the your use case, then I look towards a 1-8X FFP.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Quality comes at a price.
    I picked something up gently-used recently that just blows me away.

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-AccuPower-1-8x28-Riflescopes/dp/B07TKNNMBT

The 1-8x Trijicon Accupower with it's huge 34mm tube is bright and clear and directs an surreal amount of light to my retina!!!

BTW I do also have the 1-4x Steiner recommended by another on my 9mm Tavor. It is reasonably priced and on the pistol caliber carbine it's a short range shooter but the 4x always leaves me pining for just a bit more magnification.

Last edited:

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    Quality comes at a price.
    I picked something up gently-used recently that just blows me away.

https://www.amazon.com/Trijicon-AccuPower-1-8x28-Riflescopes/dp/B07TKNNMBT

The 1-8x Trijicon Accupower with it's huge 34mm tube is bright and clear and directs an surreal amount of light to my retina!!!

BTW I do also have the 1-4x Steiner recommended by another on my 9mm Tavor. It is reasonably priced and on the pistol caliber carbine it's a short range shooter but the 4x always leaves me pining for just a bit more magnification.

I have been looking at those as well, so I guess the AccuPoint which is the tridium-powered (by the fkn' sun!!) version. I'm glad to know you like it! What's the eye relief on that bad boy?

All weekend I've been looking at the 3.5 or 4x ACOG+RMR combo they have which is also really nice.

The VCOGs seem to sell street for about the same as the ACOG+RMR setup, need to keep watching more videos on all these...

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All weekend I've been looking at the 3.5 or 4x ACOG+RMR combo they have which is also really nice.

The VCOGs seem to sell street for about the same as the ACOG+RMR setup, need to keep watching more videos on all these...

I happen to be a big ACOG fan, owning 4.
    Reason I did not mention is because when I've mounted them on a bolt rifle I feel like they look dorky.

Worse still, on a bolt gun I feel dorky-looking with an ACOG mounted.
    I'm just aesthetically insecure, you might assert.

The ACOG+RMR on my Sig 516 is just superb. A pig killing machine!

Maybe an ACOG for you? They are crazy-clear and bright and truly rock solid.

Honestly though.....I've never once used the RMR on my ACOG for anything beyond playing with it as a range toy.

RSBro

No Limit Honky
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Magnolia, Texas
    After some more thinking, I decided to go ahead with the Leupold Mk 6 1-6 in 5.56 reticle. I figure if I don't like it, I'll just send it back and go to an ACOG. My dad wanted to buy my SCAR 17, which I haven't used in probably 2 years (I know...self employed sucks sometimes) so wasn't out of pocket anything.

Am looking at the LaRue Tactical QD mount.

Top Bottom