ARJ Defense ad

Looking to buy my first can. Anyone have experience with OSS?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2019
    DFW
    Just starting to settle into the state. Going to set up a trust. I've watched dozens of videos, read a lot of forum threads and looked at a lot of models the current production OSS cans look to meet everything I'm looking for. I know that there are quieter cans but I like the low back pressure that won't affect gas systems on different rifles. I have found a good price on the TI MAGNUM.

Anyone have one? What are feeling about them likes/dislikes.
    Gun Zone Deals

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    What are you using it on?

Not my favorite can for 99% of applications

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2019
    DFW
    I don't want to sprayed in the face with gas or have to clean mags after every trip. I like that the rifles don't need to be modified and functions on what ever I screw it on. Weight is also something to consider but not my highest priority.

My next option was the Dead air sandman they seem to be very well liked. I don't know how they affect function, how much blowback there is, and they only offer titanium with direct thread.

Again I could be completely over thinking some of these drawbacks I don't know I have zero experience with suppressors.

I just want something with multi use in mind because I will be slowly building but want something that isn't limiting.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Dead Air Sandman L, Nomad 30 or Nomad L
    TBAC Ultra 7 or 9
    Rugged Surge
    YHM Resonator
    Griffen Armament Recce 7
    sig SRD762QD
    Q Thunder Chicken and Trash Panda
    EAC Vox

Any of these over a oSS

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Not to hijack but why not the OSS can?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    1. They are loud
    2. for their size and weight
    3. Expensive

Just not a fan

That said. If you are running a bullpup they might be the right can

Joshua - Capitol Armory

Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2015
    With OSS cans... here's something interesting. The people that like them are either paid to say it, get free cans, or owners of them and don't have much experience.

You've got 3 people in this thread that have shot a LOT of cans... 2 of them tried to nicely say you should not get an OSS can. The third is going to echo them....

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    With OSS cans... here's something interesting. The people that like them are either paid to say it, get free cans, or owners of them and don't have much experience.

You've got 3 people in this thread that have shot a LOT of cans... 2 of them tried to nicely say you should not get an OSS can. The third is going to echo them....
    Exactly.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    First, RIP Sean Cody.

Second, I wouldn't drop the OSS can off the list just because. Granted, there is a lot of experience on here that doesn't like them apparently, but it's just opinions in my opinion (actually, that's a fact).

Here's the truth about the OSS cans:

Neat and unique design. Most everything out there is a monocore baffle or a stack of cones. Nothing more really. Some use more or fewer cones. Some are different angles. Whatever.

The quietness is generally (not always) related to the internal volume of the can. My Bowers Dreadnought can will probably be quieter than anything listed so far...and it's 11.75" long (sitting on my 338LM).

My Thunderbeast Ultra 7 6.5 is nice on my 6.5 Creedmoor. Funny side note, I couldn't get data from my Labradar. Called LR and said WTF? They said "what can are you shooting?" I said "the TBAC Ultra 7". "Oh, well. We have a lot of problems with that can. It's too quiet. That and the Omega." "Great, thats the other can I have on my other 6.5 (AR-10)." Kind of a backhanded compliment I guess. Incidentally, the Omega, in comparison tests, seems to regularly be one of the quietest on the 300 blackout (see exception below).

My OSS, however, seems louder. That said, I love the concept. Very much "less gassy" and nothing compares with it in that department. It can't. Its unique design is all about that. Dirty ammo: Watch the video comparison on the dirty ammo in the magazine after half a mag of regular can vs OSS. I've done the test too. It's legit. Would you load visibly dirty ammo in your mag and run it in your gun? Guess what. You do every time you shoot a full mag with a can on it. Maybe it's overstated what kind of affect that has. Maybe it's nothing to worry about. But it's ironic that if I handed you a box of filthy ammo you'd probably think twice about jamming it in a magazine and going to the range with it.

And if you're tuned in to the military stuff, OSS has done well with military testing. Granted, their purpose may be different than yours...and they have deeper pockets. The OSS cans aren't cheap and the fact that they don't include the muzzle device puts them up with Thunderbeast and Surefire cans. And you're not doing mag dumps or running belt fed MGs with your can probably so maybe the "military" aspect shouldn't apply to you (as it probably shouldn't with most things like, say, military ruggedness in optics or flashlights when you just go to the range or shoot from a deer blind).

As for "louder", while I think the OSS is louder, it's also on my 10" 300 blackout. So, my Thunderbeast can is at the end of my 24" barrel and my OSS is at the end of my 10" barrel. My TB is barreled on a short action (6.5) and a stock. My OSS is on an AR pistol. Haven't measure my ear distance from the end of the OSS vs the end of the TBAC, but OF COURSE it'll seem louder. Probably 18" closer! I think even in scientific testing it meters louder (1m left, 1.5m high or whatever), but in it's application in my setting it seems louder to me because it's the closest to my ear also. Just keeping it real!

The Sig cans are nice. I like mine. Have the SRD762. The titanium QD can is one of the few quieter than the Omega (based on a few reviews I've seen). I don't have one of those (the titanium, I do have an Omega). But, that goes to the size thing from earlier. Larger internal volume.

Dead Air stuff is good although I don't own one. Funny story about that: I saw a sales rep for DA bragging on the QD mount. He says "see how easy it is?" Then he couldn't get it off the can for the life of him. He said that one must be broken (the QD part). Kind of embarrassing. I like the idea of the KeyMo mount. Although OSS has an even more "high tech" concept (self tightening but no moving parts/locks/springs).

Also realize that sometimes some cans sell well because of the deals. Through Silencer Shop, a lot of deals might be had like "Buy any DA can and get a Ghost-M for $399". Sig did a lot of those (or SShop did it with Sig) where you buy a 762 can and get a 22 can for $99. Even OSS had a "get a free muzzle device" and Daniel Defense had a "free tax stamp" through Silencer Shop dealers. Very popular deals. So the "most sold" can isn't always "the best" can.

When buying a can, there are really about five factors that should help you decide (assuming good quality):

Price: everyone has some kind of budget. How important is this to you?

Length: are you trying to stay compact? Do you want a K can? can you take the 12" Bowers?

Weight: pay more and get titanium and save weight. Don't care about weight? Maybe pay less and get the steel.

Quiet: just hearing safe or ninja quiet? quieter usually costs more, but not always. often titanium cans. size matters quite a bit. generally bigger is quieter...and more expensive (Sandman-L vs -S; Ultra 9 vs Ultra 7...)

Mount: QD or direct thread? QD usually costs more in the same platform (Sandman TI is direct; -S or -L is QD and costs more; Sig 762TI is cheaper than the TIQD).

In the more minor category, there is also tone. All else equal, you might just like the sound of one can over another. "Thud" over "snip".

And then there's quality, but really most good name brands are all good. There's even some good cans out there that have meh companies. I won't name names for this, but sometimes a decent product isn't supported or managed well because it's just a few guys in a garage (I guess...like Apple or Dell?) and they can't manage production or return calls and manage warranties or defects. Many of the companies mentioned are actually offshoots of other companies. The founders worked for or founded other companies previously. I'm a little rusty on the exact incestual web, but I think AAC-> Sig -> Q, and somewhere in there SWC -> SilencerCo and I think some of those guys mutated into Griffin, Dead Air, Rugged, and a few other companies. Basically, a lot of companies have legacies with guys who know the biz.

Last edited:

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    Read through this whole thread as I'm leaning towards an OSS 7.62 can for my Barrett Rec 10 .308. I'm having stove piping issues when running with my Crux Nemesis30 & Axe9. Believe it's due to too much back pressure. I can't change to an adjustable gas block since Barrett design a proprietary gas block.

I'm now curious what you suggest Joshua? And you won't sell me on a SiCo can. Not a fan at all.

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    So you came here to confirm your bias and did not get it, good luck.

I'm not bias. I initially was thinking of getting a Deadair Nomad. However, OSS's design seems to be a better option since I can't get an adjustable gas block.

Now if one can articulate a better option and reasoning behind that selection, I'd like to hear it. See.... That is called "research." I just don't want to here; "Don't get XYZ." or "Good luck." I want to hear valid points. Like how A&P give, what I feel, is an honest opinion. Not what Joshua said "Don't get it" without reasoning other than three people don't like them, is an empty post. Provides no information. And one could assume, as a retailer, he might be heavily bias.

I don't like SiCo cans. Mainly because I see them at the Honda of the suppressor world. Not that they are "bad" cans. I just feel there are "better" manufactures. With that said, if one can only afford a SiCo can, I tell them to get it. I'd rather encourage more people into owning NFA items than just make meaningless posts.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Now if one can articulate a better option and reasoning behind that selection, I'd like to hear it. See.... That is called "research." I just don't want to here; "Don't get XYZ." or "Good luck." I want to hear valid points.

I did not follow up before as others covered it, and I really could not relate to your main issues:

I don't want to sprayed in the face with gas or have to clean mags after every trip. I like that the rifles don't need to be modified and functions on what ever I screw it on.

I do not have either of these issues with any rifle/can I own, and I am LEFT-handed. Thus it is hard to recommend a solution to a problem that does not exist in my world. I will say the best solution to prevent gas dump in your chamber is a closed bolt or a piston or an overbored can if you cannot do the others.

You have to realize though, at the end of the day, nobody really cares what can you buy, so do not expect anyone to make a significant effort to convince you by "articulate a better option and reasoning behind that selection"

Robert_K

Glocks Not Cocks
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    North Houston
    I did not follow up before as others covered it, and I really could not relate to your main issues:

I don't want to sprayed in the face with gas or have to clean mags after every trip. I like that the rifles don't need to be modified and functions on what ever I screw it on.

I do not have either of these issues with any rifle/can I own, and I am LEFT-handed. Thus it is hard to recommend a solution to a problem that does not exist in my world. I will say the best solution to prevent gas dump in your chamber is a closed bolt or a piston or an overbored can if you cannot do the others.

You have to realize though, at the end of the day, nobody really cares what can you buy, so do not expect anyone to make a significant effort to convince you by "articulate a better option and reasoning behind that selection"

You’re confusing me with the original poster.

A & P

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2014
    Tomball/Magnolia
    I'm not bias. I initially was thinking of getting a Deadair Nomad. However, OSS's design seems to be a better option since I can't get an adjustable gas block.

Now if one can articulate a better option and reasoning behind that selection, I'd like to hear it. See.... That is called "research." I just don't want to here; "Don't get XYZ." or "Good luck." I want to hear valid points. Like how A&P give, what I feel, is an honest opinion. Not what Joshua said "Don't get it" without reasoning other than three people don't like them, is an empty post. Provides no information. And one could assume, as a retailer, he might be heavily bias.

I don't like SiCo cans. Mainly because I see them at the Honda of the suppressor world. Not that they are "bad" cans. I just feel there are "better" manufactures. With that said, if one can only afford a SiCo can, I tell them to get it. I'd rather encourage more people into owning NFA items than just make meaningless posts.

I don't think he's biased because he's a retailer. OSS cans have as good as margins as most others (some really suck, though). He might just not like them, or maybe he asked for free stuff and didn't get it. Who knows.

As for my opinion, and the stated impression which is accurate, I find that the concept of the OSS can is much less gassy. I've had a few situations where my eyes were stinging from the gas in the face with other cans. And watch any video of "normal" cans. Lots of gas in the ejection port. Doubt that's all solved by "piston guns" as the other guy suggested.

OSS cans, incidentally, do have a "gas signature" out the front rather than out the side. Also, it's highly possible (accurate) that the amount of gas in your face has to do with the platform, the round, and even the powder. I'm sure if someone with more time than me wanted to do a demo, they could. I have two presses 4' behind me right now and can't make time to reload in over 4 months.

Try loading up some 300 blackout to similar performances with H110, CFE Black, and a few others. See which appears more gassy on the same gun with the same can. And then maybe try that all again with an OSS can.

But load aside, the OSS can just has to be less gassy by design. But it might meter louder at the muzzle. I do think the OSS design would be MUCH more forgiving in tuning your gun (w/can; w/out can; supersonic; subsonic). No adjustable gas block? No problem.

Also, most people won't spend this kind of time responding because, well, I have a mental condition. Consistently the longest posts in any forum, and I'm not bragging. I just need medicine. :)

Top Bottom