Hurley's Gold

Looking to build two home defense specific shotguns and can't decide...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jeff Fox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Huntsville
    I have 3 that range from pump to semi auto and had the same desire a while back; a gun anyone could throw on their shoulder and be effective. I ended up on a Mossberg 500E in 410. Re-barreled with 18.5" and threw a front sight on it. Use Hornady self-defense rounds that have 41 cal slug in front and 2 balls behind it. It is light, almost no recoil, and the round itself is a reckoning. At 25 yards it is dead on. A 10 year old child could manage it. It took a bit to pull together the gun and barrel. I was surprised how hard it was to find to find the 410 shotgun. Good luck.
    Target Sports

Cityboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    Fredericksburg, TX
    I have a Mossberg Model 500 20 ga with a shortened buttstock and an 18 1/2" barrel. I think that this will satisfy most people's needs for a home defense shot gun, considering the distances of most shots inside the home.

Cityboy

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    I will keep it simple, my Ithaca model 37 police special serves me well loaded with # 4 buckshot.

FYI, to all of the discussions over birdshot vs. buckshot,

I think if you will run a pattern test at ranges that would be encountered in a home defense situation (I would guess typically between 2 to 7 yards being as how the average living room is no longer than about 21 ft), I think you will discover that the shot does not spread out in a massive pattern at ranges less than 10 yards

the target at normal self defense ranges will receive the bulk of the shot in "my opinion"

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I will keep it simple, my Ithaca model 37 police special serves me well loaded with # 4 buckshot.

I think if you will run a pattern test at ranges that would be encountered in a home defense situation (I would guess typically between 2 to 7 yards being as how the average living room is no longer than about 21 ft), I think you will discover that the shot does not spread out in a massive pattern at ranges less than 10 yards

the target at normal self defense ranges will receive the bulk of the shot in "my opinion"
    I agree with your opinion. I still like buckshot though....

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

I agree with your opinion. I still like buckshot though....

Buckshot is superior to birdshot for home defensive purposes. But, at very close ranges as @HCS mentioned, within the confines of the home, birdshot does hold a very tight pattern and would be deadly, or at least still inflict massive injuries.

I did my own informal testing on various construction materials, and an old hog shoulder just to see for myself how much damage birdshot could do at close ranges. It does plenty! It will penetrate and blow through 1/2" plywood and even 2x4's. It will easily go through drywall with ease. It will rip up flesh and muscle with ease as well.

The advantage buckshot has, is that the larger and heavier pellets carry more energy over a longer distance than birdshot. Birdshot loses energy very quickly. Some might even think because of that it may be better suited for hone defensive purposes if a person is concerned with over-penetration of the pellets. That I haven't tested, so I can't offer any input on that.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom