Guns International

Looking for suggestions on building low maintenance high usage target boards/stands

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matt2k12

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Hey yall - I started up a range as seen in another thread in this forum. I am currently running on what I consider to be temporary target stands that I bought from Metal Spinning Targets - Home. They only provide for about a 18"x24" target board and they get destroyed very quickly with that much fire concentrated on them.

Replacing target boards and the wooden frames has quickly become the most time consuming and labor intensive part of running the range. I know I can streamline and optimize this process and I have some ideas of my own. BUT, I am looking for suggestions for a more permanent solution. I would like to put an 8'x2' board in each target stand horizontally.

I would very much appreciate some photos, sketches, diagrams, descriptions, etc of the target stands at your local ranges.

I would love to be able to simply drop/slide the target boards into a sleeve or frame with no fastening or clipping required. Anything that the board drops or slides into though requires a frame with a pocket in it and that pocket frame can be easily destroyed by gunfire and disable the stand.

IF there are off the shelf target frame systems I would love to see them.

However I am anticipating constructing my own frames and this is the best I can come up with: Weld 3 pieces of rebar together in parallel like a wire rope (without twist) to make the legs and frame. Then get some industrial type clips and simply clip the boards to the frame with a metal clip or clamp (which will frequently get destroyed). The metal clamps that I found are not cheap either. McMaster-Carr You can basically assume they all get shot in 1 week's time. So you would need to constantly have these clips on order and coming in. And like I said at $3-$5 per clip its not very economical.

Coming across this forum and post in some searching and I think I found a solution: Gun Range Target Stand Construction

The angle iron is a very good idea. < V > Drop the boards into the v shaped slots which are also conveniently angled away from the shooters at all times. I also have welders out the wazoo offering to weld in exchange for memberships so this might be a good thing although the material cost will be considerable but I think much more long lasting. I think I am going to head in that direction but would still like some input from you guys!

TIA
    Capitol Armory ad

mantawolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    Lowry Crossing
    Terrell's club has target stand holders placed behind railroad ties to protect them. Then the frames are made from 1x2s with a fiberboard center that is maybe 2x3 foot in size. We have a small group of guys that puts them together and keeps us with the ones we need.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Make the frame with angle iron but with the point of the "V" pointing towards the firing line, that way you can hide the clamps behind them so they don't get shot up.

That being said, the range I go to has 4x4 posts in the ground every 12 feet and they nail two 1x4 boards horizontally, one upper and one lower. Shooters go out and staple their targets to the boards. The boards do get shot up and replaced as needed (maybe every couple of weeks?) but it's a large range and they have a staff to do that sort of stuff.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    The range I used to go to out in Mineola had a fairly simple idea. - (2) two 2x4 rectangle metal "tubes" set about 18" deep in ground and about 30" apart center to center . 1 by frame uprights for legs and framing. Approx. 28" l-r by 20" tall with a total height of approx. 5'-10" to 6'-0" with backer board for targets.

Another range I went to on occasion had 2x4 freestanding target frames that used 2x4 flat footing with approx. the same dimensions as above.

Yet another used the same principle(s) as above but used cinder block footing filled with crete and 2" pvc uprights about 12" tall for the target frame uprights to slide into.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom