• ...and so much more!
  • Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    My daughter worked as a CPS investigator for several years. Recently she applied for and got a job as a probation officer which is an armed position. She was told to get herself a safe for what will be her issued handgun. The only requirement was that it can be attached to a wall. Why a wall is beyonf me, I would think to the floor would be more secure but such is it. So, she asked me what to get. I have been looking around and saw what appear to be some decent ones with 3/16" doors and 10 gauge bodies but I know very little about the quality of them or the companies that make em. It seems ones I would think are better sell for around $300.00.

What I am concerned about, besides the thickness of the steel, is the locking mechanism and how it opens. I am thinking that one with a biometric scanner to unlock it would be best since as opposed to a push button combination lock. That is because she has a young son who has been known to quickly open combination locks of the push button type as if he has a supernatural power to unlock them. Of course, they depend upon batteries (so need to be maintained regularly in that regard) and some also come with a key (which I would tell her not to keep in the house). I still am left wondering though - are those with biometric scanners better than those with push button combination locks or is it the other way around.

I would appreciate some input from folks who use a locking pistol safe/box/vault as to what brands you think are best, what are the type of unlocking method you think is preferable and as to the reliability of either type unlocking type. Keep in mind the most important criterion is not fast access but rather that her son does not get into it. Please no tirades about teaching her son not to handle the pistol; rest assured he will be so taught. Regardless of that, there is no way any reasonable adult should trust a young child not to fall to the temptation of trying to taste the forbidden fruit - as in him grabbing a cookie from the cookie jar when told not to do so or him trying to check out mom's pistol after being told not to do so without asking mom first and having her show it to him.
    Military Camp

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Go on over to YouTube and after a few drinks enjoy as much content as you can from the lock picking lawyer.

Anyway, a few preferences I have for the best way to increase the time needed to bust open a safe or lock. Understand locks are just time. Given enough time and one will get in.

No outside hinges!

Disc detainer cores only. Good ones like from abus, require custom pick tools. So the odds of your random thug having said tool is very low.

Understand that most products she buys can be opened fast with jiggler keys and magnetic locks are often the worst thing you can buy.

Too bad they don’t sell to the public what’s on atm locks. But that’s something I won’t discuss.

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I would think a floor safe with an old dial set up. It's not electronic but it is slower. Your question seams to indicate keeping your grandson out is top of the requirements as well as meeting her workplace requirements. With a locking dial, that might keep him out. As far as what brand I haven't looked into that aspect in many years. A wall safe behind a picture might be another way to go with old tech.

magholder

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2021
    Utah
    I've got the old dial safes, i've got the biometric safes, and the new push button safes. The guns in my dial safes feel safer and no chance of my kids figuring that out since it takes me 2 or 3 tries to get the turns correct. The push button safes are next but as you mentioned its easier for kids to watch those and figure it out. I put the fear of the almighty in them though if they ever get close to any of my safes. I've had a biometric safe and i didn't like it. Eventually my fingerprint changed from a cut on my finger and I had to drill out the safe to get my gun out. I wasn't happy about that.

dartsinsa

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2018
    Katy, TX
    FAS 1 safe. They are about 400 bucks.
    Simplex lock which is very fast and very secure, along with 7 guage steel makes it heavy.
    These are the locks used in realto boxes, and initially had some issues with magnetic attacks, but have long ago fixed that.
    I have been very pleased with mine.

and he is in Sant Antonio.....gotta love a Texas company

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    My daughter worked as a CPS investigator for several years. Recently she applied for and got a job as a probation officer which is an armed position. She was told to get herself a safe for what will be her issued handgun. The only requirement was that it can be attached to a wall. Why a wall is beyonf me . . .
    If that means TDCJ Parole Officer, I scanned only chapter 1, sec 1.1.10 and didn't see anything about a safe. And if the below is applicable, it will be weeks before she's approved to carry so there's no rush deciding on which safe. Happy reading :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    She was told to get herself a safe for what will be her issued handgun.
    I can't address your concerns. I lack the expertise. However,...

In light of her location and reading your description of the problem, I have to ask. Is this a written policy, approved and enforced by some agency of the state?

If so, she needs to understand the definition of "safe" used in the requirement. Most "gun safes" aren't safes; they're "Residential Security Containers."

A bureaucrat with a grudge can make life miserable for an employee who doesn't follow the rules to the letter.

If they really want her to buy a safe, she needs to talk to someone who actually sells safes, not RSCs.

Just a point that really jumped out at me, former bureaucrat that I am. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They explained very little and commit themselves to less.

Coiled was able to find online the place where Texas would publish that information. New York should do something analogous.

It's tough to be over-prepared when dealing with employment conditions by a government entity. I'm just sayin...

Top Bottom