Guns International

Looking for guidance regarding military uniforms.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    We have been holding on to my deceased Grandfather-I-L's dress and service uniforms (career Army) for the past 20 years. We have been storing a lot of my FIL's possessions (long story) but he passed last year. My uncle in law asked if we would send him all the medals, commendations, and family pics but is not interested in the uniforms. Besides them sitting in the closet until we die and being thrown in the trash, is there any Texas organizations or other places that will take them or is it a zero sum game because they are so common? Not looking for money. Our only goal is to be respectful to GIL's service and belongings.

Side note: I joined the family a few years before GIL passed but had little contact with him due to poor family dynamics. Going through pics etc, it turns out he was a bad ass and earned a purple heart and multiple bronze stars in Korea and Vietnam.

16046.jpeg
    16045.jpeg
    Target Sports

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    There is a Military store/museum and a Cafe dedicated to our service men and the History.
    Contact them @ Honor Cafe 536-286-8081 or @ honorcafe.us
    This is located in downtown Conroe
    Haven't heard of them but I'll keep them in mind if I can't find something more local.

I'd say check with the local VFW hall. They might know a collector, museum, reenactment group that is looking for period uniforms.
    VFW was my first thought. The one we checked wasn't interested.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Don't donate them to a museum, unless you are prepared to accept that 1) there is a very good chance they will not be displayed and 2) there's also a good chance they could be sold to make money for the museum.

Honestly, the greatest chance of their being taken care of is within the collector community; but also realize once you give them away, they no longer belong to you nor do you have any say in what happens to them!

Not to be overly negative about it, but as a collector and military history buff, I've see far too many times people donate items which they believe will be cherished by the recipient but weren't.

But I do commend you for trying to find a good home for them, as far too many history items do end up in a landfill as the family doesn't have any interest in them.

Top Bottom