• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Currently living in NJ with all indications I will be in Texas (Allen area) by the end of August.

I'm building a rifle primarily because I have a buddy that lives down there that has some acreage and wants help with hog depredation.
    I've hunted and am a decent shot. So I decided to go with a .223. I'll be loading my own using Nosler "Bonded Performance" bullets and Varget.

The rifle is a BCM upper/lower with factory parts in the lower. Premium BCG and a 16" Criterion "Core" series barrel(I'm currently 5 weeks in to a 12+ week wait), 16" set up for a suppressor with a SureFire muzzle device. Optic will be a Sig Sauer LPVO Tango 6, 1-6.
    Everything is just parts right now and sitting in a box waiting on the barrel.
    Unfortunately NV and or Thermal is not an option at this moment. If "excess" funds are found, I will be buying a suppressor first and foremost. Glass will come after if deemed necessary.

Did I do ok with my choices? Any suggestions on changes that I can effect prior to assembly/move?
    Hurley's Gold

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    A 223 will kill pigs pretty well as long as the shot placement is good and correct type of bullet is used, but I prefer to use my 6.5x6.8 wildcat, 6.8 SPC II, or 260 Remington AR10.

If I take a 223 for pig hunting, I use the Sierra 65 gr Gameking bullets. They work really good.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My vote is change your trigger to something nice. If constant feedback is shot placement then that matters.
    It's the upgraded BCM trigger which is surprisingly nice. I'm a trigger snob so I am in agreement with you.
    I vote 308
    Tough to do on an AR15 platform. I have bolt guns in 6mm, 7mm and 30cal.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I think your rifle choice is just fine. Bullet selection is more of an issue here and I think your Nosler bonded bullet will be fine. I also second the comment abut the Sierra 65gr Game King if you can find them. The 165gr Game King is my preferred 30 cal hunting bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    That’s why you need an AR-10. :)
    Coming up but not right now...
    I think your rifle choice is just fine. Bullet selection is more of an issue here and I think your Nosler bonded bullet will be fine. I also second the comment abut the Sierra 65gr Game King if you can find them. The 165gr Game King is my preferred 30 cal hunting bullet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I will look for them. Thank you.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    My rifle, is a DPMS Sportical, the only thing I have upgraded, is a free float handguard and pistol grip. Currently, it has a RDS as an optic and it is very accurate. I have put down many hogs with this setup, using 77gr FMJ. Around here, woods are really thick and hardly ever get over a 100 yrd shot, mostly 50yrds or less, so this setup works very well. I have never had a hog walk off, drop right on the spot. The barrel may be a 1:9 twist, but at these short ranges, stability or accuracy is not an issue.

Bully

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    My rifle, is a DPMS Sportical, the only thing I have upgraded, is a free float handguard and pistol grip. Currently, it has a RDS as an optic and it is very accurate. I have put down many hogs with this setup, using 77gr FMJ. Around here, woods are really thick and hardly ever get over a 100 yrd shot, mostly 50yrds or less, so this setup works very well. I have never had a hog walk off, drop right on the spot. The barrel may be a 1:9 twist, but at these short ranges, stability or accuracy is not an issue.
    Thank you. Much appreciated.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    That's what I have but it's a 10

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I started with 556. Then I went to 300BLK, now I am at 762.

762 just gives you more. More thump, more range, more forgiveness for less than great placement.

I am not sure how it works for others, but for me I rarely see a single hog. I see sounders full of them. Anywhere from 4-5 to 20+. So I get one good shot, and after that it is a free for all. They are running everywhere and you are shooting COM.

My advice is do not buy anything else till you get here. A lot of what you have is not optimum or is costly and locks you in (like SF muzzle device).

Right now the best deal is an DPMS LR-308 lower kit from CDNN.

DPMS LR308 COMPLETE LOWER WITH STOCK GRAPHITE BLK (cdnnsports.com)

Then get complete upper from the usual places and are in business.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom