Hurley's Gold

Looking for a Hog Trapper in North Texas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Does anyone know of a trapper that they could recommend? I am taking care of the beavers on a property that is mostly wooded, thick woods, where the landowner also has a hog problem. I have walked through the trails in the woods and there is very recent tracks, feces, and rooting. He has daylight photos of some of the visiting hogs as well. As much as I would like to help this guy with his hogs, this isn't the type of property where rifle hunting is going to do much to the population. With few clearings, there are few shot opportunities and even if you did get a shot, chances are it would be just one, which doesn't do much to a sounder.

The property in question is near Forestburg in Montague County. The landowner seems very flexible about how the job is handled.
    Hurley's Gold

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    1655212057081.png

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Does anyone know of a trapper that they could recommend? I am taking care of the beavers on a property that is mostly wooded, thick woods, where the landowner also has a hog problem. I have walked through the trails in the woods and there is very recent tracks, feces, and rooting. He has daylight photos of some of the visiting hogs as well. As much as I would like to help this guy with his hogs, this isn't the type of property where rifle hunting is going to do much to the population. With few clearings, there are few shot opportunities and even if you did get a shot, chances are it would be just one, which doesn't do much to a sounder.

The property in question is near Forestburg in Montague County. The landowner seems very flexible about how the job is handled.
    A corn feeder and a suppressed rifle might be the only thing that might work. Or even a group of hunters with suppressed rifles.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I got night vision

Ain't gunna help ya in thick woods. As soon as that IR illunator comes on & hits foliage.. it throws the light back into the scope... you won't be able to see more than 10'.

Even using thermal you are limited what you can see due to thick foliage on the trees in thick woods.

Also the higher the magnification of the scope will make it hard to see. Most NV starts at 3x... better have some distance... at least 50 yards of clear open area. The trees need to be trimmed at least 10-15' up so you can get a good beam with the IR illuminator.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    If there is enough room those cell phone activated traps can catch a bunch of hogs. Craigslist has them.

Top Bottom