• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Hey guys, more of a lurker than a poster, but I wanted to hear some thoughts on the Librem 5, if anyone has been following it. For those that don’t know, the Librem 5 is a cell phone by the company Purism, based of off a Linux OS. (No android or Apple)

The phone has been in development for several years and reviews of earlier model beta phone show it to be really rough around the edges. It’s also very high priced for what your getting. ($800, or $2,000 for U.S manufactured) App support is also very limited (obviously)

I wouldn’t even be looking at a phone like this if it weren’t for my current disgust with big tech and their increasingly worse attacks on free speech. Purism last approach is based on privacy and freedom of use. They claim not to track or sell your data, have manual kill switches for gps, camera, and internet, and have removable battery/WiFi/modem.

I’m probably crazy for wanting to spend a bunch of money on a subpar phone, but I also like the idea of getting away from Apple/Google and support a company that actually cares about privacy/freedom.

is anyone else following this company and/or have any insight into if this would be a good investment or not?

https://shop.puri.sm/shop/librem-5/
    Target Sports

SGT Dave

Very Tired
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Kyle, TX
    I like the idea, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that price. Is it compatible with any cell provider, or do you have to use their $99/mo service?

Personally, I think I may return to a simple flip-phone after my current phone dies.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    I like the idea, but I'm not sure I'm willing to pay that price. Is it compatible with any cell provider, or do you have to use their $99/mo service?

Personally, I think I may return to a simple flip-phone after my current phone dies.

Suppose to work with other sim carriers I believe, but it’s a little confusing for a (non techie, I.e. me) to understand. They configure your phone to a certain baseband of your choosing, based on your carrier, but you have to know what baseband your carrier requires. Their own service looks like it’s based on AT&T cell towers.

IndyDave1776

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    Indiana
    Suppose to work with other sim carriers I believe, but it’s a little confusing for a (non techie, I.e. me) to understand. They configure your phone to a certain baseband of your choosing, based on your carrier, but you have to know what baseband your carrier requires. Their own service looks like it’s based on AT&T cell towers.
    Two thoughts:

1. My misadventure into what was supposed to be Linux at its simplest reinforced that this means simple by computer nerd standards, not grumpy old man standards.

2. If their service is based on AT&T towers, you aren't gaining anything. AT&T will still have access and AT&T is the .gov's biggest spying partner.

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    Two thoughts:

1. My misadventure into what was supposed to be Linux at its simplest reinforced that this means simple by computer nerd standards, not grumpy old man standards.

2. If their service is based on AT&T towers, you aren't gaining anything. AT&T will still have access and AT&T is the .gov's biggest spying partner.
    I agree, to an extent. Anything using the Internet/phone can ultimately be tracked. But for what it’s worth, purism registers your phone number/SIM card under their company name, then bills you for it. So I’d say it does add another layer of red tape for the government to access your personal information. Nothing is perfect, but these are steps in the right direction. Is it enough to warrant the extra cost? I honestly can’t decide.

Top Bottom