• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Can't tell if it has solar panels or antenna on it, bigger than our weather balloons. Or they could be 'sails' to steer it. Reported that it has changes course. Or all 3. Definitely could cause some ground damage if it came down. Supposedly came over Alaska and Canada before US. Relay info to their low orbit satellites? Giant TicTok data collector?
    DK Firearms

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It sounds as if they are worried about the debris field.

Debris field over Alaska/Canada/Montana beats one over a major US city. This should have been shot down immediately.

Gonna be a real cluster if it starts to deflate over a city.

What are they gonna do if it heads for DC?

I do not think these people can look 1 move ahead.....

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Debris field over Alaska/Canada/Montana beats one over a major US city. This should have been shot down immediately.

Gonna be a real cluster if it starts to deflate over a city.

What are they gonna do if it heads for DC?

I do not think these people can look 1 move ahead.....
    Heck, R, I am not sure they can think...

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Maybe they can't shoot it down. It's at 60k feet, what planes do we have that go that high and are armed, air to air missiles not designed for balloons. Machine gun projectiles might pose a real risk to people on the ground. If we were going to shoot it down it would have to be before it hit the west coast and they didn't maybe because they can't. We must have known it was incoming right? We do have that capability right?

Reactions: gll

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Maybe they can't shoot it down. It's at 60k feet, what planes do we have that go that high and are armed, air to air missiles not designed for balloons. Machine gun projectiles might pose a real risk to people on the ground. If we were going to shoot it down it would have to be before it hit the west coast and they didn't maybe because they can't. We must have known it was incoming right? We do have that capability right?

The only thing we've got that can fly up in that thin air is the F-22, because the trust vectoring engines give it the ability to maneuver. F-15s top out around 50k, and that's a couple of miles lower than the balloon. So the Oregon ANG couldn't have touched it, and helicopters or rednecks in Cessnas will have no chance to take a shot.

But...I see no logical reason to allow it to remain unmolested. As Oldag said, seems like a good use of a laser. Either put a small puncture in the balloon itself, or damage the payload so it can't continue gathering whatever intel they're gathering.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    If that thing is any way, a weather balloon, then I'm a better shot than Jerry Miculek. And more than a few of you have seen me shoot.

That spying apparatus needs to be destroyed immediately and forthwith, if not sooner.

Then again, with Mr Potatoehead in charge and his Cabbage cabinet blindly following, we'll be lucky to be around until the next election.

Last edited:

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    But...I see no logical reason to allow it to remain unmolested. As Oldag said, seems like a good use of a laser. Either put a small puncture in the balloon itself, or damage the payload so it can't continue gathering whatever intel they're gathering.
    A puncture and damage to their equipment should be done.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    The only thing we've got that can fly up in that thin air is the F-22, because the trust vectoring engines give it the ability to maneuver. F-15s top out around 50k, and that's a couple of miles lower than the balloon. So the Oregon ANG couldn't have touched it, and helicopters or rednecks in Cessnas will have no chance to take a shot.

Yes. Somewhere we have this 747 with a huge laser on the back. Might be time for a "smoke" test...

ETA - yeah, this could do it

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!

We've had that cability since 1985...

1675464638283.png

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    We've had that cability since 1985...

View attachment 370654

The ASM-135A ASAT program ended in 1988. And the balloon might be a few miles too low for that missile...

An AMRAAM could hit it from a few miles below off an F-15 (or from the same altitude launched from an F-22) but...I don't know if anyone has any idea if the balloon would cause the warhead to detonate.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    An AMRAAM could hit it from a few miles below off an F-15 (or from the same altitude launched from an F-22) but...I don't know if anyone has any idea if the balloon would cause the warhead to detonate.

I might be wrong about hitting it with an AMRAAM - the AIM-120 AMRAAM's maximum effective altitude is publicly released as 50,000 ft...since that's typically as high as military jets can reach. It probably has a higher actual effective ceiling, but it might not quite be 60,000 ft. No way to know...and those who do know can't tell us.

Top Bottom