• ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Thankfully they took it serious and shot it down quickly.

/s

It’s super serious so they let it go literally all the way across our country. We have clowns in office.

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    Right now Russia and China are mass producing weather balloons at a furious pace. Once released and while we are all looking up and wondering..........................:roflsmile:

Dinoble1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2016
    Southeast FL
    IMG_4263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It has an inboard M61 20mm made by General Dynamics.

F-117 never had a gun, A-10 had a 30mm, and F-35 has the 25 mm you mentioned. Most every thing else in the era has the 20mm

LoL. 0200 and I posted something in the internet. I’ surprised it was half-right.

Sad thing is I don’t even remember being awake then and I didn’t drink a drop yesterday.

• Haha
    Reactions: gll

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I'm thinking the whole affair was an arranged thing between FJB & his Chinese handlers to create a warm fuzzy feeling toward FJB when he eventually "did the right thing".
    I'm not sure Biden can tie his own shoes, let alone arrange a 'look at me' moment.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    wasnt that a decayed orbit?

Anyway back on topic - also interesting is 9X engaged target well outside its envelope spec. Possibly highest engagement ever but not sure if all of the Chinese U2 shootdowns were SAMs.
    Sidewinder is the most effective air to air missile in history. Nothing else even close.

The only issue with the Sidewinder at that altitude would possibly be control (too thin of atmosphere for the steering fins). And I do not know for certain that is an issue at that altitude. Nothing else would be affected. Solid rocket motor carries its own fuel and oxidizer, no worry about getting oxygen from the atmosphere.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    sarcasm? They all have guns, generally the same one in different configs20mm M61 Vulcan.

I too wonder why they did not perforate the balloon with 20mm.
    I am thinking it was the early F4 Phantoms that did not have guns. Added via pod later.

Oops. Just read GZ's more detailed post.

With regard to R's comment, the F117 was not really a fighter. Not surprised it did not have a gun.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Sidewinder is the most effective air to air missile in history. Nothing else even close.

The only issue with the Sidewinder at that altitude would possibly be control (too thin of atmosphere for the steering fins). And I do not know for certain that is an issue at that altitude. Nothing else would be affected. Solid rocket motor carries its own fuel and oxidizer, no worry about getting oxygen from the atmosphere.

The AIM-9X (the current variant, and the type used on the balloon) has a two-axis thrust vectoring engine nozzle - which would help with the thin air at altitude. This particular shot was several thousand feet above the previously published performance envelope for the missile, which is why a lot of people were suprised.

As for it being the "most effective"...it's at least the most effective short-to-medium range AAM. Luckily it's max range easily overlaps the AMRAAM's minimum range, which extends the fighter's reach nicely.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    steerable balloons over the US
    I wil still maintain this is the goal of CCP. The one over Venezuela and Columbia was intended to go across the south US, but got caught in the stream going south. The north one went over our missile AND B1 (Idaho) and B2 (Knob Noster) sites. Then across the Charleston nuke sub base. A navigation test to be sure. FJB may not know what's going on but our operational Mil. does.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The AIM-9X (the current variant, and the type used on the balloon) has a two-axis thrust vectoring engine nozzle - which would help with the thin air at altitude. ….
    Also HOBS capable with the helmet (JHMCS), although not germane to this discussion.

We also just et the world know about AIM-9X
    seeker head capability against a low thermal signature target as well.

Combine that with statements DoD has made about where it originated from, where it travelled, tracking it, and other INTs leads me to believe the Chinese learned way more about us and our capabilities than we will learn about them from this escapade.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Also HOBS capable with the helmet (JHMCS), although not germane to this discussion.

We also just et the world know about AIM-9X
    seeker head capability against a low thermal signature target as well.

Combine that with statements DoD has made about where it originated from, where it travelled, tracking it, and other INTs leads me to believe the Chinese learned way more about us and our capabilities than we will learn about them from this escapade.

AIM-9's have had some pretty amazing seeker capabilities since at least the late 80s when they were able to go from "chase the hottest heat source" to "identify an object by its heat signature, even against a hot background". The altitude capability, though, wasn't widely known.

The most glaring thing the Chinese were allowed to learn is how complacent our 'government' under the Dementia Patient In Chief is about intrusions into our airpsace.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I am thinking it was the early F4 Phantoms that did not have guns. Added via pod later.

Oops. Just read GZ's more detailed post.

With regard to R's comment, the F117 was not really a fighter. Not surprised it did not have a gun.

I know but they gave it a F instead of an A so went with it. Likewise the A-10 cannon is for ground but could be used for air.

Top Bottom