Military Camp

Local bank or credit union recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Smart Financial Credit Union here. They are decent, no real problems in the ~10 years I’ve been with them. I have a TDECU acct as well, and while they are a disappointment, I do still keep a min amt of $ there for PayPal purchases. My beef with TDECU stems from Covid shutdowns. The branch I bank with had the ATM located inside the bank. So, if I wanted cash without paying a fee, then I would need to go to a full service branch with a drive through which was like 15 miles away. I suppose Bucees would have been an option too but it’s a 20 minute drive from where I live

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    I've never had a problem with Wells Fargo in twenty some years.
    I did not know about the $25 service fee.

mm54943

Not So Well Known...
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Fort Bend area
    Smart Financial Credit Union here. They are decent, no real problems in the ~10 years I’ve been with them. I have a TDECU acct as well, and while they are a disappointment, I do still keep a min amt of $ there for PayPal purchases. My beef with TDECU stems from Covid shutdowns. The branch I bank with had the ATM located inside the bank. So, if I wanted cash without paying a fee, then I would need to go to a full service branch with a drive through which was like 15 miles away. I suppose Bucees would have been an option too but it’s a 20 minute drive from where I live
    You can use the ATMs at CVS or Walgreens without any fees for TDECU members.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    My wife and I need to break down and get a new banking institution. Currently our accounts are with our old credit union in the PNW, and with US Bank which does not have a presence anywhere near Houston. I've had accounts with Wells Fargo and Chase before, and aside from liking Chase's fraud department's proactivity - I don't feel a burning urge or desire to go back to banking with either of those institutions. I like smaller, local banks or credit unions more, as you also tend to get friendlier service.

We have a Prosperity Bank and Wood Forest bank close by in town, but I'm open to other suggestions if there are good alternatives.

Its getting annoying dealing with everything remotely - wife's employer doesn't offer direct deposit, so she gets a paper check every Friday. We can deposit it online with our old credit union, but sometimes it takes a while for deposits to show up. There's also the inability to conveniently access cash when necessary.

I have a credit card thru Capital One, but the closest Cap One Bank branch is in The Woodlands and is damn near a 40-45 minute drive away, depending on traffic. Something in Old Magnolia or Tomball would be ideal.

I’m from a Banking Family and was a substantial owner of “The Bank of River Oaks” until we sold it.

If you have significant business borrowing needs, I’d find a small bank, perhaps outlying a bit. We still use “First Bank of ElCampo” for minor services and have found them OK for 40 years. Otherwise, FROST Bank of San Antonio has been excellent for a big bank.

The “Credit Cards” must be re-shopped regularly, and shouldn’t be used for “running a balance”. Pay it out every month without fail.

Good Luck

Top Bottom