• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    This may have been covered before and excuse me if it has but has anyone loaded 38 special 158 gr jacketed HP? I have loaded some in the past but is there a problem with bullets getting stuck in the barrel? I have never had a problem with this and never load below minimal settings. Have a few Oregon Trail 125 gr cast but a bunch of 158 gr jhp Montana Gold that I bought years ago. I use the Hornady XTP load data. I don't load +P. All for target and not carry shooting. I will either use Win 231 or CFE Pistol.
    Texas SOT

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I looked into this with Speer 158gr JHP but found that they removed their load data for it a while back due to concerns with stuck bullets.

I would imagine as long as you're loading hotter you'd probably be ok but I haven't opted to mess with it yet.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    I have a bunch(almost 1000)158gr coated boolits that gave me fits until I quit messing with it. I have remnants scattered about my decapping bench. I've thought about messing with it but right now one of my boys stacked my loading bench with Wolf/Tula 223 ammo to sell for him. So if I want to do any loading it'll be single city for a while.

Mills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2020
    Texas
    So when you say stuck, do you mean there was no boom when you pulled the trigger ?
    Was there evidence of a power charge ?

Last edited:

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I am not talking squib loads here. I am talking about bullets getting stuck using fmj 158 gr bullets and this apparently came from Handloader Magazine some time back. Hodgdon still lists 158 gr Hornady xtp loads but I believe Speer has removed all load data for their TMJ 158 gr bullet but they list for 357 magnum. I personally have not had a problem but I load midrange powder levels.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Throw a light 38 load 158 in a 357 carbine at 20" and you can see the issue quickly. We had to make adjustments for that very issue with cowboy loads, you have to load hotter with the heavy ones to not see a huge drop in velocity as the pressure dies in the long barrel with fast powders. Stopped loading heavy bullets for that application and no more issues. I'd the goal is a rigle/pistol friendly load qith similar velocity, heavy bullets and a super fast powder make it difficult.

Top Bottom