Llano outdoor gun range

DoubleDuty

Well-Known
Feb 9, 2019
DFW
This post is just let the folks know about our small outdoor range in Llano. We are the Storey/Caulder Shooting Range or more simply, the Llano Gun Club. A very small range on Llano city owned property located next to the city of Llano collection station & recycle center/dump on hwy 16 just north of Llano. We have target back stands- 1 @ 15 yrds, 3 @ 25 yrds, 2 @ 50yrds, 1 @ 100 yrds, and 1 @ 135 yrds. The backstands are 8' long x 4" high.There are 8 sit down shooting stations with concrete tables made for left or right hand shooters. At the pistol area there are two long, high tables to shoot from that you can put your pistol stuff on. We do not have electricity or running water, but we do have a porta-can. No more peeing behind a berm.
Our hours and days of operation are the same as the city of Llano. We are open daily from 9:30am - 5:00pm, although we ask that you start shutting down at 4:30pm and be heading out at 5:00pm so you don't get locked in. We are closed Wednesday, Sunday and all city holidays. When you approach the range, we ask that you stop at the dump attendant's shed and let her know that you are going to the shooting range and not dumping stuff.
Anyone can shoot here. Membership is a $40.00 yearly. If you are not a member, we ask for a $5.00 donation. There is no hourly or per gun charge. Stay and shoot as long as you'd like. The fees pay for our insurance through the NRA and range maintenance. We also give scholarships out to local high schools kids. This year we will give out at least $3,000.00 worth of scholarships. Although we are city owned and operate on city property, we are completely self funded.
You can shoot steel, bring your own plates, we have hangers @ 50 & 100 yrds.
Now for the stuff we can't have.
1) No .50 cal - our range is way too short and there is a chance that when you overshoot, you kill some rancher's cow.
2) No tracer - I shouldn't have to explain
3)No shotgun shot, but shotgun slug is fine. The city doesn't want shot, their property, their rules. Plus shotgun shot destroys our backstands in a hurry.
4) No full auto, some idiot ruined it for us by playing Rambo and shooting un controlled over the far berm. Thanks, a-hole, whoever you were.
5) No tannerite
6) No running & gunning. We are too small and not set up for that.
7) Don't be stupid, use common sense.
Come visit us.
I forgot to add, we are affiliated with the CMP. So we count for one of the qualifications to purchase from the CMP.
Can you move closer to my house

avvidclif

Sturgis '95, RFTW 2010
Aug 30, 2017
Van Zandt County
That brings up memories of the PD's range in Guymon, OK. It was at the city dump. The aroma on a summer day did nothing to entice eating. And they had a Regional Championship PPC match there.

Sounds nice, your range.

toby1

Dec 28, 2018
Llano, Tx
We are open again, same hours and rules as before. I haven't posted our re-opening as we were sweating being over-crowded and the city shutting us down completely if we were. The only difference is that the city has made us close every other bench. Their property, their rules. So, instead of 10 rifle benches, we have 5 open. We actually have not had a problem with overcrowding yet. I am just hoping we get to open fully before deer season. The pistol firing line is un-affected with any type of closure.

Bolt

Feb 11, 2021
Austin, Texas
This post is just let the folks know about our small outdoor range in Llano. We are the Storey/Caulder Shooting Range or more simply, the Llano Gun Club. A very small range on Llano city owned property located next to the city of Llano collection station & recycle center/dump on hwy 16 just north of Llano. We have target back stands- 1 @ 15 yrds, 3 @ 25 yrds, 2 @ 50yrds, 1 @ 100 yrds, and 1 @ 135 yrds. The backstands are 8' long x 4" high.There are 8 sit down shooting stations with concrete tables made for left or right hand shooters. At the pistol area there are two long, high tables to shoot from that you can put your pistol stuff on. We do not have electricity or running water, but we do have a porta-can. No more peeing behind a berm.
Our hours and days of operation are the same as the city of Llano. We are open daily from 9:30am - 5:00pm, although we ask that you start shutting down at 4:30pm and be heading out at 5:00pm so you don't get locked in. We are closed Wednesday, Sunday and all city holidays. When you approach the range, we ask that you stop at the dump attendant's shed and let her know that you are going to the shooting range and not dumping stuff.
Anyone can shoot here. Membership is a $40.00 yearly. If you are not a member, we ask for a $5.00 donation. There is no hourly or per gun charge. Stay and shoot as long as you'd like. The fees pay for our insurance through the NRA and range maintenance. We also give scholarships out to local high schools kids. This year we will give out at least $3,000.00 worth of scholarships. Although we are city owned and operate on city property, we are completely self funded.
You can shoot steel, bring your own plates, we have hangers @ 50 & 100 yrds.
Now for the stuff we can't have.
1) No .50 cal - our range is way too short and there is a chance that when you overshoot, you kill some rancher's cow.
2) No tracer - I shouldn't have to explain
3)No shotgun shot, but shotgun slug is fine. The city doesn't want shot, their property, their rules. Plus shotgun shot destroys our backstands in a hurry.
4) No full auto, some idiot ruined it for us by playing Rambo and shooting un controlled over the far berm. Thanks, a-hole, whoever you were.
5) No tannerite
6) No running & gunning. We are too small and not set up for that.
7) Don't be stupid, use common sense.
Come visit us.
I forgot to add, we are affiliated with the CMP. So we count for one of the qualifications to purchase from the CMP.
I would like to purchase membership. How can I do so?

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
silencers
third coast
DK Firearms
Tyrant Designs
Ranier
Drockton Bullion

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member