• ...and so much more!
  • benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've had a request to explain how to embed links. Here's how I do it.

First, I'm on a desktop, running Firefox. When I start composing a thread, part of the page looks like this:

mieQ85n.png
    DK Firearms

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Note that between the title (Link Embedding) and the text (I've had a request...) there is a line of icons:

tETHKyq.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The seventh icon from the left looks like a section of chain. That's the icon for "link".

To link anything in the post you're composing to any URL, you highlight the text you want to serve as a link then click the little chain icon. That gives you this:

T1iOR6V.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    At that point, you just click "Insert" and the highlighted text turns blue. The highlighted text has become a link to the web page I specified.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Now, this works for me and my computer setup. If anyone has experience doing this in Tapatalk, I encourage you to post here. If that doesn't happen, I'll do some research on my own.

Also, if anyone has a desktop or laptop and is using a different browser and gets something that looks substantially different from what I've posted, please post your experiences.

I'm always interested in the ways TGT looks different on different hardware and software so if anyone can contribute to my education, I'd appreciate it.

Questions or comments?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've never used the "link" icon. I just copy the address straight from the address bar of the page I want to link to and then paste it in the message box here.
    Yes, that works fine. However, the question I got was how to linkify (Is that a word?) a single word in a message. IOW, it's the difference between going to Google or going to https://www.google.com/

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I use the method you describe Ben.
    I am curious how some change the link into a "word", or "description" of the link, instead of the actual link verbiage?

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    I use the method you describe Ben.
    I am curious how some change the link into a "word", or "description" of the link, instead of the actual link verbiage?
    Yea, sorry just got back in.

Chrome on my laptop. Know how to move a link but where do you "re-label" it as in.......>>>>"click here for cheap goodies" (<<<colored...not linked)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    OK, I didn't explain something clearly, then. Does post #13 address your question? Or is it something else?

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    Yes you did say it clearly, I needed to READ it clearly...lol

Yes, post #13 was my test.....pass.

All good my man.

On my other sites you enter the url and apply it, then in your post it gives you a second URL but its highlighted blue so you put your cursor on it and type what you want it to actually read and the URL overwrites (dissappears) because it was highlighted.

Top Bottom