Gun Zone Deals

Lifetime Texas LTC? Would you if you could?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Wouldn't at my age............

I'd gladly pay $1000.00 not to get my car inspected again, though..............

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Not exactly…. There is one state with a lifetime LTC, the DPS department is required to do a big check every 5 years, its done automatically. Their computer system kicks out a list for those needing their 5 year big check and it goes through the process. All without the LTC holder having to do a thing. It’s up to the DPS to do the Bg checks. As long as it’s written into law that DPS is required to do the checks, then our LTC will continue to bypassNICs

awesome. Problem solved. Too obvious for texas though like PLC, they would make 600 times harder.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Opinion only...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Opinion only...

I didn't know about the Lower Colorado River Authority, but I did know about schools and restaurants. Since I often visit schools (recruitment), that was a big one for me.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I didn't know about the Lower Colorado River Authority, but I did know about schools and restaurants. Since I often visit schools (recruitment), that was a big one for me.

The school one is referring to the Federal GFSZA which is roundly ignored and in any rational court would be thrown out as unconstitutional. But it is really nothing new as you could have carried in your car through a school zone previously without a LTC, but you were still violating federal GFSZA.

popo22

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    "Regarding the fee(s) we should only have to pay to replace/print out the ID card and reimburse range fees for the qualification... None of us should have to pay more to extend the length for flexing our right to carry. So.. how much more? $ZERO."

^^^ Agreed

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    We here in Louisiana have "lifetime chl's". But now, they are making us take the course and tests every 5 years, anyway. Not much benefit from the "lifetime" license. We still renew out Texas licenses. It would be really nice if the States would accept the same test & training, but no, not yet. . . . . .
    leVieux

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    What I've gleaned reading 3+ pages

Old guys say no, because they're gonna die soon.

Young guys are split - some say yes, because they're tired of the stupidity of continued renewals, others say "no" because they don't want to pay more to exercise a "right"

I'd much rather see changes to the permitless carry law, to remove force-of-law behind no-guns signs (they can still ask you to leave, and if you refuse you are then committing trespass, and I could even get behind bumping it up to criminal trespass with a firearm being a high level misdemeanor if you don't leave when told) AND remove the entire list of prohibited places on the state level. Then you could actually exercise your "right" without a government permission slip and paying your dues to the king.

The LTC could remain, for the sole benefit of it being a "NICS bypass card" or "reciprocity card" but there should be no difference between how / where you carry with an LTC vs permitless carry within the state.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Young guys are split - some say yes, because they're tired of the stupidity of continued renewals, others say "no" because they don't want to pay more to exercise a "right"

I'd much rather see changes to the permitless carry law, to remove force-of-law behind no-guns signs (they can still ask you to leave, and if you refuse you are then committing trespass, and I could even get behind bumping it up to criminal trespass with a firearm being a high level misdemeanor if you don't leave when told) AND remove the entire list of prohibited places on the state level. Then you could actually exercise your "right" without a government permission slip and paying your dues to the king.

The LTC could remain, for the sole benefit of it being a "NICS bypass card" or "reciprocity card" but there should be no difference between how / where you carry with an LTC vs permitless carry within the state.

I would like to see this change to the trespass law regardless of LTC or permitless, though honestly with the current offense being a no-jail $200 ticket class C misdemeanor, and with numerous exceptions (volunteer emergency personnel, etc), it's effectively moot. Also if you don't leave after being requested, it IS a class A misdemeanor if you're carrying a weapon, so no changes required there either.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville

I do agree, additional improvements need to be made to the constitutional carry act. However, The sole purpose now of a LTC is for NICs Bypass, Expidtied Captiol entry, and for reciprocity.

Until we can convince the other 29 states, and territories to go with Permitless carry, we will always need a LTC. (If you want to travel with your gun, enter the capitol quickly, or bypass NICs when you buy a gun)

I don’t want to have to renew every 5 years. It’s a hassle, a PITA.

I would also like to see LTC’s, lifetime or otherwise be free. So I wonder how many of those that balked at paying for a lifetime, would get a lifetime if it were free?

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I do agree, additional improvements need to be made to the constitutional carry act. However, The sole purpose now of a LTC is for NICs Bypass, Expidtied Captiol entry, and for reciprocity.

Until we can convince the other 29 states, and territories to go with Permitless carry, we will always need a LTC. (If you want to travel with your gun, enter the capitol quickly, or bypass NICs when you buy a gun)

I don’t want to have to renew every 5 years. It’s a hassle, a PITA.

I would also like to see LTC’s, lifetime or otherwise be free. So I wonder how many of those that balked at paying for a lifetime, would get a lifetime if it were free?

It wasn't really much of a hassle for me (just did it in June). I did it all online for $25.00. The biggest hassle was digging up my DD-214 to scan in to get the veteran discount and designator. I've had it since they offered it, but for some reason I had to dig it up again...

Top Bottom