Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Sure seems like most of the homeless I see have really clean clothes on. Seems odd for a person with no home.

Nope, not giving you money.

There are plenty of ways to help yourself out of that situation that don't include begging on a street corner.

Agreed.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Perhaps my thinking is wrong, but I’d rather rescue a dog then a person! Someone will mention what about the kids? When we lived in Houston and they were giving away free food there was never a shortage of people waiting in line in nicer rides then mine for hours for it!

I would walk my dog past the school and see people dumping their kids for the free breakfast way before school starts. They got their free lunch at school, then many ended up at a community center for free dinner. Not a single one of those kids looked to be starving!

The problem is there is way to much free rides in America! Do some fall through the cracks, sure but it was my tax dollars feeding the free loaders!

Y’all want to fix the problems fine but I ain’t signing up for it!

A buddies wife got her PhD. In psychology and worked at the Montgomery county shelter for women & kids. Once in a while she would vent to me about the kind of crap she experienced daily. It’s no wonder there are homeless! Then again some liberal prosecutors step in and screw shit up even more.

In the beauty of nature we see the weak & sick die off! Our interference just keeps perpetuating this crap!

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    One junkie revived with 'narcan' complained that the cop who revived him ruined the best 'high' he'd ever had.

Later that same night, the same cop revived the same junkie for the second time and then the cop had an epiphany..." she lamented, I think I'm wasting my time and now thinks reviving these junkies should stop...because they won't stop injecting themselves with poison...so why should she save their undeserving asses?

Let em die - That's what they want.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I moved here in 95 I was homeless for a year I slept under the 360 bridge ladybird lake bull creek. I was blessed to have a car to sleep in but I always had a job.
    Back in those times being homeless was not glamorous period. It wasn't a scourge but it wasn't nothing like Today.

I have a hard time finding compassion for them these days. Back then you had to have some want to Today not so much.
    I really don't think Austin should spend that much money on this.
    They are making way to easy today
    I was homeless and jobless when I moved to Austin. Found a job in just a couple of days, made some friends, and couch surfed for a few months until I had rent money. Never felt homeless... Seems like normal shit you do in your 20s :laughing:

I have zero compassion for the bums you see blighting the city. There's all the help in the world available to them if they ask. They are the way they are because they choose to be.

Now some of these people seem to be practically homesteading medians and other fallow public areas. I see them with their elaborate tents and roped off sections... I kinda don't have a problem with that. Stake your claim!

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    It may be a bit off topic, but it was a beggar that finally convinced me to start carrying. I work near the Galleria area in Houston, and although I try not to have to stop anywhere between the white bread suburban hamlet I live in, and work, sometimes I have to, because I was too lazy to stop on my way in and fill up. One night about 2AM, I stopped to get a couple dollars in gas, and a man walked up to me and gave me a story about needing $5 or $10 for gas because he had to get to the hospital where his wife was. I had heard this story before, so all I said was I didn’t have any cash, but if he really needed gas, he could pull up across from me, and I would put a couple dollars in his tank for him (I was betting he didn’t really want gas $$, and I was right) He wanted the money, and I told him there was nothing I could do for him. As he walked off, cussing me, I had a feeling that I should get the hell outta there. I watched as he got to his car and got in the drivers seat. There was another person in the car, and they were taking loud and staring at me. I finished up quick, and was getting in my truck, when he got back out of the car and started walking towards me again. I didn’t wait around to see what he wanted! I bought my first handgun shortly after that, and there hasn’t been a day since that I didn’t have one on me. I live in a suburb north of Houston, and have lived here for 35 years. Until about 2 years ago, I had NEVER seen someone on one of the street corners around here with a sign asking for money. I saw it plenty on my way to work downtown, but never in my “hood”. Now it’s a regular thing. One lady even has a sign that has her PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle info on it, in case anyone wants to send her an electronic payment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    One junkie revived with 'narcan' complained that the cop who revived him ruined the best 'high' he'd ever had.

Later that same night, the same cop revived the same junkie for the second time and then the cop had an epiphany..." she lamented, I think I'm wasting my time and now thinks reviving these junkies should stop...because they won't stop injecting themselves with poison...so why should she save their undeserving asses?

THIS! Thank you.

The LIFE LONG drunks and the LIFE LONG dope fiends should have their own little CAMP where they can OVERDOSE and die since they really DO NOT WANT to live or GET BETTER.

One rehab? Maybe. Give someone a chance - a hand up.

More than one rehab? NO.

NOT on the taxpayer dime and NOT on any OTHER insurance policy.

I figure that IF they CHOOSE to not to WANT TO GET BETTER using a thing called FREE WILL... let them get their way in their own little camp.

The camp would be set apart for safety - crime issues, sanitation and public health reasons.

I know that this does not sound 'Christian' of me but here goes.

THEY CHOOSE TO LIVE THIS WAY.

If they choose to LIVE IN THEIR OWN FILTH with or without all of that free s army stuff (UGH!) - let them die in their own filth, vomit, blood, urine, dung, etc.

PLUS if you really saw what they get for their free s army stuff... well... sigh... do not get me started there now!

Cate
    PS: Seattle has some HUGE NEWS STORY out now, within the last couple of days, about how the bums will be HOUSED IN LUXURY CONDOS and apartments in HIGH RENT - HIGH COST PRIVATE AREAS.

The WEST and all over formerly CONservative states are going down the toilet faster and faster.

Even in hard core SO CALLED CONSERVATIVE small towns and counties... the LOUDMOUTHS want more crapola built for the bums and MORE handouts while they lament about MORE CRIME and TRASH ALL OVER formerly CLEAN rural, small town, small and large cities and counties.

BUILD IT and they will come! There are seriously a BUNCH OF DUMB BUNNIES living in LA LA LAND on the Left and on the RIGHT too! Crikey!

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Most "working girls" use the internet to set up their dates these days.

She was most likely a drug user who got kicked out of, or lost her home/apt because of her drug use. Opioids and meth are the typical culprits, and where likely originally used to mask trauma or MH.

Every last homeless person had a home. The homelessness is a symptom of their choices. Some directly, some indirectly. Giving a home to them won't solve their problems, it will just treat one symptom. Their choices and actions got them homeless, and only their choices and actions will get them back into a home.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Haven't been over on Harry Hines in Dallas lately have you?

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Haven't been over on Harry Hines in Dallas lately have you?

A funny. Years ago I stopped in a seedier part of Dallas (lower Harry Hines} to grab some cheap gas. A bum came walking up and said "It's really hot out here today, I could use a cold beer" I told him stand-by and went in and bought him a 6 pack. He smiled real big, popped a top, and wandered off. I smiled.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Had them come back just about swinging!

Feeling GOOD then instantly over and about to get dope sick IIRC.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    B
    Been homeless a couple times myself. Tent at the lake, bathing in a creek or the lake. Not fun when the temp is in the low 50°s and the water temp is about 65°.
    If you really want to, working your way out is doable. But it takes work. And want to.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    Baby ain't that the truth cold water and a cool breeze will put some excitement in yo life

Top Bottom