• ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    LEO training for OC law
    I know a guy who is helping to codify training for LEOs with regard to the pending OC law and is seeking input from common sense-equipped gun nuts, er, firearms enthusiasts. I've convinced him that this TGT bunch is NOT like OCT or OCTC. Have you got any ideas on what you'd like to see included or definitely NOT included as training elements for law enforcement officers making contact with open carriers? If so, share 'em here please.
    Military Camp

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    That the vast majority of criminals will NOT carry openly. They are too well known to LE.

That a little courtesy, from both of us , goes a long way.

WE are NOT the enemy. And many of us know as much as, if not more than, many of them know about gun safety and use. Don't pre-judge us.

from an idgit coffeeholic

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Already being discussed/worked by departments and agencies across the state. I honestly don't think the fears of LE harassment will pan out, the vast majority will not likely bat an eye at the sight of the average citizen OC'ing unless they are doing something to attract attention to themselves. Even if there is a quick license check, simple compliance will the request will mean the matter will be over with in less than a minute.

If anything, I think some people could use a little guidance on how to OC. I am more concerned about the OCT/OCTC types that think it's an excuse to Rambo up and run around acting like their SF. Not that the law prohibits it, but some common sense needs to come into play and based on their past shenanigans; I fear it is much more likely that they will try something that will cast us all in a negative light than the response of LE officers...

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I agree. Most already realize that citizens carrying doen't mean they are in danger. But there are some whose insecurity will cause them to swagger and draw unnecessary attention. And make us all look bad.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    LEO training for OC law
    I know a guy who is helping to codify training for LEOs with regard to the pending OC law and is seeking input from common sense-equipped gun nuts, er, firearms enthusiasts. I've convinced him that this TGT bunch is NOT like OCT or OCTC. Have you got any ideas on what you'd like to see included or definitely NOT included as training elements for law enforcement officers making contact with open carriers? If so, share 'em here please.

Seriously, I mean you're not bsing? That would be excellent. Some simple training on being aware of the law and being calm while investigating is just the thing needed in this circumstance.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    That the vast majority of criminals will NOT carry openly. They are too well known to LE.

That a little courtesy, from both of us , goes a long way.

WE are NOT the enemy. And many of us know as much as, if not more than, many of them know about gun safety and use. Don't pre-judge us.

from an idgit coffeeholic

This. While I am not a fan of OC pistols, or long guns outside of traditional areas where this historically occurred, this is the key. Calmly assess the situation and move on. Citizens will have the right to OC whether the police think its wise or not, so just assess if they are legally OCing and move on.

If anything, I think some people could use a little guidance on how to OC. I am more concerned about the OCT/OCTC types that think it's an excuse to Rambo up and run around acting like their SF. Not that the law prohibits it, but some common sense needs to come into play and based on their past shenanigans; I fear it is much more likely that they will try something that will cast us all in a negative light than the response of LE officers...

Wisdom as well. It goes back to the simple rule: "don't be a dick."
    Actually I think extremely few people will OC pistols.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    LEO training for OC law

I highly doubt any LE agency is going to take advice regarding policy or procedure from some guy who asks another guy to ask questions of an internet gun forum.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    OCers need to recognize that a man with a gun call will result in a stop by a cop. So they need to be polite. Cops need to be polite too. Maybe they could give the OCer a card stating that they have been checked on ________ by badge nu ________. So that if a second call is made later that day the OCer could just hand that to the second cop.

Man with gun calls need to have a record of who called, if the same person continues to make calls just as harassment, some action could be taken. Or the results of the stop should be relayed back to the caller with the admonishment of no calls for harassment because the don't agree with the law or some such.

I say this because a neighbor has called several times on me when I have been cleaning my guns in the back patio. I know who it is as only one house has a view over the privacy fence.

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    How's this for advice? Don't f%$* around with dudes legally carrying guns. When some little ninny calls the Five-O, tell them this is Texas baby, it ain't illegal.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just saw this today...

Police Officers from Jourdanton PD, Pleasanton PD, Poteet PD, Atascosa County Sheriff's Office, Texas DPS, Texas Game Wardens, the Atascosa County Attorney's Office, and other agencies met today to review the details of the Texas "Open Carry" laws that go into effect January 1st, 2016.

So, as I said, it's not being ignored and agencies are working through how to handle the change. For the vast majority of those who OC, it will be a non-issue...

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Cops' duties do not trump the rights of the citizens. More guns, the less need for LE.

In our society we need fewer doctors and fewer cops. Government out of our lives.

Top Bottom