• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKManiac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    Pasadena, TX
    How does LEO demos work? Can any LEO just request a demo or purchase full autos?

Or does demos/purchases have to be approved through the Cheif then ATF or what?

Im not a LEO but my father his and after owning a couple NFA items hes extremely interested. Plus it'll be ahell of alot cheaper then pre86 models lol

Thanks!
    Venture Surplus ad

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    The Dept. would have to purchase the gun to avoid the tax stamp process. Cops are still civilians, but they can be issued the firearms by the Dept.

That's my understanding of it.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Agency must be the purchaser. The weapon can be issued to the officer but must be returned to the agency upon termination of employment. ATF looks at any hanky panky w/NFA items very badly. Try to get around the law, spend 10-15 in the Federal pound me in the a$$ Prison.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Our PD just cut their MP5's up so they could sell them, not sure what thats all about but they are gonna have to do that to all the AR's they just bought cause someone messed up the purchase and bought 14" barrels.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    I don't know why they would have to cut up the MP-5's unless they bought them post 86. We have traded our MP-5's for M-16 Commando models (11.5" bbls).

SBR's are not included in the 86 ban. If the AR's are Semi, they should be able to trade/sell them via a class III dealer.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    Government purchasing agents can be a real PITA when it comes to guns. We used to sell/trade old guns and siezed items to get new stuff. Now the suits are scared to death of the liability of letting them back out on the street. Hello! They are going to FFL dealers and will be sold in compliance with Federal firearms laws!

The thing to remember is there are very few things a police agency owns. The parent govermental entity actually owns them. We don't own cars, The County owns the cars. They buy 'em and they sell 'em.

Siezed/forfeited items "may" be property of the agency but probably not. I know that if we sell our siezed firearms to a dealer, the money goes into the general fund of the County. We don't see a dang dime of it. We trade for "store credit" and use that to obtain what we need. The asset management pouges scream about it because they want to know where every paperclip is.

We have a Thompson Navy Model that is off the books and we cannot do anything with it (even though it is worth 20-30K). It was owned by the Sheriff who left office just before WWII. He did not feel the need to register it. We got it back after the war but he was already dead. No one chose to register it during the amnesty period so it is non-transferrable. Beautiful piece of history and can never leave our possession. Lucky for me, I am the only one around here that knows how to take it apart so I get to "play" with it regularly. Great shooter.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    We have a Thompson Navy Model that is off the books and we cannot do anything with it (even though it is worth 20-30K). It was owned by the Sheriff who left office just before WWII. He did not feel the need to register it. We got it back after the war but he was already dead. No one chose to register it during the amnesty period so it is non-transferrable. Beautiful piece of history and can never leave our possession. Lucky for me, I am the only one around here that knows how to take it apart so I get to "play" with it regularly. Great shooter.

I'd sure learn how to take that gun apart : )

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Our department can use siezed money to purchase some things most of the time the purchase cars for uc work. They also have a few firearms they use for trades in drug deals and whatnot.

Top Bottom