• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dapakattack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    DFW Area
    Hello All,

First I want to say thank you for all the great information you all provide on this site. I've used it as a resource for many things, including the selling of firearms to other Texas residents. I haven't found any info here specifically on this topic (maybe my search skills aren't very good...used firearm family)

With the times we currently find ourselves in, I have a couple of brothers (Texas residents, like myself, who are legally eligible to own firearms) that, for one reason or another (which does not include being anti gun or anything like that), do not own any firearms but would now like to have one (at least temporarily) for home protection.

Can I legally lend them a firearm that's not intended for a sporting purpose? (I believe this applies to a non-Texas resident) Both under Texas law and Federal law?. They may, at some point, purchase their own firearm(s).

Thank you for the replies.
    Target Sports

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    I don’t see any reason not to, in Texas. So long as they don’t have any felonies or legal reasons not to own one. In Texas, there’s no gun registration on everyday guns. So there’s nothing tied to you besides maybe a bill of sale. The only exception is NFA guns. I wouldn’t lend those out if you have any. (Short barreled rifles, suppressors, full auto guns etc.)
    Just remember that it is still YOUR gun that you’re lending out. If it gets stolen or used in a crime. That could lead to some trouble.
    Personally I wouldn’t lend out my nicest guns. Maybe the ones, that if it did get stolen, I wouldn’t miss so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rhino

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    DFW Area
    Just not something I'd want to do unless it was my kid. I'd make sure you actually see them shoot it at a range or someplace before letting them have possession, assuming you trust their judgement that much. Not much sense giving a gun to someone that might accidentally shoot a family member in a moment of indiscretion or panic. If they haven't already invested in their own self protection, how likely are they to go buy enough rounds and spend time to get proficient?

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Just not something I'd want to do unless it was my kid. I'd make sure you actually see them shoot it at a range or someplace before letting them have possession, assuming you trust their judgement that much. Not much sense giving a gun to someone that might accidentally shoot a family member in a moment of indiscretion or panic. If they haven't already invested in their own self protection, how likely are they to go buy enough rounds and spend time to get proficient?

Given the current circumstances it may be hard but this is very true.
    Take them to the range and help them choose a gun from there. No reason they can’t get one themselves right now if they’re perfectly legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dapakattack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    DFW Area
    OP, Am I right in guessing that the zip code of your town-of-birth doesn't start with a 7?
    You are correct. Born in the U.P. of Michigan, but raised here in the Great State of Texas.

Thank you all for the responses. I just wanted to verify that I could legally lend them something. Even before this all started, I've encouraged them to get at least a shotgun. Maybe now this will make them really consider doing so (and as we all know, you get one....they tend to multiply).

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Of course it is legal in Texas, but whether or not to do it would vary so much from family to family - What kind of family dynamic?, Do you fight or hug at family gatherings? - sh.., er, stuff like that makes for no possible standard answer. I'd be ok lending firearm within my clan.

edited last sentence to avoid OOC thread.

Last edited:

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Wife has some co-workers we’ve become friends with.

He loves guns, always wants to go to the range. Has some experience with shooting Glocks.
    She’s very anti-gun.

They called us yesterday.
    Asked if they could borrow a gun.

I’m on the fence but will likely let them borrow one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Wife has some co-workers we’ve become friends with.

He loves guns, always wants to go to the range. Has some experience with shooting Glocks.
    She’s very anti-gun.

They called us yesterday.
    Asked if they could borrow a gun.

I’m on the fence but will likely let them borrow one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Guns are available to buy and she might figure out something if they have to spend money. If you loan them one when this is over they will return it (hopefully) and it won't cost them anything to "feel" safe.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    OP, just make sure they know how to safely handle a gun. And are truly willing to use if necessary.

If they need training, train them.

Encourage them to start saving so they can buy their own guns.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I don't loan guns. Need one, buy it. That being said my family is different. With 5 kids + spouses, 15 Gkids (plus some spouses, see ggkids), and in July 6 GGkids if any needed a firearm for these times they would get an early inheritance.

As for the legalities, they are my property and what I do with it is my business, nobody elses. They are not forbidden so NOYGDB.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom