• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ibock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    McKinney
    Just wanted some feed back on Lehigh defense 380 ammo. Is it a gimmick or the real deal? Would you rather have 12 inch penetration with full expansion of hollow tip or 16 inch penetration of the Lehigh defense?
    Guns International

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Lots of test videos out there on the EwToobs of guys testing Lehigh ammo in various mediums, and hunting with them.

In a .380 - I'd be looking for penetration more than expansion, because .380 is at that power threshold that *most* expanding ammo just doesn't have the poop to reliably hit the vitals. Expanding ammo in pistols is primarily to keep the rounds from exiting the target - its not nearly as much about causing max damage. Ultimately with pistol ammo you're poking holes - preferably holes in the right places to gain the intended effect in the least amount of time possible.

Which pistol will you be packing in .380?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    So I'm confused.
    Is it "ammo" as stated in the OP, or just the bullets?
    Lehigh Defense sells ammo (MidwayUSA), bullets, and supplies Underwood bullets for their line of ammo. They may provide other companies their bullets as well.
    I buy the bullets from Lehigh and roll my own. My KelTec P32 is a potent gun with Lehigh loads but they no longer sell 32 ACP bullets to anyone but Underwood. I have a bunch though, long enough to last me. They sell most other bullets and provide load data as well.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Lehigh Defense sells ammo (MidwayUSA), bullets, and supplies Underwood bullets for their line of ammo. They may provide other companies their bullets as well.
    I buy the bullets from Lehigh and roll my own. My KelTec P32 is a potent gun with Lehigh loads but they no longer sell 32 ACP bullets to anyone but Underwood. I have a bunch though, long enough to last me. They sell most other bullets and provide load data as well.
    So, then you're actually not looking for ammo, like you said?

ETA: Sorry, you aren't the OP, lol.

Ibock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2021
    McKinney
    Lots of test videos out there on the EwToobs of guys testing Lehigh ammo in various mediums, and hunting with them.

In a .380 - I'd be looking for penetration more than expansion, because .380 is at that power threshold that *most* expanding ammo just doesn't have the poop to reliably hit the vitals. Expanding ammo in pistols is primarily to keep the rounds from exiting the target - its not nearly as much about causing max damage. Ultimately with pistol ammo you're poking holes - preferably holes in the right places to gain the intended effect in the least amount of time possible.

Which pistol will you be packing in .380?
    I am carrying a LCP max when I carry 380.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Why doesn’t anyone shoot cadaver to check ballistics instead of gel so we could know what happens to real tissue?

Paul Harrell comes close with his "meat target" - its far more palatable of a test for most than shooting actual human cadavers. Still doesn't 100% simulate shooting living tissue - for that, the closest you can come is shooting game animals or invasive animals, such as hogs, deer, or other larger game animals with similar tissue elasticity to humans.

Shooting a cadaver that has been drained of blood won't show you the real blood loss or how the circulatory system may react. Then you have to factor in decomp, and the fact that dead tissue doesn't react or have the same feel as live tissue.

If you want to know exactly how something will react when you shoot a human with it - the only 100% accurate measure, would be to shoot another human with it - and well, that really hasn't been done as a test medium since the 1940's with certain evil groups.

Lehigh's bullets do tend to perform quite well when shooting hogs. There have even been anecdotes of people bringing down deer and hogs using their .380 slugs - loaded hot of course - but I'm not sure I'd rely on any .380 to take either animal cleanly and humanely, or to stop a charge. Better than a pointy stick though.

9mm loads are actually pretty commonly used by handgun hunters to take white tail deer and smaller hogs, as well as varmints like coyotes. Chuck Taylor (gun writer, not the shoe guy) used to write all the time about hunting with his 9mms, he's also the guy who was doing a decades long torture test of a Glock 17 that allegedly included submerging it at the bottom of the ocean for months, freezing it in a block of ice, dragging it behind a truck, dropping it off buildings, and I think the last article I read of his on the subject 10+ years ago, he had something like 200,000 rounds thru it with the only replacement parts being springs.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    You may want to take a look at the youtube videos of tests of Federal Hydra-Shok Deep 380 rounds. All of the ones that I have watched showed that it performed very well.

Last edited:

reddog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2013
    Terlingua
    I am carrying the extreme defender in my EDC 380. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1018748889?pid=120032 I don't think 380 has what it takes to make a HP dependable, and then there is always the risk of the HP becoming blocked and acting like a FMJ. The theory behind these makes sense to me and from the videos I've seen they seem to work as advertised. That being said, holes kill things, anything that makes the holes more effective is a plus from my standpoint and these will not stop working because of a heavy layer of denim or two.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

Ayoub notwithstanding, I have 2 observations:

1). A .380 in hand is eminently better than a 10mm back home in the safe.

2). I participated in the care of two Officers, each gut-shot w/ one .380 round, mid upper abdomen, no armor, by a BG on a traffic stop. Both were really torn-up internally and almost died.

leVieux

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Just wanted some feed back on Lehigh defense 380 ammo. Is it a gimmick or the real deal? Would you rather have 12 inch penetration with full expansion of hollow tip or 16 inch penetration of the Lehigh defense?
    My friends that live in grizzly country only carry Lehigh in their guns when in the woods.. Whether it is a .44 mag, 10mm, or 45-70

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    <>

Ayoub notwithstanding, I have 2 observations:

1). A .380 in hand is eminently better than a 10mm back home in the safe.

2). I participated in the care of two Officers, each gut-shot w/ one .380 round, mid upper abdomen, no armor, by a BG on a traffic stop. Both were really torn-up internally and almost died.

leVieux

.380 has always been underestimated as a defense round. In small guns like the P365, the .380 version makes more sense for most people. Plus, you can get away with using your FMJ practice ammo as your defensive ammo with less chance of overpenetration than 9mm & .45ACP....

Top Bottom