• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    Anyone have any problems with the Lee Perfect Powder Measure?
    I am getting some deviance in what its dispensing, im using ball powder.
    Im weighing the powder alot and am seeing more of a variance than i expected.

Its been impossible to get 3 in a row to be the exact same.
    is .1 or .2 over or under going to affect me much?

How accurate do you have to be?
    I am using the lee safety scale and the Lee Perfect Powder Measure, I am pouring into a case then into the scale.

How much variance is OK/expected?

BTW using this scale is a Pain in the butt. the way to read 0.1 changes is difficult.
    DK Firearms

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Just started reloading rifle bullets and bought the Lee Perfect Powder Measure. Mine has been consistant. Did you cycle a full cylinder of powder through it before starting loading rds? Saw somewhere (maybe in the instructions; LOL) about doing that to insure consistent measures. I am now checking the 1st five and then running without constant weight checks. Checking against a FA digital and another digital I bought off e-bay. Lots of folks don't like the "inexpensive" scales but mine hold zero and weigh within .1 grain. Both are consistent and have had numerous R & R test run with different check weights so I am sure the Lee Perfect Powder Measure is right. Try running a load of powder throught he measure and see if that helps. Let us know what you come up with.

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    well at this point i have probibly run a hopper full through. but i will run another through
    it took forever to make the 50 rounds cause i would correct each charge by hand
    heh
    but i will run another batch through and do some testing
    i dont know how i missed that in the instructions but i did get the "kit" so all the instructions were scattered.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    I bought a Lee PPM a couple of years back, and tested it with the powders I use against an older RCBS Uniflow. The Lee was considerably more consistent.

Leadpot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Ballinger,Tx.
    Make sure your hopper is more than half full. In my experience letting it get too low drops powder inconsistantly. Clean it out and try with full or 3/4 full hopper if possible to clean.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    You have to take and set it then run and entire hopper full of powder through it to coat the inside of the dispenser and then you should be just fine with consistency. Thats the same system you used over at my house and i hit the same thing down to .01gr every time.

c_m_shooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Paradise
    I found with mine I had to tap the body of the measure after I dropped the powder so all all of it would fall out. I have been using mine for 12 years now and it is still pretty consistent.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't have much experience with the Lee Powder flow, but what kinds of powders are you using? I've read cylindrical powders sometimes are less consistent. Also, try and be very consistant with your movements. My movements are methodical and consistant. I get very good consistancy with my Dillon 550 and my lyman powder measure.

In reality, .2 and .1 grain variantions isn't going to be that big of a deal, especially if you aren't near maximums.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I have a Lyman measure I clean it often and run powdered graphite through it after cleaning, I double check loads with my Lyman scales and I use an Rcbs rangemaster 750 digital scales(excellent for the price), the graphite helps with static and measure will function better however with any measure it depends on type powder and be consistent in how you cycle it.

mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    So it is now better, i ran 2 loads through. i think it was because i didnt run a full hopper through to start with, closer to half i think. I loaded 50 .45 rounds last night. I am really enjoying this.
    I still plan on getting a digital scale, too bad the harbor freight scale isnt listed anymore.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    quote(I still plan on getting a digital scale, too bad the harbor freight scale isn't listed anymore. )quote

I suggest getting a RCBS 750 the cheap scales just aren't consistent enough, the 750 can be found on sale occasionally. I also have a Lee Auto Disk measure for pistol reloads and I run graphite though it every few weeks results are accurate down to about 3.0 grains below that it fails.

sjones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    carrollton,texas
    Just use plain old bounce sheets like your wife probably uses in the dryer and it will stop the static electricity.Just put one in the hopper with the powder. sj

drjavelina

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Central Texas
    I solved the static problem by using dryer sheets. Wipe the powder holder with a dryer sheet and I wrap a dryer sheet around it and hold it in place with a rubber band. Takes care of static.

Top Bottom